Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:34 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times

Advertisements

Our central air conditioner/heat pump failed today (2 weeks after a clean and check).
The guy is coming out tomorrow, and hopefully he'll be able to get it working again since it's going to be in the 90's this weekend. But the unit is 14 years old, so we'll probably need to be replacing it soon, even if he does get it going. My question is, should we replace it with another heat pump, or just get a regular air conditioner?
We live about 30 miles south of Chicago, so we have pretty cold winters, and it's my understanding that a heat pump doesn't save too much up north. Am I right in thinking the heat pump will cost more than a plain AC unit?
I also don't like that you can't put a cover on the unit in what would be the off-season for an air conditioner, as we have a lot of maple trees nearby, and a lot of debris gets into the unit, although we do the clean and check. And at 14 years it's done OK but it seems like getting used year 'round would make it fail sooner than if it only ran in the summer months.
Which would you get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 05:50 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
My question is, should we replace it with another heat pump, or just get a regular air conditioner?
If you have another source of fuel in your home (like natural gas)...
then you should get a gas furnace to use with either a heat pump or AC.

A heat pump with a gas furnace is convenient early and late in the heating season.
It produces a more even heat but the electricity (nearly always) costs more than gas

And yeah, at 14 years you're on borrowed time.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:58 PM

Oh, we have a gas furnace. You couldn't go with just the heat pump alone here. I'm not sure I see the benefit here of having the heat pump at all.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
With gas pretty cheap I'm not sure it matters, although that can change of course in the future. Seems like gas will probably be cheaper for heat than electricity for some time to come though. If you don't have a high efficiency furnace, that would probably a better place to put the extra money than a heat pump.

Now if you have all electric (no gas), that's when the heat pump shines. My parents both live (separately) in places with no gas service; they have heat pumps.

I have gas, replaced both furnace and A/C a few years ago, and did not get a heat pump.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:47 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
I am of the belief that a heat pump is not very effecient for heating when outside temps are below 30*. Cooling they are good at. I say if you have gas, convert to it for heat.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:17 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
So, you have a gas furnace for heat and an AC for cooling, correct? I'm in Eastern PA and doing new construction and the reccomendation here is to do a heat pump with a propane backup (no natural gas is available) for heating and cooling. If you are only using a heat pump for cooling (as a natural gas furnace is better), then my guess would be to stick with an AC unit.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:18 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I am of the belief that a heat pump is not very effecient for heating when outside temps are below 30*. Cooling they are good at. I say if you have gas, convert to it for heat.
Our builder mentioned that the brand new heat pumps can heat when the outside temperature is as cold as +10 F (not +30F). I was surprised and will research this.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:28 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
BLAZ

When I was living in a Boston suburb, our 120 homes all had heat pumps. Few liked them. When they try and heat they will blow cold air until the system knows it cannot perform so then it brings on the supplemental electric heating elements.

Later when we had gas run into the complex, most switched to gas heat thus the heat pump was then only for air conditioning. I think the gas company was doing the conversion for about $2,500.00. Those that did it, swore by it. Said their heating bills dropped a goodly amount.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:38 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I think we'll be replacing the unit with just an air conditioner. I'd had no experience with heat pumps until we moved in here a few years ago, so I'm glad for people's insights.
Now keep your fingers crossed we can cheaply get this old thing limping through the next few hot days at least!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:59 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
You'd better talk to a reputable contractor. I grew up in your area of the country, and from what I know, I think you're stuck with a heat pump. AC and Gas forced air systems require a conventional ventilation system. Changing to a more conventional gas heat system might be extremely expensive. This is why my advice to anyone, in almost all circumstances is to avoid heat pumps.
Gas forced air and conventional AC systems typically last longer and are less expensive to run. Heat pumps become terribly expensive once you go below 40 degrees F. Check with your contractor, and even get a couple of opinions, because you are talking big bucks no matter what you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House