Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:25 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times

Advertisements

Anyone know a good quality weedeater/edger/possible hedge trimmer.

I have heard some of the older brands are crap now like craftsmen. Just looking for some opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 AM

53 posts, read 476,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Anyone know a good quality weedeater/edger/possible hedge trimmer.

I have heard some of the older brands are crap now like craftsmen. Just looking for some opinions.
I use a ryobi. It's a old one but it still works! It has a double head so I can change it from a trimmer to edger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 AM

114 posts, read 777,502 times
I just bought a Troy Bilt 2040 XP trimmer/edger from Lowes. I had to order it because it was the newer 27cc motor model that the store didn't have yet. It has 5 other tools that you can buy to convert it to a hedge trimmer, chain saw, edger, blower, and something else. :-)

The reviews were better than the other trimmers that Lowes and Home Depot sell. That's why I went with this one. I've used it once and so far do good.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
One of my former posts-
//www.city-data.com/forum/20400926-post5.html

If you use the search forum box you will find a lot of discussions about lawn equipment.
So, to say it's been hashed and rehashed would be an understatement.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:41 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
I use a Husqvarana that I got at lowes. It's the top of the line (of what they carry at lowes) and it has a 4 stroke engine so you don't have to mix the gas and oil. The only thing about that is it's not the greatest if you use it to edge and want to turn it at a weird angle.

It starts fairly easy and is better made than cheaper eaters I've had in the past. This one is more for people with large properties or acreage.
I've used it for about 3 hours continuously a couple of times without any trouble. And it accommodates pretty thick line.

Avoid anything with a curved shaft.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:25 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Husky, and Stihl are two of the best, and Poulan aren't bad. You can find these brands at Home Depot or Lowe's. Don't skimp on price, just look for the features you want, considering weight and easy start, plus how it feels when you use it (fit?).

Old 05-26-2012, 08:39 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
My Craftsman 4 stroke had a GREAT ignition system but lacked the punch of my current Ryobi. My local Lowes doesn't have a Husqvarna,but, I would try one for sure. The Ryobi 4 stroke really has great power, but, does seems to have what I would call a vapor lock issue: stalls easier and is harder to restart when hot...... I also recommend the Shakespeare quick change line head and the large gauge square line which tout having titanium .....

Old 05-27-2012, 01:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I use a Husqvarana that I got at lowes. It's the top of the line (of what they carry at lowes) .....
Husky has made some really good equipment in the past and the only thing I would buy simply because I have had some great success with their equipment over the years however since moving into the the big box stores I have concerns they are compromising quality to sell to the masses. Once you make that switch your dealers can no longer make enough profit to continue carrying the line, the next thing that happens is the availability of service and parts becomes an issue. The professionals no longer want to touch the product and then there really is no more reason to provide a professional product.

Personally at this point I'll only buy Stihl.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:21 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,344 times
After going thru several cheap brands, I bought a commercial John Deere for about $400 and it's fantastic. I'm a 5'4" 108lb female and I have no trouble using it. The JD mechanic told me that it works just as well using the string wound only one way and forgetting about the string wound the opposite way. He is correct. I suspect any good brand would do but I love JD equipment.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:18 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times
I have been happy with my Echo trimmer. It is solid and puts up with quite a bit of abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House