Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 11:30 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Ivory soap does that mean Dove or some other trade name?
Nope, Ivory soap is Ivory soap, not Dove or any other brand. I'm sure most stores carry it.

I have a front loader, second one. ADORE it. Would not trade it for the world. More energy efficent than the top loaders and with the pedestal attachment, much easier on my back (I have a back injury). Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 01:42 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
Ivory soap does that mean Dove or some other trade name? Thanks very much, I'd like to try your formula.
No. Ivory soap is just a very basic soap. The one that use to advertise 99.99% pure and so pure it floats (I haven't seen an ad for it in YEARS).

Actually, the original recipe I had called for something called Fels Naptha. But I could NOT find that. Ivory was easier to find, and I read others who used it successfully. That wiki article has a similar recipe, only without the borax and slightly different ratios. I just started using it, so I may do some tweaking myself, but it was really easy and my clothes came clean. And they have NO scent at all. I will probably be adding some essential oil to my next batch b/c I like some smell

Also, may sure you by washing soda, not other detergents. It was a bit hard to find, but I actually found it in the grocery store next to the borax. I had tried target and home depot first (although, I didn't expect home depot to have it, I was there for something else and went by the cleaning section just in case).

Oohhh.. there are a couple more variations here about 2/3 of the way down the page, including a powdered version.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:06 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,022 times
We recently got the LG steamwasher and I found that it gets my whites really clean but the washer does have the sanitary cycle. The only thing with the front loader is the vibration, sometimes I swear it is a rocket taking off. My Brother-in-law has the high end Kenmore front loader and really likes his.

Before this machine I had the Whirlpool Calypso, and I really liked it and I was going to get the Cabrio but since LG had such a good reputation I decided to go with them.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:57 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,189,780 times
I have the regular-size Kenmore front loading washer, and I have no complaints whatsoever. My first front loader was exactly the same, but it was another name (Frigidare?). I used it for 8 yrs in Vegas without any problems.

When we moved to FL last year I had to get a new w/d, and I was really tempted to get the orange set at Sears. But since my laundry area is in my garage, I just couldn't justify the cost, so I got the Kenmore white. There's only 3 of us in the house, so the regular size works just fine for us.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:53 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
Ivory soap is the name and name of the manufacturer. See ivorysoap.com

Old 09-23-2007, 06:51 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,111 times
I just got a great deal on the 4.0 LG washer and 7.0 LG dryer at Sears!

I researched these to death, and the LG is great. I can't wait for my new house to be done so they can be delivered - I know, I'm a big geek.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:00 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
I just got a great deal on the 4.0 LG washer and 7.0 LG dryer at Sears!

I researched these to death, and the LG is great. I can't wait for my new house to be done so they can be delivered - I know, I'm a big geek.
You are not a geek. I took my "Consumer Reports" photo copies and an empty frozen pizza box when I was refrigerator shopping. My friends all teased me when I told them what I was going to do. When I got to Sears, there was another woman there with her research in hand.....and she asked to borrow my frozen pizza box to see if it would fit in the a freezer she was looking at.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:03 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
You are not a geek. I took my "Consumer Reports" photo copies and an empty frozen pizza box when I was refrigerator shopping. My friends all teased me when I told them what I was going to do. When I got to Sears, there was another woman there with her research in hand.....and she asked to borrow my frozen pizza box to see if it would fit in the a freezer she was looking at.
LOL! That's fabulous - good for you!

Old 09-23-2007, 07:05 PM

24 posts, read 126,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
That pizza box idea is excellent! OMG I had better check and make sure it will fit in the counter depth model!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:29 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheOC View Post
Cdc3217, do you have the Whirlpool Duet? We looked at those last night then I came home and read the reviews and almost everybody complained about the vibrations and the washer dancing right off the pedestal on spin. Apparently Whirlpool told the unhappy customers that the only way to prevent it was to take the washer off the pedestal. Have you had anything like that happen? TIA.
Yes we got a Duet (9200?) but did not buy the pedestal. I have it in the basement, so noise/vibration is not a big deal for me, but I have to say it seems pretty calm/quiet when I'm down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House