Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:57 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
I wish the OP picture was still there, but regardless, I'd say "close that puppy, close it good!"
You'd have loved the house behind ours. 2500 sq ft all cut up into rooms each no larger than about 120 sq ft. Kind of like a prison basement where inmates are kept in isolation cells. Totally bizarre especially given that the house has a view of the Puget Sound. Even the downstairs family room was small and divided into 2 separate compartments each under 100 sq ft. I've seen underground bunkers at the old pre-ww1 military installations built more open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 11:16 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
You'd have loved the house behind ours. 2500 sq ft all cut up into rooms each no larger than about 120 sq ft. Kind of like a prison basement where inmates are kept in isolation cells. Totally bizarre especially given that the house has a view of the Puget Sound. Even the downstairs family room was small and divided into 2 separate compartments each under 100 sq ft. I've seen underground bunkers at the old pre-ww1 military installations built more open.
Probably not, I do enjoy spacious rooms, that is not a feeling exclusive to open floor plan lovers.
I don't even object to rooms flowing from one to the other - L-shapes work well for that and, coincidentally, often provide obvious places to put walls (full or pony) up if you wish.

Our prior home had a large eat-in kitchen that opened onto the deck and I liked that just fine. There was a laundry/mud room between the kitchen and the garage with a door, then the good size kitchen (complete with walls on three sides and a peninsula on the fourth) and then the large dining room with a tray ceiling, a large window (we used to call them "picture" windows) and a glass paned door to the deck. There was a wall between all of that and the living room, but no door (however, I did talk often about making the opening smaller or even putting in pocket doors for complete close off, I'll admit.) The living room was comfortable size with cathedral ceilings and lots of light from 2 windows. Large bedrooms, one was cathedral ceiling, one had tray ceiling, down the hall. No cubes, no prison cells. Also no bowling alleys, warehouses, convention center lobbies.

I know, I know, we should never have sold it.

Last edited by SmalltownKSgirl; 02-26-2015 at 11:25 PM..

Old 02-27-2015, 12:01 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
[/u][/b][/color] This is a HGTV thing that they are trying to brainwash us.

a good example of this kind of thinking is me.

When I got my apartment that I am living in now, I re-did the kitchen in my style but a friend of mine who is a real estate broker said , oh don't get that, because if you sell not everyone will want that color for a sink and counter tops. So I listened to him and didn't get the color counter tops and sink I really wanted.

That was 23 years ago. 23 years !!!

So my advice is to any homeowner, Get what ever the freak you want and enjoy it, and don't worry about what a potential buyer somewhere down the line will want.....if they want it that bad, they can buy it themselves.

or if not, who cares, my home, I live there, and i am not moving any time soon.

PREACH IT! LOl So agree, your home enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House