Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:54 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Im screwed when the power goes out. We have a well that runs on electricity. So pretty much going to the bathroom becomes an issue after a few toilet flushes. No more water. No showers, no washing hands. We have jugs saved for emergencies but you will be amazed at how quickly you can go through water. We have a gas fireplace that runs just on natural gas. We won't freeze death so thats good. We have been looking into those home generators that are hardwired but they aren't cheap.
Our water well pump runs with a generator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 10:04 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
If the power is out in my home, I am basically living back in the 1700's

Old 10-30-2016, 09:25 PM

21 posts, read 19,852 times
you can get a gas wall furnace that when the power goes out a small room can be still be kept warm
the pilot light stays on and burns gas and hot in summer you can turn the pilot light off to stay cooler and restart the pilot light later but I think it needs electricity to get the pilot light to work again you need
natural gas piped into your home

Old 10-31-2016, 07:47 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times
Lightbulb gas wall furnace for power outages

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpful person View Post
you can get a gas wall furnace that when the power goes out a small room can be still be kept warm
the pilot light stays on and burns gas and hot in summer you can turn the pilot light off to stay cooler and restart the pilot light later but I think it needs electricity to get the pilot light to work again you need
natural gas piped into your home
Empire, Williams, Cozy, etc produce direct vent "Gravity Wall Furnaces" which do not need to be plugged in at all, they even come with a "millivolt' thermostat to turn on and off automatically without a power supply. Most of these don't require electricity to relight the pilot, have a piezo igniter like on a gas grill.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:04 AM

they should come with a battery back up to light the pilot in case of a power outage a flame near gas is too dangerous

Old 10-31-2016, 12:53 PM

you cannot have natural gas piped into an apartment or building its is not fair or safe for other tenents

Old 10-31-2016, 12:57 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
you cannot have natural gas piped into an apartment or building its is not fair or safe for other tenents
That is just plain silly.
I lived in several buildings with natural gas.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:08 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
Quote:
they should come with a battery back up to light the pilot in case of a power outage a flame near gas is too dangerous
Well, dang, there is another one of those "We should have all died many years ago!" things.
Spark ignition gas kitchen ranges are a relatively new invention. In fact, nearly all gas appliances when originally built had "light with a match" burners and/or pilot lights. Even RV appliances did. In fact, some still do!
My first travel trailer even had mantle type propane lights that were lit with a match! The burner in the propane refrigerator was lit with a match. The pilot light in the oven was lit with a match (so is the one in my 2002 motorhome!).
My propane gas grill has to be lit with a match, because the electric spark gadgets are very failure prone.
The top burners on our gas kitchen range can be lit with a match, but the oven can not.
Remember, what some consider "dangerous" today was normal not so long ago!

Old 10-31-2016, 01:15 PM

a lot of people are not careful even if you think you are you still can make a mistake

Old 10-31-2016, 01:29 PM

one person should not die for another persons mistakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House