Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 03:33 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,311 times

Advertisements

From the main road, how many left-right turns are to your house?

For example, I live in a subdivision. From the main road I have 3 left turns to my house.

We have a friend in a new subdivision, and I've been there half a dozen times. I still need to follow map quest, and I am normally someone who is pretty good with direction. It's not likely for me to get lost.

It is 9 left-right turns to their house from the main road. Sometimes I don't even get out the same way I went in. It's not like me to have such a mental block after being to a house so many times. I'm thinking maybe 9 turns is a little more than usual? The street names are three words long too! (ex sundance creek crossing)

Like I say, just curious. I can't imagine what it's like for them to give that many directions to their house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
When heading south one right, one left...so two total. Wow! Look at me add.

My nephew and his wife just moved into their new house in December. I've only been there 3 times but I get turned around each time. Their subdivision street names are mostly trees & spices. Plus with it being a newer subdivision, a lot of the houses look the same and there isn't much landscaping around.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:38 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Turn right off the main road, and you are on my street.

People still get lost... usually those with GPS in their car.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:48 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I a not sure how you define a main road. We live on an Island so there are no roads used by people just passing through. There is a central road across the island, but we do not use it to get to our house. The road in front of our house may be described as a main road (it is paved, it is used to get to toher roads), but it gets mostly local traffic and people driving around looking at houses (Sunday Drive types). From one bridge there is one sort of turn to get to our road. It is more of a cloverleaf type turn than a normal turn. If you mean a stop to turn kind of turn, then there are none. From the other bridge two turns are necessary to get to our road, there is a third sort of turn, but it is a sharp curve not a turn. One street curves sharply (90 degrees) and then becomes a different street, but you do not stop to turn.

A friend lives in a high end subdivision in a hilly area with cul de sacs. He lives at the higest point in the sub. I cannot even guess how many turns to get there. The streets are not in a grid, sot you have to go part way down one street then back on another, cross over to a third and come back in the oringal direction. Lots of zigzags, lots of going away from or perpindicular to where you want to go just to get to a street in the direction you need. He paid a premium to be at the end of the maze. I guess it is considered safer, or more prestigious or something.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:58 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Depends from which main road you come in from....
6 turns min. I think from the closest one.

I live on a very private secluded country road that may have occasional traffic spaced up to 30 min. or the hr during daylight... at night, no traffic for sometimes that good 6-7 hrs. Mostly residents only know of this road... and there aren't too many homes here either.
Hence a cyclist paradise = not much cars.

P.S. We don't get flyers / menu / brochures at all or available food delivery much... only know of 1 pizza joint that states they deliver here (their sign on a neighbour's yard)... everytime I get stuff delivered (like from sears / furniture stores / hardware stores etc.) that is not from Fedex, UPs or mail... they call me every time because they still get lost. Yah... GPS does not help you much on my street.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:30 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
From the main road, how many left-right turns are to your house?

For example, I live in a subdivision. From the main road I have 3 left turns to my house.

We have a friend in a new subdivision, and I've been there half a dozen times. I still need to follow map quest, and I am normally someone who is pretty good with direction. It's not likely for me to get lost.

It is 9 left-right turns to their house from the main road. Sometimes I don't even get out the same way I went in. It's not like me to have such a mental block after being to a house so many times. I'm thinking maybe 9 turns is a little more than usual? The street names are three words long too! (ex sundance creek crossing)

Like I say, just curious. I can't imagine what it's like for them to give that many directions to their house.
Des

Can I assume they live in a limited/secured entrance neighborhood or one built around a natural obstacle like a lake?

Thanks

Old 06-06-2012, 05:35 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
2 turns. You have to drive past a couple streets to get to the second turn but I'm pretty conveniently located

Old 06-06-2012, 06:07 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Two, but it is still hard to find because the streets are small, poorly marked, and do not go "through".

Old 06-06-2012, 06:18 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
One.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:21 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Two right turns from one direction or two left from the other. Right smack in the middle from either direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House