Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,054,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Any REAL locksmith would never make this statement/suggestion- it is an IRC code violation.
Nor would a locksmith install such a lock on a residential structure based on said code. But, you could sell a double cylinder deadbolt to an individual- and they can install it any way they choose- as you technically stated above without the "I would recommend".

Nothing like looking for the key to the front door at 3am with the house full of smoke, doesn't matter that key is four feet away in a little bowl.

I always thought those double keyed locks were a very bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 02:18 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,795,541 times
our contractor installed our lock (Kwikset) on our new front door for us but they still had other work to do so each day someone would be going in and out with the same key hidden near the front door (we hadn't moved in yet) - easy for just anybody to come along and make a copy of it for later. After it was all done I saw in the instructions that I am able to re-key it with a provided tool. The only problem was there was no 2nd set of keys to re-key to. My only recourse was to buy another set just to swap the keys and return it. Yes I re-keyed that one for the next purchaser to match the key.

Ultimately though I want the keyless (keypad) ones - are there any negatives to those? I just hate having to dig my keys out since I already have keyless for the car.

Last edited by ovi8; 07-24-2012 at 02:27 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 07:00 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,324,404 times
I re-did all of my locks when I moved in. I have push-button locks. These come in manual and electric (hardwired or battery). I'm not so sure why ppl are so hung up on keys. I never have to worry about losing my keys. If a contractor needs to get in, I give them the code, and I change it when the work's done.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:50 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,334,215 times
Quote:
Any REAL locksmith would never make this statement/suggestion- it is an IRC code violation.
Nor would a locksmith install such a lock on a residential structure based on said code. But, you could sell a double cylinder deadbolt to an individual- and they can install it any way they choose- as you technically stated above without the "I would recommend".
That's if that's the only emergency exit, correct? If all bedrooms (and basements) have an accessible (and of the correct size) emergency exit then having a double-cylinder deadbolt is okay?

Just curious.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:22 PM

17,404 posts, read 65,560,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That's if that's the only emergency exit, correct? If all bedrooms (and basements) have an accessible (and of the correct size) emergency exit then having a double-cylinder deadbolt is okay?

Just curious.
In a word- no.
The code is as straightforward as you can get-

R310.1.4 Operational constraints.
Emergency escape and rescue openings shall be operational from the inside of the room without the use of keys, tools or special knowledge.

That would include any exterior door, window, or other means of access (i.e. window wells, etc.).

Old 07-26-2012, 05:57 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,265,165 times
Quote:
In a word- no.
The code is as straightforward as you can get-

R310.1.4 Operational constraints.
Emergency escape and rescue openings shall be operational from the inside of the room without the use of keys, tools or special knowledge.

That would include any exterior door, window, or other means of access (i.e. window wells, etc.).
Actually, this code varies by location. In my area, the code is an owner occupied home can have Double Cylinder Dead Bolts, while all rental and commercial applications have to have "one action egress". Personally, I have single cylinder on my home... I value the ability of my children to get out of the house over keeping people out of my house.

There are applications where a double cylinder is beneficial, such as a wall of patio doors leading to a pool.... where the parents do not want the children to have access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I re-did all of my locks when I moved in. I have push-button locks. These come in manual and electric (hardwired or battery). I'm not so sure why ppl are so hung up on keys. I never have to worry about losing my keys. If a contractor needs to get in, I give them the code, and I change it when the work's done.
Pushbutton locks are a great help but manual means non-electronic and electronic can be hardwired or battery operated. I recommend manual because, honestly, the lifespan of electronic locks is very short... especially given their price.

As to the other statements made by Brooklyn Locksmith... where s/he is Multi Lock and Medeco are common and good quality locks. I have found that outside of densely populated areas, these locks are overkill for residences. People do not gain entry by picking the locks... they break windows or kick in doors between the garage and kitchen. (these doors are commonly interior doors and weaker than exterior doors)

Old 07-26-2012, 06:09 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,502,821 times
Yep'law enforcement has thft expers give secruity smeenar alot. Everyone recomed exterior door with dculblke deadbolt lock I ever heard of the The Key;no pun inte3nded) is to place a inside key in the lock.The will aqlos tell you how to secure the dor face plate so that the mai 2X 4 surroundig the door frame its tied into them.But then most fire offical will alos stress that at night a window in the bedroom be easily used as a exit alos. Most die trying to get to the exit door mstly dying of smkoe inhailation. If they are o second flooe even being able to exit it to the ground.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 781 times
Yes, you definitely need to change or re-key the locks, simply because you can never know who has possession to your keys. Also if you've moved to first owner home, the contractors have a copy to your keys, therefore, you must change or re-key the locks on the exterior doors. Good luck.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:36 AM

10,045 posts, read 6,313,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockTech247 View Post
Yes, you definitely need to change or re-key the locks, simply because you can never know who has possession to your keys. Also if you've moved to first owner home, the contractors have a copy to your keys, therefore, you must change or re-key the locks on the exterior doors. Good luck.
Oh, I don't know. I've never changed the locks since I bought my home 15,5 years ago. I know both of the last two families that lived in my house (anyone before them is deceased) and they're lovely people who still live in the neighborhood. I'm sure they have no interest in breaking back in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House