Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2017, 11:19 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,028,127 times

Advertisements

We are new home-owners, having recently moved into our first home. The home had a single previous owner, who had installed a security camera at the front and left it when he moved out. We want to start using this camera to check on the home when we are away, etc. The problem is, I have no idea on setting up such cameras and recording systems. The camera seems to be of this type (Alibi IP Outdoor Dome Camera):

https://www.amazon.com/Alibi-Megapix.../dp/B0144QECI6

There is a cable that connects to this camera inside a small cabinet, where the Internet cables also come in to the house. This cable is connected to a PoE injector, and there is another cable (Ethernet cable?) that comes out of it, and is not connected to anything (see pictures).

Help with Security Camera Setup/Operation-20171225_102035.jpg

Help with Security Camera Setup/Operation-20171225_115158.jpg

The only information I got from the previous home-owner is a set of username/password for this camera (not sure where to use these?). From here, what do I need to buy/set up to view the images from this camera on my computer or my phone?

All helpful suggestions are appreciated. Thanks you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 11:28 AM

Adding image

Help with Security Camera Setup/Operation-small.jpg

Old 12-25-2017, 05:26 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Lightbulb First step, find a PDF manual for Alibi camera.

Looks like that's a pretty good camera, it is listed as being ONVIF Profile S certified, which means it works with multiple options for a digital recorder, camera viewer clients, etc.

Also looks like there is a free mobile app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
There is a cable that connects to this camera inside a small cabinet, where the Internet cables also come in to the house. This cable is connected to a PoE injector, and there is another cable (Ethernet cable?) that comes out of it, and is not connected to anything (see pictures).
One end of the PoE injector goes to the camera, the other goes to your router/cablemodem.

Quote:
The only information I got from the previous home-owner is a set of username/password for this camera (not sure where to use these?). From here, what do I need to buy/set up to view the images from this camera on my computer or my phone?
You'll need to determine what the IP address is for the Alibi IP Outdoor Dome Camera. Sometimes when you hook up a new device to your router, the router will show the dynamic IP address assigned to the device. Or you can download the "Alibi Discover Tool" for Windows.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 12-25-2017 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: Alibi Discover Tool

Old 12-26-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
One end of the PoE injector goes to the camera, the other goes to your router/cablemodem.

You'll need to determine what the IP address is for the Alibi IP Outdoor Dome Camera. Sometimes when you hook up a new device to your router, the router will show the dynamic IP address assigned to the device. Or you can download the "Alibi Discover Tool" for Windows.
Okay, once I connect the other end from the PoE injector to my router/cablemodem, then what? How do I get the camera output on my phone or computer?

Old 12-26-2017, 08:27 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Exclamation Alibi cameras does not appear to be "cloud enabled", do not contain internal storage for video recording.

Alibi it should be compatible with most network video recorder software (e.g. installed on a computer or network storage appliance) and with smartphone camera viewing apps (e.g. TinyCam).

While it's a good camera for more advanced users, it isn't a consumer-friendly "plug-n-play" brand, does not have a way to directly enable secure remote access, capability to store or email images, nor does it send to a cloud server. If you want these features, you would need an ONVIF-compatible network video recorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Okay, once I connect the other end from the PoE injector to my router/cablemodem, then what? How do I get the camera output on my phone or computer?
Download "Discovery Tool" (link above) to a Windows PC. It will tell you the IP address of the camera. Put this in a browser, use the password provided to you by the previous owner, and the camera should come up on your computer.

Do the same with their "Alibi Witness Mobile App" on your smartphone, and you can view the camera on your phone when your phone is connected to your WiFi. https://youtu.be/GcKy_tQwUpA

Setting up the camera with a non-changing (static) IP address, making it accessible from outside your network (port forwarding, dynamic DNS), and installing a recorder (Alibi cameras do not contain internal storage for video recording) and the like are a bit more complex, best option is to find a local tech friend and ask what kind of scotch she'd like in exchange for setting up your security camera (mention the phrases static ip, port forwarding, and dynamic DNS).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House