Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I was hoping for good, solid, death rays for killing since it's coming up on spider season. (I HATE those things!) Already I've had to kill three...

The only thing I know that works is to spray that horrid poison (Raid like substance), around the door ways, windows and baseboards. I then post signs outside:

"Warning! Spiders not welcome inside this house! Violators will be shot!"

If necessary, I stick their crumpled remains on little toothpicks and stick those in to the ground as an added warning to any other eight legged MORON who thinks about entering.

I have no insect problem...I get no insects in the house...just spiders. WHY! Why is that necessary! I want a sure fire way to rid myself of them once and for all barring burning down the fricken house and yard.
Could be worse...

Do not open this link if you have arachnophobia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 11:51 AM

9 posts, read 41,914 times
Smile Bed Bugs are GONE!

I have found the solution to bed bugs! Yipee! We are finally bed bug free!

We live in Manhattan, NY. Our downstairs neighbor is an elderly hoarder who has been in his apartment since the 1960s. The bed bugs have crawled up inside the walls and into our apartment from his. The professional exterminator the landlord got for us sprayed our unit which really didn't help anyway. The exterminator said that as long as the hoarder does not clean out and eliminate his bed bugs that they will continue to crawl through the walls into other units.

After almost a year of exterminating and following the exterminators instructions we still had bed bugs. Through my own research I read that rubbing alcohol kills them on contact as well as their eggs. I was skeptical. However, I decided what can it hurt to try it. IT WORKED! I watched bed bugs die instantly infront of my eyes.

Non-toxic miracle!

We bought gallons of rubbing alcohol and large spray bottles. Filled the bottles and went to work. We had already sealed all cracks as much as possible. Outlets and light switches are the only problems and I still can't figure out how to seal those so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Since we know the bed bugs are still downstairs, every week we strip the beds (which already had bed bug covers on the matresses and box springs) and wash and dry on HOT. While they are washing we vacuum everything. As soon as we are finished we take the dust bag out of the vacuum and seal it in double plastic ziploc bags and throw away. I spray the vacuum inside and out and all attachments with rubbing alcohol then I get to work on the beds, floors and walls. Every inch is sprayed...walls, floor, furniture...everything. I take apart the beds and spray every crack in the frame. Then I let it all dry. and replace the covers and bedding and that is it.

We have not had a bed bug bite in 6 months!

Like I said, since they are still downstairs, I keep up this routine. I think it will be an ongoing battle, but the war is over and no toxic chemicals sprayed in my home. When the exterminator would spray we would all have trouble breathing for days and the bugs were back almost immediately.

Hooray for rubbing alcohol! Good luck folks!

Old 07-18-2013, 10:53 AM

Sounds reasonable. This is key to your success:

"Every inch is sprayed...walls, floor, furniture...everything. I take apart the beds and spray every crack in the frame. "

BTW, rubbing alcohol has some powerful fumes. What percentage alcohol did you use and how did you deal with the fumes while spraying?

Old 07-19-2013, 12:27 PM

690 posts, read 963,454 times
I sprayed pest repellent outside my kitchen window a few hrs ago cuz squirrels were eating through my window screen. Is it safe to open it? I can still smell the odor coming from outside.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:21 PM

Dunno, you DO live in New Jersey... (Just look on the can for instructions.)

Old 08-02-2013, 03:14 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
I'm swearing on the DE. I put it on my windowsills, and any crevices around the house like small cracks between the floor the baseboards. I dust my dogs and cats with it and put it into their food for parasite control. I have almost no bugs in the house except house flies that get in when someone leaves the door open. I notice even they land on the windowsills and they are toast if they do. I hate spiders in the house and I vacuum very thoroughly where ever I see a web or a spider. After a while they seem to have been pretty much exterminated. The DE seem to be all I need but we don't have the same degree of insect problems here in the north as in many places in the more southern states.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
We hired a company in NM, and it was worth the $40.00 every 3 months. Then we moved here and the price was about $200 a year, still not bad, then $250 and finally about $300 plus they were not doing a particularly good job. Hubby does it now, we have very few bugs, that are alive anyway and I don't have to pay him anything, just provide a good meal and maybe a glass of wine..

Old 08-14-2013, 05:09 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
I use the Ortho home Defense with great success. I spray twice a year outside but not inside. I have no big issues in my house.

I also bug bomb the shed once in awhile and am looking for a solution for around the pool. Spiders freak me out so the less the better.

As for the yard I use the Cutter backyard spray that connects to my hose. Works great for te small annoying bugs big I still want to do something along the wood line for ticks and Mosquitos. Although since I have fixed my pool by adding stone around it the number if skeeters has decreased to almost none.

Ill be burying my gutters next year to reduce the problem of standing water even more which should help a lot.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:03 AM

45 posts, read 100,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Sounds reasonable. This is key to your success:

"Every inch is sprayed...walls, floor, furniture...everything. I take apart the beds and spray every crack in the frame. "

BTW, rubbing alcohol has some powerful fumes. What percentage alcohol did you use and how did you deal with the fumes while spraying?
Unfortunately, i too am dealing with this situation and i have gone with the 91% rubbing alcohol along with dryer sheets placed between mattress and box springs...and yes first everything vac and cleaned top to bottom, inside and out...it has been 2 weeks and guess what..seen nada of the lil suckers...i'm still on guard, but this has worked!!

Old 08-26-2013, 05:40 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
I'm getting these little brown 'ants' that move really fast on my kitchen counters, but likely not ants...they don't bite, but they move really fast...also, i can't find their trail, path like i typically do with ants to caulk or plug up. They seem to be coming from all over......i could spray with insecticide, but that is just unsafe as they could crawl on my silverware and pots/pans.I don't know if Boric acid powder is safe to use in the kitchen. Suggestions? Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House