Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 10:57 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,660,124 times

Advertisements

Let us offer advice on how to hire and deal with trades people. There is enough of Why I Do or Do Not Need Them chats. Let us deal with I am going to have someone else do it regardless of the reasons.

I will start.

I make it clear they must have all necessary materials. I will not pay for any...oops...I need so and so trips.

If a simple replacement/addition with no tearing apart and see what one finds, then I want a firm cost bid. Like a new deck built on my house. A light fixture replacing one already installed.

Never hire friends or relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 11:18 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,890,710 times
1) If your county has any sort of licensing law... don't hire unlicensed contractors.
2) Never do anything more than the first troubleshooting hour by the hour.
2a) Always have a solid all inclusive price (in writing) for what YOU want done.
2b) If more might be needed have a "not to exceed" price (in writing) before they start.
3) Don't pay a single penny until the small job is 100% done, verified and if needed inspected.
4) Larger jobs warrant down payments but never more than 50% until done. (see #3)
5) Don't expect them to install your materials at all and certainly not for any less than their own.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,900,793 times
I've found that subs with insurance and bonding pretty much separates the wannabes from the pros. NEVER give money up front. If the sub can't carry the job on his own money, you don't want or need him. Make sure that the payout is specified in the contract and what, if any, warranties are implied or furnished and any exclusions. Ask for a company history. If he hasn't been around for the last 10 years, he may not have a clue what he's doing even if licensed. There's a huge difference between passing a written test and having actual knowledge of the trade.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:18 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,597,321 times
It is really funny to read what homeowners think is proper to do with tradesmen.
I have even read where it is suggested not to let them use the front door.

I have been a carpenter over 35 years and a contractor 20 years.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:19 PM

250 posts, read 379,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
1) If your county has any sort of licensing law... don't hire unlicensed contractors.
2) Never do anything more than the first troubleshooting hour by the hour.
2a) Always have a solid all inclusive price (in writing) for what YOU want done.
2b) If more might be needed have a "not to exceed" price (in writing) before they start.
3) Don't pay a single penny until the small job is 100% done, verified and if needed inspected.
4) Larger jobs warrant down payments but never more than 50% until done. (see #3)
5) Don't expect them to install your materials at all and certainly not for any less than their own.
Excellent advice. I would add that you should never hire anyone you don't feel comfortable around, use your gut a little.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:59 AM

41,815 posts, read 51,008,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
If a simple replacement/addition with no tearing apart and see what one finds, then I want a firm cost bid. Like a new deck built on my house. A light fixture replacing one already installed.
I don't think anything is ever "simple". Using your example for a deck in my back yard the question becomes how many boulders are you going to have to jackhammer. You might get lucky and not hit any but that's unlikely.

Would you be more accepting of this is my high bid and it might be something less?

Old 06-18-2012, 02:06 AM

41,815 posts, read 51,008,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I have even read where it is suggested not to let them use the front door.
I was in the coal delivery business for years. I often had to go into peoples homes sometimes when they weren't even there but I never used the front door and would suggest they put down some newspaper where I had to enter. I think if you're in a business where you might be realy dirty you should try and avoid the front door.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:52 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,635,711 times
The hatred towards Contractors is continually exposed on this forum as well as among street conversation. Why don't you start hating on your government. They are the real enemy. Contractors are just trying to make a living like everyone else. There are just as many bad ones as any other trade your life may be in need of some day. There are bad Doctors, Lawyers, Clerks and bad Landscapers. I never read one bad post about "those damn Doctors". This is America, home of a 2nd rate health care system where access to health is only available to the wealthy and those fortunate enough to have employee sponsored insurance. Why not say all Doctors suck, and hate them as well?

Like anything else in life, use your best judgement before making a purchase. You stop by 5 new car dealers before buying that nice new car but that don't make the 4 you did not purchase from all crooks criminals and bums. Educate yourself before your purchase. Just because a Contractor has a license don't mean they are good. Anyone can buy a Contractors license. It's just a fund raiser for your government. Just because a Contractor is a member of the BBB don't mean they are good. Anyone can buy into the BBB for $400. And buy position for additional extortion funds. Just because a Contractor is on Angies List does not mean they are good. Anyone can have their friend make a recommendation to get their friend the Contractor on it, then the Contractor can buy their way into position.

BBB is not a government organization. It's a private FOR PROFIT company. Angie is not on the consumers side. Angie used to be Angie's List (same as Craigslist) and she failed badly then started her Contractor referral service. And the Consumer fell for the scam.

In the end it is YOU the consumer who must do their homework and make choices. If you had one bad experience with a Contractor, blame yourself, not the stupid Contractor who did wrong. And in many cases it's the hatred the Consumer has towards the Contractor who causes friction. I can speak personally with the thousands and thousands of homes I been in, many times the very people who hired you are not very nice. They treat you like the enemy. This attitude causes friction which leads to misunderstanding and lots of grief.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:38 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,936,599 times
I have spent years talking to longtime local residents about their best experiences and I now have a list of experts that I carry with me everywhere.... Plumber, electrician, tree trimmer, lawn guy, roofer, painter/drywall, general handyman, and so on. I have used them all through the years and I am happier with them than with others I have tried. I pretty much let them do things their way, but all on my list are reasonably trustworthy, licensed if applicable, insured and bonded, and have never asked for payment up front. I write them a check immediately on their way out the door, though, since it only seems fair.

I dread the day that one of them retires or dies, since several are no longer young. The hardest one to replace, I think, might be the general handyman. He is not cheap but has years of experience and will bring in a licensed tradesman when there is any question that one might be needed. He is a wizard at "honey do" things like installing doors or getting kitchen drawers to slide more easily or putting up rock solid curtain rod supports or installing ceiling fans.

And yes, if I were doing something major like a small addition, I would get a general contractor. I'd ask my handyman who he knows, believe it or not. He knows his limitations and also I would bet he knows someone.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 06-18-2012 at 09:55 AM..

Old 06-18-2012, 11:25 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't think anything is ever "simple". Using your example for a deck in my back yard the question becomes how many boulders are you going to have to jackhammer. You might get lucky and not hit any but that's unlikely.

Would you be more accepting of this is my high bid and it might be something less?
Or in attaching to deck to the house, you find the wood rotted, in need of replacement. While not the same situation, the summer after we bought our house, we were going to replace just the wood decking. After pulling the deck boards, we found one of the end joists almost completely rotted and a couple of others starting to rot. The previous owners had covered it up by sandwiching the joist with two boards. We ended up replacing all of the joists, which was not planned. The rotted joists could just as easily have been rotted wood or insect damage to the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House