Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:19 PM

819 posts, read 3,207,744 times

Advertisements

WOW @ certain people getting mad over the jokes. . .

Old 06-22-2012, 12:19 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
. I have an army of lawyers.
Cracks me up when sopmeone tries to make themselves sound like big stuff by making comments like this. Someone has been watching too many TV shows.

An "army" of lawyers does not make you any more potent than somone with one good lawyer (maybe backed up by a good paralegal or associate. Anyone in the world has access to "an army of lawyers" The US is full of hungry lawyers with little work. Having a lot of lawyers or even one lawyer does nto make you right, or more powerful. It is just silly. What are you trying to make up for with comments like this and the constant condescension, arrogance,dripping derision and/or attempts to show off? Are you 5'1" or something? Small feet maybe? Definitely a problem here.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:25 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
There are articles that suggest it might not be legal to use video surveillance of a fenced back yard.

USE OF SURVEILLANCE CAMERAS IN RESIDENTIAL AREAS

This article was written concerning the state of Connecticut. It says that surveillance of someone's front door is probably perfectly OK because it is in plain view. But the presence of a privacy fence suggests that the back yard is not in plain view and unauthorized surveillance may be in invasion of privacy.

I see no reason not to speak to the local police about this.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:45 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
OMG, it was a JOKE. Lighten up...

For the record, a homeowner could bury anything in their own back yard -- except actual dead bodies of murder victims -- and I wasn't suggesting he bury his neighbor in his back yard. Although.... The phrase "kill two birds" comes to mind.
Then I guess you don't mind if I bury a few gallons of Chlordane, in leaking canisters (I have gallons of it), or a few hundred smoke detectors with Americium, or a few drums of ethylene glycol, or a nice container of dimethyl mercury, or dump lots of motor oil, right next to your property. Especially if you are on a well. Hey, it's a free world.

My video cameras at some of the houses (the commercial cameras), have a very wide field of view. I don't think I have ever even looked at any of the hard-drive images, and never would unless someone broke into the house (well, they would just be handed over to the police).

Take a chill pill.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formosa View Post
We do not get along since the first day I moved in the house.
Why?

The answer to that question may have a lot to do with why your neighbor has a camera on your house.

If, indeed, he does and you aren't just paranoid ...which leads us to the second question:

Are you doing anything illegal?

Old 06-22-2012, 12:53 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Cracks me up when sopmeone tries to make themselves sound like big stuff by making comments like this. Someone has been watching too many TV shows.

An "army" of lawyers does not make you any more potent than somone with one good lawyer (maybe backed up by a good paralegal or associate. Anyone in the world has access to "an army of lawyers" The US is full of hungry lawyers with little work. Having a lot of lawyers or even one lawyer does nto make you right, or more powerful. It is just silly. What are you trying to make up for with comments like this and the constant condescension, arrogance,dripping derision and/or attempts to show off? Are you 5'1" or something? Small feet maybe? Definitely a problem here.

LOL! Probably some loser sitting in his mom's basement!

Old 06-22-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
SuperSparkle928, it's clear that the idea that other people think that they should have some privacy in their own fenced back yard really hits you where you hurt. So, might you be one of those people who would be accused of stalking and harassment if this is indeed illegal? That would explain your persistent insistence that it's just FINE for a neighbor to film their neighbor's back yard and anyone who actually would like some privacy on their own property must be a child.

I'd say it's more than a little childish to think that you have every right to video someone else in their own private back yard just because you want to or for whatever reason might occur to you.
The cameras at most of the houses have a field-of-view of 120 degrees. I don't think I have ever even looked at any of the hard drive videos, as I couldn't care less what my neighbors do. Now if my houses get broken into, then the hard drives go to the local police department. I have way more interesting things to study (like complex image reconstruction in medical equipment, and ultra-high speed telecom), than to give a cr*p about what my neighbors do. They can go do whatever they want. I don't care.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,041,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Quote:"
1. Put up a bunch of fake cameras pointing at his property and your own yard too, so it doesn't look like you are just trying to get even."

Are we in fifth grade? Run and tell the teacher that someone is looking at you.
A fake camera is recognizable from 50 feet. Mine (for security purposes only) would take you many an hour and a ladder to find.

The average person cannot tell the difference between real and fake cameras......as long as there is doubt that's all you need. Please explain....how would putting up cameras that can't be seen irritate the neighbor......isn't that the point in THIS situation?

Quote:"2. Sails....if there is no HMO involved.....the uglier the better. While you're at it, attach a bunch of wind chimes to the poles.....that would drive me crazy".

As long as it doesn't violate any noise ordinances... I wouldn't care as my house is so sound-tight I would never hear them. And the other person can legally put up sails with swastikas on them... grow up.

Any home is sound-tight enough to block out the noise of wind chimes. Your home isn't THAT special. Maybe the neighbor enjoys spending quiet time in his back yard? Hmmm?

You would have big problems in this country if you put up flags with swasticas on them. Geeze, talk about being childish.
Quote:"
4. Put up a bunch of security lights....light up your yard like a used car lot.....in such a way that a lot of the light spills into your neighbor's yard."

In most communities, there are light-control laws, so that is not a good idea. How about I point a 20Mcp floodlight in your window, all night long? I have a bunch of the big GE 'Powerfloods', but I only use them at social events in the backyard, and am very careful about no (or little) light spill-over into my neighbor's yards.

Quote:"If your neighbor complains.....you can tell the authorities that once your neighbor put up his cameras.... you realized there must be danger lurking about....so you decided you better get some cameras too and light up your yard for your own safety"

I would say "go right ahead... put up all you want... I have nothing to hide".

Did I say to put up flood lights pointing into his windows? BTW....this thread isn't about YOU.

The only thing of value you have added to this thread is " Lombardy Poplars". The remaining suggestions are all ridiculous. But then again this is "Chronic (and useless) Disinformation.
I didn't add anything to this thread other than the wind chimes. Everything else I mentioned has already been suggested.....I merely said I liked those ideas.

"Someone" has a problem with reading comprehension. Guess they aren't as super and sparkly as they think they are. LOL

Oh.....BTW.....bragging is pretty childish.....just sayin.

Last edited by Annie53; 06-22-2012 at 01:23 PM..

Old 06-22-2012, 01:12 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
I would definitely contact authorities if you know for sure the neighbor is watching your back yard with his camera. There are stalking laws and this situation may fall into that category. After that I would not go to much expense to block the camera unless you want a nice canopy for your own comfort that covers your back yard during the hot summer days to block the sun which will in turn block what the camera can see as well.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
There are articles that suggest it might not be legal to use video surveillance of a fenced back yard.

USE OF SURVEILLANCE CAMERAS IN RESIDENTIAL AREAS

This article was written concerning the state of Connecticut. It says that surveillance of someone's front door is probably perfectly OK because it is in plain view. But the presence of a privacy fence suggests that the back yard is not in plain view and unauthorized surveillance may be in invasion of privacy.

I see no reason not to speak to the local police about this.
A key sentence in the document is "The one statute that may apply is CGS § 53a-189a. Under this law, a person is guilty of voyeurism when he or she, with malice, knowingly photographs, films, videotapes, or otherwise records the image of another person (1) without that person's knowledge and consent..."

That is the key word. With ill-intent, then there is a serious issue. We don't know the entire situation, so speculating is a waste of internet bandwidth. You are on recorded cameras all the time, without your knowledge, virtually everywhere. Geez, when I was in the states, my car (factory-installed) would record video all the time. (I could have said 'smile for the video camera', but it was purely for legal reasons in case of an accident).

The key word is 'malicious'. As I stated before, if you want me to put barn doors on the cameras, I have no issue. I just personally think it is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House