Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 03:31 PM

9 posts, read 30,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Pull the plug out of the wall or disconnect power and test continuity between wires/prongs and between wires/prongs and body of disposal. It sounds like the windings on the motor are shorted to ground.

Mine is hardwired, there is no plug to pull anywhere, can you expand upon what you mean with the type of wiring I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 03:33 PM

9 posts, read 30,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I actually removed one as a DIY project a year or two ago, with only a little bit of plumbing experience. For that matter, I had earlier gone at replacing the bathroom vanity with effectively zero plumbing experience unless you count changing a shower head. Much harder was changing the Moen cartridge on my shower faucet. That was a big ol pain even though in theory it is less tearing things apart.

We also lived for a couple years with a broken disposal in there before I did this, so that's an option.

Anyway, with just a little bit of reading up you should be able to swap a disposal for a new one, or swap the disposal for a plain drain, without wrecking everything. I suppose if you want to replace it with a new one though it would be good to rule out the whole thing being an electrical issue. That said, unless you've done something else recently to the house wiring around there, the wiring outside the disposal seems unlikely to be the culprit, which if that holds up would leave a problem inside the unit, which means replacing most likely.

How do you recommend me to rule out if it's an electrical issue? There is no plug, the wires are embedded into a metal box behind the disposer switch.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:02 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1234 View Post
How do you recommend me to rule out if it's an electrical issue? There is no plug, the wires are embedded into a metal box behind the disposer switch.
They also run into a junction box inside of the disposal under a metal panel.

I meant the type of wiring. A plug or hardwired. If hardwired like you say you'll need to cut power and disconnect wires inside of garbage disposal and use the wires inside of the disposal for your test (the one I referred to earlier).

Old 06-26-2012, 08:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1234 View Post
If you want to do that you'll have to do what BigJon describes. There should be a removable panel of some kind wherever the electrical wire goes into the disposal. Sounds like you know which breaker it's on, but you need a circuit tester anyway so be CAREFUL at that point and test to make sure it's off before removing the wires (obviously you'll have to take that cover off first).

If you're still feeling iffy about going to the electrical aisle in your hardware store or big blue/orange and picking out a basic tester that can test for a live circuit and for continuity, even perhaps getting someone at the store to help you pick out one if necessary (tell them what you need to do), and using that to test the wire, then you might not want to go forward on your own. Nothing wrong with that, not everyone is a DIY-er. I grew up watching my dad DIY stuff all around the house including plenty of electrical, so electrical has never scared me. Plumbing, now THAT scared me, but a couple of little projects and it doesn't feel quite so bad anymore. Haven't done any sweat plumbing though, that still scares me. But replacing the disposal if necessary doesn't require any sweat plumbing. Everything in that part of the drain just screws tight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House