Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:52 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times

Advertisements

I hired a company to paint my house & stain the deck. The house is almost finished and looks good but the deck is another story. They started the other day when it was 95 and the deck was in full sun and had been all day. The part they did looked terrible & was splotchy. I stopped them when I saw it and they want to finish it in the morning but I havent heard them say what they plan to do about the bad section .

I hate hiring people and then feeling like I need to research it to know how to tell them to fix something.
I have another project (french doors) that is also going very bad. A friend told me he had done them many times but he is in way over his head.

What would you do if a stain job came out bad...Sand, stain , second coat ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 04:11 AM

342 posts, read 1,554,428 times
I can understand getting someone to paint the house but you can't stain the deck yourself?

Old 06-24-2012, 07:00 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
There are so many things that can influence the results of a deck staining job-
Application technique
Prep (or lack there of)
The stain product itself

If the product that was used is a transparent stain you maybe able to "cover" the blotchyness with a stain that either semi-transparent, or one that is a high solids- non-transparent.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtownfunlover View Post
I can understand getting someone to paint the house but you can't stain the deck yourself?
...you have no idea of my circumstances...

Old 06-24-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Application technique
Prep (or lack there of)
The stain product itself

If the product that was used is a transparent stain you maybe able to "cover" the blotchyness with a stain that either semi-transparent, or one that is a high solids- non-transparent.
It was a semitransparent stain and they called this morning and said they discussed the problem with the stain company and were told to lightly sand a few of the darkest areas & do a second coat and that it would even it ???? Worried...

I think I should let them try to get it right and just not pay until it is right...

Old 06-24-2012, 11:53 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,579,467 times
I'd let them state that the job is finished and attempt collection of payment before mentioning it to them. Although I agree with your thinking they may have their own unique way of staining a deck. Give them the benefit of doubt.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I'd let them state that the job is finished and attempt collection of payment before mentioning it to them. Although I agree with your thinking they may have their own unique way of staining a deck. Give them the benefit of doubt.
They admit that staining in the sun when it was so hot caused the awful look we have..
There own unique way is called "inexperience".

But so far they are trying to get it corrected..

Old 06-24-2012, 02:58 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
...you have no idea of my circumstances...

I agree. Why do some people find it necessary to post insensitive, judgmental comments that dont address the question at hand in any way?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 AM

71 posts, read 132,482 times
I can only say sorry to hear your experience,and wish they can do it another time to make you satisfied.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:31 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Application technique
Prep (or lack there of)
The stain product itself

On top of these very poignant reminders, one would ask if you are trying to stain over a deck constructed of pressure treated lumber? Much of that stuff is crap to begin with, has a poor water/weatherproofing process applied, and then sits in the blazing sun year after year, virtually destroying the fibers in the wood--but not evenly. It is sort of like trying to make a dog look like a beauty queen.

If this is the case, you are going to have to sand the hell out of it before treating, or use some sort of opaque finish on it which will hide the blemishes. Neither is going to look great, but it might be okay. There is a reason why wood-alternative deck products have become the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House