Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 12:37 PM

582 posts, read 2,009,160 times

Advertisements

We just had a home inspection done on our home before we could sell it. The smoke detectors need to be replaced, although I'm sure that's not a big deal. However, I was wondering if anyone has ever changed out their own exhaust fan in a bathroom, a/c condenser breaker (it's the wrong amperage), or their attic stairs? I'm hoping the attic stairs can just have the hinges replaced to hold it tighter to the ceiling. However, if any of you have attempted these things please tell me if a mildly handy person can do it? I'm worried about getting someone in to do it all since it might cost a lot and we don't want to put too much more money into the house. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 02:32 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,841 times
The short answer is, "Yes a mildly handy person should be able to do these tasks".

Assuming you have battery operated smoke detectors rather a hard-wired system, this chore is likely just a matter of going to your ocal hardware store, purchasing enough detectors to meet your local fire code, and then screwing them to the ceiling in the appropriate locations. Be sure to install fresh, alkaline batteries in each detector.

The bathroom exhaust fan is also doable.

First thing to do is turn the fan on and then go to your power panel and start turning breakers off until the fan quits.

Now you can remove the decorative grill from your fan and measure the existing opening. With that information in hand, head to the hardware store and pick up a new fan that will fit the opening.

Making sure the power to the fan is still off, remove the screws holding the fan in the rough opening. Disconnect the wiring and the exhaust hose. Discard the old fan unit and reverse the above steps to install your new fume sucker.

A breaker on your main electrical panel isn't a big deal either.

First take a close look at your panel to determine what brand, (Federal Pioneer, Square D, etc), of breaker it uses. Now determine if your breaker is a single or double. The double, (220 volts), will be twice as wide as the singles on the panel. Once you know the brand, the size, and the required amperage rating, head out for the hardware store and purchase the replacement.

With your new breaker, head back to the panel. It's helpful to have a good flashlight and a helper to hold it. Turn off the main panel breaker. All the lights in your house should go off. Now remove the metal panel covering the breakers, find the breaker in question, and pop it out of the panel with a flat screw driver. Loosen the screws securing the wire(s). Now insert the wires into your new breaker and tighten the retaining screws, pop the breaker back in the panel, and reattach the cover. Turn the power back on and reset the clock on every electrical device in your house.

The attic stairs are a little tougher without having the benefit of seeing them. If it's just a case of screws being pulled from the wood, you can try using a larger screw, ( a 12 instead of a 10), or you could install bolts that go all the way through the support piece.

Good luck.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:05 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,201 times
sarasatin what's the reason for replacing your smoke detectors and attic stairs (are these the pull down kind?). i'm curious as to what the inspector said on these two items especially because i have them (oviously i have smoke detectors) in my house so i'm wondering if there's something i should do before putting the house on the market (if and when dh finds a job in NC).

Old 09-27-2007, 04:35 PM

The smoke detectors aren't working at all so we're replacing them. Our attic stairs need fixing because the door isn't flush with the ceiling. It's bent and there is air coming through.

I bought some stuff to fix things around the house, just not the attic stairs yet. I need to measure first.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:42 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
The short answer is, "Yes a mildly handy person should be able to do these tasks".

Assuming you have battery operated smoke detectors rather a hard-wired system, this chore is likely just a matter of going to your ocal hardware store, purchasing enough detectors to meet your local fire code, and then screwing them to the ceiling in the appropriate locations. Be sure to install fresh, alkaline batteries in each detector.

The bathroom exhaust fan is also doable.

First thing to do is turn the fan on and then go to your power panel and start turning breakers off until the fan quits.

Now you can remove the decorative grill from your fan and measure the existing opening. With that information in hand, head to the hardware store and pick up a new fan that will fit the opening.

Making sure the power to the fan is still off, remove the screws holding the fan in the rough opening. Disconnect the wiring and the exhaust hose. Discard the old fan unit and reverse the above steps to install your new fume sucker.

A breaker on your main electrical panel isn't a big deal either.

First take a close look at your panel to determine what brand, (Federal Pioneer, Square D, etc), of breaker it uses. Now determine if your breaker is a single or double. The double, (220 volts), will be twice as wide as the singles on the panel. Once you know the brand, the size, and the required amperage rating, head out for the hardware store and purchase the replacement.

With your new breaker, head back to the panel. It's helpful to have a good flashlight and a helper to hold it. Turn off the main panel breaker. All the lights in your house should go off. Now remove the metal panel covering the breakers, find the breaker in question, and pop it out of the panel with a flat screw driver. Loosen the screws securing the wire(s). Now insert the wires into your new breaker and tighten the retaining screws, pop the breaker back in the panel, and reattach the cover. Turn the power back on and reset the clock on every electrical device in your house.

The attic stairs are a little tougher without having the benefit of seeing them. If it's just a case of screws being pulled from the wood, you can try using a larger screw, ( a 12 instead of a 10), or you could install bolts that go all the way through the support piece.

Good luck.

I change out things all the time, its my job, as an electrician. But the bathroom light and fan should both be on the same breaker since only one wire was (should have been) used to power those two up. Depending on who wired the house or how old it is, lights should be on a 15amp breaker. If your fan and light both turn on at the same time, you will do fine with just keeping that lightswitch off, without having to shut down breakers.

As far as changing out breakers, remember that even though you might turn it (them) off, even if you shut down the 'main'...the buss will STILL BE ENERGIZED AND ONE SLIP OF THAT SCREWDRIVER CAN BE FATAL (or verrrrrry expensive)!!!

Old 09-28-2007, 07:32 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,005 times
The smoke detectors are easy even if they are the wired type as long as the problem is the detector itself and not the wiring.

The exhaust fan is also simple enough if you are comfortable with electrical wiring and are careful with turning off the breakers.

The circuit breaker for the A/C can be simple, but is extremely dangerous since the bus power cannot be disconnected unless there is an main breaker in a separate panel.

I would not try to repair the pull down stairs since they are sold as a unit replaceable item and are not easily replaced by one person. They can be temperamental when shimming into place and the springs can be very dangerous if you are not used to working with these units. I have seen a number of professional carpenters get injured installing pull stair units when they don't block them properly. The rebound can break bones rather easily.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:41 PM

Well, we're countering their request to change everything on the list anyway... so we're trying to get out of changing the attic stairs. However, they're in fine condition it's just that the wood door part is warped... so if we have to fix it we might try using a strong metal brace to pull it straight again and hold it that way.

The smoke detectors were easy, my husband did it last night. They weren't the hard-wired into the system kind so it was just mount and stick them up there.

The exhaust fan and breaker we will probably let a handyman/electrician handle since our circuit breaker was never marked for which circuit was which. Since we need to change out an intake grill near our HVAC system also and we don't feel like messing with it we're hiring someone to take care of all three at once.

Thanks for the tips!

Old 09-28-2007, 01:48 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraSatin View Post
The smoke detectors aren't working at all so we're replacing them. Our attic stairs need fixing because the door isn't flush with the ceiling. It's bent and there is air coming through.

I bought some stuff to fix things around the house, just not the attic stairs yet. I need to measure first.
mmmm.... wonder if i should have dh fix our attic stairs. they don't close properly, you have to "fit them" back in place. ah great another thing to add to the list. good luck with everything. keep us posted.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:21 PM

You can actually buy them at Lowe's for $80-200 depending on what kind you want. It's apparently a big pain in the you know what to do it yourself but if you have the money you can have them install it. It's not cheap to install them but if it's worth it to you then it is much less hassle.

Oh, and if you're planning on selling them I would suggest fixing them so it isn't picked up on an inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House