Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 12:23 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times

Advertisements

Has anyone painted laminate countertops? Mine are a gross yellow. Being we don't plan on staying in this house forever & the size/area, etc. doesn't warrant granite or other expensive countertops I'm thinking of either painting or replacing the laminate sheeting on the current tops. Any ideas? Experiences? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 06:06 AM

781 posts, read 3,815,705 times
I saw this on a home show.......the took a thin piece of stainless steel and covered the laminate. It looked soooo cool and apparently it is not that expensive because it was on one of those redo for less shows.

I have also heard of a liquid stainless steel that you can paint it right on the countertop.

Good luck.....I will check back and see what everyone suggests. One thing I would not do.....we have dark, coffee colored stone counters....don't go dark!!! It is so hard to keep clean and shiny. You would think it would hide most spots but it just looks dull if you don't keep it ultra clean!!!

Old 09-28-2007, 06:26 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
When I lived in Ca the apartments we lived in had resurfaced countertops. They had a company come in and use this High powered really smelly paint laquer thing on them. Kinda like the stuff you use to redo bathtubs. They look nice when done but......they stain really easy. Say you set your coffee cup down and it leaves a ring the ring is there forever. Same with say setting a bread bag on the counter wet, the print from the bread bag transfers to the paint. Bleaching it won't get it off and may discolor the paint. Be careful what you use.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:27 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Most paint options are not very good. They either stain easy, peel easy, chip or scratch. Formica countertop are pretty inexpensive if you have to do something to spruce things up and cant afford the top quality options. Relaminating yourself is doable if you are handy with a router and sander and are patient enough to handle contact cement with care.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:01 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
As if yellow formica isn't bad enough, now you want to put some paint on top? It would probably look worse than the yellow after a short while, and you'd still need to do something else eventually anyway.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:13 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Most paint options are not very good. They either stain easy, peel easy, chip or scratch. Formica countertop are pretty inexpensive if you have to do something to spruce things up and cant afford the top quality options. Relaminating yourself is doable if you are handy with a router and sander and are patient enough to handle contact cement with care.
I agree with this or get a contractor to do it. Painting is not a good option and would look terrible after time.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:18 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that painting might be difficult, not look as good, and not last as long. Sounds like getting new laminate tops would be best. Thanks again!

Old 09-29-2007, 07:44 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
I would highly recommend against painted countertops for several reasons. First, if you use a water based paint, of course, it will come off every time someone cleans it, and leave the residue for food and towels to absorb. An oil based paint again, if someone uses a chemical cleaner that contains ammonia, bleach or disinfectant, can possible become a problem for those who set food on counters. The counter-reaction of the two chemicals...
Its not that expensive to simply get some cheap butcher block from Lowes or Home Depot, cut it yourself (if you have a skilsaw) and install it.
Just my 2c worth though.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:08 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
Yes, paint isn't very durable at all. But ceramic tile is very affordable if you do it yourself, and you can get a custom stone or granite look.

It really isn't that hard, once you catch on. Use the large tiles, grid it out on graph paper, then have a home improvement store like Home Depot cut the tiles, if you don't want to. Cutting is the hardest part. Laying and grouting is a bit tedious, but not difficult. Get someone to help, and you can have beautiful, custom countertops in just a weekend or two!

Old 09-29-2007, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 32,530 times
I work for a Benjamin Moore dealer. We make a product called Fresh Start which will bond to Formica. Then you can top coat with anything pretty much. I have faux finished some to look like granite. Cheap fix for an ugly problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House