Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 03:41 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times

Advertisements

I enjoy looking at your pictures. Please don't let all of the negative comments get you down. It looks like your house is coming along nicely, and it looks bigger and bigger each week. Can't wait to see what the inside is going to look like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 10:20 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What I "don't know for sure" is this-
Either your builder over simplifies explanations or, is a Helluva good "salesman" (I'll use the term loosely).
Anytime you're building a house that has I-joists, long open spans, and load differentials, it requires an engineer to design the floor system. He not only designs it to meet today's code requirements, but he also has to design it in an affordable manner. That's something "a builder" has no choice on.
How do you know it's not engineered? And why would you be condescending about this homebuyer not knowing what a glulam beam is? That's why he's hired someone to build his home. I would expect a builder or other professional to simplify explanations. Engineers don't know everything and many floor systems are not engineered outside of the lumber suppliers, so yes there are choices on beams used. Glulams, lvl's, steel, built up 2x's w/ flitch plates etc.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:40 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
And why would you be condescending about this homebuyer not knowing what a glulam beam is?
No condescension at all. The OP couldn't remember the "name/technique", so I stated what they are called.
As to your question "how do you know it's not engineered?"- Really?

Old 09-02-2012, 08:17 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
No condescension at all. The OP couldn't remember the "name/technique", so I stated what they are called.
As to your question "how do you know it's not engineered?"- Really?

I dont know why that would be a big deal, I wouldnt expect a lay person to necessarily remember that.
Yes, what exactly do you see that makes you sure its not engineered. Load calcs done on beams, placement, truss size? There are regional code differences on sheer walls, corner bracing, tie downs. If you are not in a seismic or high wind area its a different world....

Old 09-02-2012, 03:12 PM

466 posts, read 700,289 times
Just stumbled onto this thread and your situation sounds very similar to mine. My wife and I have been renters to date for multiple reasons, but have just signed a contract to build a custom home as our first. We are currently renting in the neighborhood where the house will be built, so I was going to go by and take frequent pictures as well of the build.

We still are waiting for the plans to be finalized and to discuss upgrades, colors, etc, so construction itself probably won't start for awhile.

Looking forward to the next update!

Old 09-02-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
...what exactly do you see that makes you sure its not engineered.
I never said it wasn't.
I merely suggested that there are different ways to engineer the floor system; some are economically engineered while others can bite a big-ass chunk outta the wallet.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
Just stumbled onto this thread and your situation sounds very similar to mine. My wife and I have been renters to date for multiple reasons, but have just signed a contract to build a custom home as our first. We are currently renting in the neighborhood where the house will be built, so I was going to go by and take frequent pictures as well of the build.

We still are waiting for the plans to be finalized and to discuss upgrades, colors, etc, so construction itself probably won't start for awhile.

Looking forward to the next update!
Is this in FL?
I'd be curious to know how you came about going this route, finding lot/land, builder, etc.; especially in FL. The housing impact for the state was mind-boggling to say the least.

I would think that there would still be an abundance of chooses just waiting for a buyer like you.

Read us all in- (but start a new thread)

Old 09-02-2012, 07:50 PM

466 posts, read 700,289 times
Sure will send you a PM.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 PM

70 posts, read 252,052 times
JMMH, when you get started, post pics. I'd love to see how other houses are built. That's one of the main reasons that I wanted to do this. I did (an do ) not understand the entire process.

Spazkat, the comments aren't negative to me. Everybody on CD is an expert and sometimes they are, so I appreciate all comments and thoughts.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:56 PM

70 posts, read 252,052 times
End of Week 9.

They started on the roof! I was told they will be done in 1.5-2 weeks (I assume this excludes shingles, but I'll ask).

We hitched up our ladder and walked on the 2nd floor, which was pretty cool. The pics you see below are mostly shot from there. So far, the only change we have is to an interior wall in the master. I think that's helpful.

We picked out our bathroom fixtures (faucets, toilets, sinks, tubs) which were the first interior ones. You will see them soon. Well, as always, I appreciate any comment.

Front of the house

Breakfast bumpout from 2nd. floor (master sitting room)

Front door (& window above)

View of family room wall

View of back of the house

2 months in, 4 (in an ideal world to go)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House