Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 02:49 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times

Advertisements

Easy story....
You know the story about one solo stick is stronger or that bundle of stick is stronger theory???

Yah... I have tons of big ancient beautiful trees too...
But, to me they are God's gift.
Sure during that wind storm there are tons of down branches... but sticks that stick & bunch together, they are really really much stronger IMHO.
Yes, there are solo trees that went unto many roofs, I have driven by & seen it all... but like OP stated... they are either on the edge of the dense forest or just that solo tree in a wide open field.

No sweat... that is what home insurances are for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 02:25 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Trees on the edges of roads tend to be tall and skinny. Why? Because they were in the shaded part of the woods prior to the road being cut through. When they are in the center of the woods with plenty of neighbors as windbreaks they tend to be fine. But once they are exposed their weak structures are no longer protected and they are more easily blown over or broken. So, if your trees are strong in the trunk and not bizarely top heavy they should fair well in most windy situations.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:53 AM

445 posts, read 1,605,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
No sweat... that is what home insurances are for.
I know there have been comments and questions about insurance in other threads - but does your insurance cover dead trees or ones that should have been taken out by a "reasonable person" My insurance will cover the damages to my house when this tree falls but I am trying to be "Proactive" and mitigate the potential for loss... If the tree falls, takes out the power line and my breaker panel on the outside wall - shorting out the wires and causes a fire that fills the house with smoke that kills my dog - I hope this guy has a vacation house on another planet....

Old 07-15-2012, 10:50 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
I realize the thread is getting old, but a few comments:

In Florida (hurricanes), I didn't allow any large trees within striking distance of the house. That paid off when Hurricanes Andrew and Wilma went through. There are tornadoes up here, but the chance of a direct strike are pretty slim. I allow ONE healthy Hickory to shade the place, only because we are below height of land and there is surrounding forest on the three windward sides.

What I find interesting is listening to the forest. After the trees start getting a leaf load in the spring, I will sometimes hear a crash as a weak limb falls. After a heavy rain and the ground is soggy, I sometimes hear a tree fall in the woods. (Yes, they still make a sound even if I'm not listening... ) Even in Florida, some of our trees would drop branches. Trees are not safe. Although I like to walk in the woods, there are times I won't even go near.

I can't think of living comfortably with a sword above my head waiting to fall. During a windstorm last year, there was an incident that had people scratching their heads. A man who lived in a trailer had a tree fall on the trailer and kill and crush him, then ANOTHER tree fall from a different direction and crush him further. Everyone was wondering what he had done to p... God off.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Also...see if your town has a "policy" as to how many feet from the road a tree has to be before it is their responsibility to trim or take it down. We have a huge Oak now on the corner of our property that needs to be topped or come down and I am sure it is on Town Property..just gotta get them to move on it. Good Luck!!
We have a DEAD pine tree on another street nearby... The State says they do not have responsiblity on that part of that street's right of way - but they recently paved the whole street.. The city told the homeowners that they had to have it taken down... BUT it is almost impossible that the tree is on that person's property... So it stands - well for how long is unsure - but a pine tree that has turned completely brown and has lost 30% of its bark all the way to the top - ??? I guess this is how the lawyers stay in business

Old 07-16-2012, 08:52 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Different tree species have different tolerances for high wind. A properly trimmed live oak will hold up well in hurricane force winds, though it will drop a few branches. Most palm trees are very wind-tolerant, as are some species of longleaf pines. The problem where I live are the shortleaf pines left over turpentine plantation days- they tend to go down in light tropical storm force winds. (We had one go down and land on our roof during Ivan, and had another ten shortleaf pines removed after that because they were all leaning precariously.)

We've still got a bunch of live oaks and longleaf pines pretty close to the house because we know they're lower risk for problems, and they provide very nice shade as well as being decorative and screening out home from the road. Anything that isn't wind tolerant has either been removed or limited to the perimeter of the lot.

So talk to a real arborist (not just a cutter) about which tree species are best close to a home for your region, and try to keep the 'good species' because if you later regret removing one of them, it's a 20+ year situation to regrow something similar into that space.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:58 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Different tree species have different tolerances for high wind. A properly trimmed live oak will hold up well in hurricane force winds, though it will drop a few branches. Most palm trees are very wind-tolerant, as are some species of longleaf pines. The problem where I live are the shortleaf pines left over turpentine plantation days- they tend to go down in light tropical storm force winds. (We had one go down and land on our roof during Ivan, and had another ten shortleaf pines removed after that because they were all leaning precariously.)

We've still got a bunch of live oaks and longleaf pines pretty close to the house because we know they're lower risk for problems, and they provide very nice shade as well as being decorative and screening out home from the road. Anything that isn't wind tolerant has either been removed or limited to the perimeter of the lot.

So talk to a real arborist (not just a cutter) about which tree species are best close to a home for your region, and try to keep the 'good species' because if you later regret removing one of them, it's a 20+ year situation to regrow something similar into that space.
Great comment.

I live mostly among the ancient great oaks.... & no pine among my trees.
Have a great policy... and also a very solid bomb shelter-like basement when there is any "ifs" & plus armed with God's blessings... plus a great plan "B" when that "if" happens... doomsday scenario all thought out.

No sweat indeed.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Because so many people in my area thought they were an arborist or just didn't like trees and were amateurs with a chain saw, the County passed a 'tree' ordinance. We now have a list of trees of what is called 'legacy' trees. Trees that are protected from removal. To remove, a permit and inspection is required. If the tree is a 'live oak' you might not get a permit. Also any new home built must have four trees per residential lot. If there are not four, trees must be planted before a C.O. will be issued. One town in the county expanded the ordinance to include a certain amount of bushes.
Out of curiosity - would your local jurisdiction issue a C.O. with "DEAD" trees standing on the property ??? Forest Acres did and the guy that made that decision is a certified arborist Then take into account that it is not the responsibility of a real estate agent to look at the trees, loan officers or inspectors to inspect trees - you might want to pay partictular attention - even hire an arborist - BEFORE you buy a house

Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 AM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
A lot of problems with trees, and all other plants for that matter, is using non-natives. In my area poplars are the offenders, people put them in because they are fast growers. They also come down in tropical storms, usually like dominoes. White pines are another, although not as bad ( I have a white pine, 40 ft. in my front yard. I didn't plant it, the original owners did.) where loblolly pines would be a better choice.

A native tree here is sweet gum, but my God they make a mess and older ones drop limbs.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 AM

364 posts, read 826,492 times
To the OP.
If you don't mind trees, don't cut them. Having more trees one surrounded by others will save them from storm. They form a tree barrier that saves them together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House