Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:14 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times

Advertisements

Where I live in Southern New Jersey, there was a unusual wind storm that knocked down a lot of trees. Fortunately where I live, none of the 100 to 150 trees on my property were damaged. Most trees damaged tended to be on the edges of roads, fields, and areas with few trees where the wind could really pick up speed. I guess there's strength in numbers. Anyway, I have a dozen trees, that if they fell into the house they would cause extensive damage. I even have two monster Pine trees that must be at least 80 feet high and could turn my 3 story house into a 1 story without difficultly. The question is should I be proactive and remove any tree that is within striking distance of the house, or do I just have them inspected every few years and only remove those that are unhealthily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 05:19 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
I would have them inspected now and take whatever action the tree expert suggests.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I would have them inspected now and take whatever action the tree expert suggests.
Now huh. Well that's about the Worse advise I've ever heard. Why? Everyone in the area is looking to have trees removed from there property and there is a LOT of price gouging going on right now.

Case in point:
I had some tree work done about 3 years ago. I had one monster tree removed that was 2 feet front my garage, and another two trees removed from the driveway, removed and stump grinded. I also had some limps removed from a tree that over hung the house, a small tree removed and a 30x30 foot section of brush removed from the front of the property, total cost, $2,500.

Someone I know house go hit by two trees, cost to remove? $12,000, and they wanted the cash right then, they were not willing to wait for the insurance company to pay them later. This boys and girls is what you call PRICE GOUGING.

Nah, I'll wait 6 months, when the tree company's are slow and are looking for work. Competition equals lower prices. When everyone is looking for a tree removal company and begging for them to come out and removed trees, that when prices really spike.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:13 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
I'm sitting on property similar to yours surrounded with 10 acres of primarily oaks. Even with the high wind storms over the past two weeks, I've only lost limbs and no trees. In the past twenty years I've also had two trees come down related to storms and they were near open areas. The only trees I've cut down were either dead (no leaves at top), or close enough to possibly cause damage to my foundation. Past that I leave them alone. So yes there's strength in numbers as the cut down down wind speed. Look at it this way: A circle is 360 degrees, your house is 5 degrees of it so your chance of it heading in your direction is 1:72 (w/o going into probabilites and calculating for the amount of trees the spread would be even higher). So from my experience the answer is "no" on cutting them down and do your own walking of your property looking at each base for decay/splitting. Just leave the trees alone and any smaller trees around them. Also don't disturb the ground around them. That being said, if those pines are really bothering you and have about a grand burning a hole in your pocket than cut them down.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Someone I know house go hit by two trees, cost to remove? $12,000, and they wanted the cash right then, they were not willing to wait for the insurance company to pay them later.
This is why you let the insurance company supply the contractors. Most people that I've known to fall in this situation are those who try to pocket the difference between the check the ins. co. cut and the contractor they hired on their own.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
A circle is 360 degrees, your house is 5 degrees of it so your chance of it heading in your direction is 1:72
Actually the odds some what higher than that. The really big trees I'm concerned with have a good 60 feet of house they could strike. I'd say the odds are more like 1 in 8, 1 in 10 at the very best. I do have some trees within 10 feet of the house, but not quite as massive, I put them as 1 in 6. You can usually look at a tree and get a sense of how it's leaning, but I guess if it goes, the wind would play a big factor in where it falls. I really don't think pines add much to the property, not much shade, Oaks at least offer a good about of shade. The trees are probably older than the house (the house is 21 years old), be a sin to cut some of them down when they don't need to be, but I just see how BIG they are and get a little concerned.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:37 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Can your insurance company guide you? Alternatively can you get a new homeowners quote from a company that will physically view your property?

Old 07-09-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Actually the odds some what higher than that..... I'd say the odds are more like 1 in 8, 1 in 10 at the very best.
Walk your entire property and count the amount of fallen trees that are decaying. You won't find many. My trees are 80-100 old per county records of land use. If in your mind the odds are that close and it bothers you, then cut them down. There are numerous variable to consider. If in doubt call a arborist. But if you google your question, the closest chance is about 2%.

Quote:
Can your insurance company guide you? Alternatively can you get a new homeowners quote from a company that will physically view your property?
Don't. All that adds something to your records and can increase your ins. rates.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:34 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
I like trees. I have, well, really only one now that would be in position to damage the house. The other one had to come down last year. But it was only because it had to, was already half dry and rest was dying. I wouldn't take out any trees I didn't have to, within striking distance of house or not. Have someone check them out and make recommendations. Maybe get a couple of those. Make sure it's not from someone who deals almost entirely in removing trees, because hey, they'll probably want to remove them.

My dad has lived on a wooded lot for over 20 years, plenty of trees within reach. He keeps an eye on them himself and has had a few removed here and there. Nothing has ever fallen on the house. So it's certainly not a given that you need to clear the house area. Some people like that appearance but I'd prefer to have more trees not a clearing.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:15 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Tech... Because YOU said, "or do I just have them inspected every few years and only remove those that are unhealthily?" I thought you might want to take the advice of an expert that can ACTUALLY SEE YOUR TREES instead of taking the advice of people that may or may not know anything about trees.

Why not just cut them all down so you never have to worry about one falling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House