Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:40 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Real good guys.
Here you're calling a guys work shoddy and you haven't even seen pics or seen the job.
Fair point, but the assumption is that there are legitimate shortcomings.
The nature or degree of them may be arguable but if they do in fact exist
(and even if they're only minor or petty) what rights does the homeowner have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 04:01 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
and if in the course of doing that first hole your work was shown to be shoddy, or maybe
your people damaged something else, or whatever?

Many would rightfully tell you to pack up your gear and get off their land...
and then maybe make you wait to get paid for the ($16/foot hole) job that was done.

FYI....I do not do shoddy work.

You can "what if" this to death.

Contractor's liens work very well.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:55 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
FYI....I do not do shoddy work.
Good for you... but that isn't the question

Quote:
You can "what if" this to death.
Contractor's liens work very well.
So do Courts and Judges.
--

Back in the real world...
do you want to stick around to do the other 3 holes for someone who wants you off their land?
Don't forget that you haven't been paid for them yet... and probably not even all of the first hole.

Which fight do you want to have? And which will you walk away from?

Old 07-14-2012, 07:25 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Good for you... but that isn't the question

So do Courts and Judges.
--

Back in the real world...
do you want to stick around to do the other 3 holes for someone who wants you off their land?
Don't forget that you haven't been paid for them yet... and probably not even all of the first hole.

Which fight do you want to have? And which will you walk away from?
That is not a question I can not answer.

It has never happened and I can not imagine it happening.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:08 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Easy to say whatever but one of the OP's complaints was cabinet crown moulding with gaps and not aligned. Crown moulding is not rocket science to do properly and/or see if not done properly. This could well be the tip of an iceberg.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:56 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
There are standards for just about every imaginable job from Installing molding to finishing granite. They site things such as gaps, fit, finish, etc. Find out what they are for the work which you had performed and expect at a minimum that the work should meet these standards.

I had a granite job done a year ago. The workmanship was poor...chipped edges, uneven lines, open gaps, wobbly edges, inconsistent edging, and overall poor thought about where seams were placed and openinings were cut for sinks, outlets, and stove top. I asked the installer politely to redo the work, which with granite is VERY difficult. Once it is cut, it is CUT. I settled with them very fairly...paid for what i kept, and told them they could have the stuff i tore out and had replaced. Yes, it cost me money, but what are you going to do, battle forever over a thousand dollars? Life is too short.

In your case i would have the contracotor finish their work, pay them for what you contracted unless it is really shoddy...your description sounds like it is pretty poor work and less than borderline in terms of acceptable. Tell them you are not happy and it is best to leave things off right here, and find another outfit to do the bath. Really, it is not rocket science. Just be honest and move along.

There are plenty of good contractors out there. You can tell right away by the quality of their proposal. If it covers ALL of the details it is likely that the guy knows what he is doing. ALL means a broad understanding of the job, and then the details right down to the materials from fixtures to fasteners. Insurance, waste removal, timing, and contingencies should all be addressed....among a host of other things.

Cut your losees. Understand that you are going to lose money. Move on...and if you have the bath done by a new outfit and are happy, mention that you have a couple of things in the kitchen that maybe they could look at.....get them fixed/finished and relax. We all get taken from time to time. It's called life. Swallow your pride, get the repairs completed, and enjoy your renovations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House