U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 AM

648 posts, read 1,664,391 times

Advertisements

My neighbor is semi retired and no longer licensed as a contractor.

He will paint and or reshingle my house but he doesn't want to get re-licenced for this one job. I really trust him above other people I've talked to. he will let me work with him and I will learn so much. I really want him to do the job--although I do have esitimates from other licenced contractors, so I don't HAVE to have him help me.

My home insurance agent says he will not be covered for injuries under my home policy because he is really a contractor just working without insurance. (A part time employee, like baby sitter or a lawn mower would be covered.)

I live in NJ.

Is there any way I can have my neighbor help me??? I was really looking forward to working with him. He has helped me often in my home and is incredibly knowledgeable and also a friend.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 AM

38,399 posts, read 49,977,727 times
Just general reply so please take it as that.

Many building codes allow a homeowner to pull permits for self-repair on the projects like roofing you mentioned (not usually for plumbing and electric, though), you're then the "contractor". You'll still have to have any necessary inspections done. That might be the way to get around it, he's "helping" you do the work. You shouldn't have to pull permits for painting your house, although you may have to have a Zoning review for color approval, it would depend on your town.

Your insurance agent is correct as to any liability.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:51 AM

5,698 posts, read 17,933,123 times
Years ago before people got sue happy, my Dad built an addition onto our home. It was him and 5 of the neighbor guys. They were all tradesman and each brought their skills to the job. Payment was beer and the promise to return the favor at some point in the future.

You can have your neighbor do whatever you want. If your neighbors falls of the roof just know you will be liable.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 AM

2,896 posts, read 5,207,882 times
Can the neighbor sign anything saying that he is halping at his own risk and will not sue?

Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 AM

917 posts, read 3,192,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Years ago before people got sue happy, my Dad built an addition onto our home. It was him and 5 of the neighbor guys. They were all tradesman and each brought their skills to the job. Payment was beer and the promise to return the favor at some point in the future.

You can have your neighbor do whatever you want. If your neighbors falls of the roof just know you will be liable.
Haha! I hope your dad paid them AFTER the work was finished for the day.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:06 PM

31,925 posts, read 73,456,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post

My neighbor... but he doesn't want to get re-licenced for this one job...
My home insurance agent says...
and you shouldn't date your neighbors either

Old 07-17-2012, 10:16 PM

5,698 posts, read 17,933,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
Haha! I hope your dad paid them AFTER the work was finished for the day.
Nope, he returned the favor by doing whatever they needed help with. He was a welder so he shared his skills in that area. All for payment of beer. Ahh...the good ole days. lol.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:25 AM

31,925 posts, read 73,456,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
Is there any way I can have my neighbor help me??? I was really looking forward to working with him.
He has helped me often in my home and is incredibly knowledgeable and also a friend.
I thought about this some more: Hire him as your construction manager.
Someone to design the specs and take bids and negotiate with the contractors
and when the time comes... to supervise the work being done by the licensed and insured.

A fixed percentage of the job is reasonable.
If you really trust him and he has all his experience then the net to you
should be the same as doing it on your own (maybe even less).

Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 AM

15,496 posts, read 57,932,217 times
If you had asked your neighbor about the details (requirements) for him, he should have been able to tell you what would be required- or not.
Anyway, this is taken straight from NJ's state website:
"A home repair contractor who deals strictly in cash installment payments over a period of 90 days or less or accepts credit card payments does not need to obtain this license."

Old 07-18-2012, 06:51 AM

29,592 posts, read 71,626,462 times
LIcenseure is not really the issue. You can hire licensed or unlicensed people. You may have to pull the permit yourself though. The issue is liability. What if he gts hurt or killed while working on your house? ALso if he hires anyone to help him, you get another layer of potential liability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House