Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:40 AM

17,419 posts, read 65,593,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You aren't describing a "problem"... you're describing your annoyance.
This first draw delay in getting hot water is a compromise design of the system.
How do you come up with that?
We don't know the fuel type of the w/h; it's location- in reference to point of use, nor do we know it's physical location (conditioned or unconditioned space), or t/stat setting. All of these things can be circumstantial to the performance of the unit/system. System being the actual supply lines; unit being the w/h itself.

Here's some info that might help explain in somewhat layman's terms-
http://www.waptac.org/data/files/tec...o_tool_kit.doc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,594,489 times
Here's their website

http://www.statewaterheaters.com/

Get your model number and see what the manuals say online.

This is similiar to what I use, and my shower is 60 ft away.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_345709-135-ES50R123-45D_4294859091__?productId=3445490&Ns=p_product_pr ice|0

Old 07-23-2012, 09:13 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,508,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
How do you come up with that?
a common sense expectation that the thermostat setting is as low as possible...
and a common sense expectation that the bath and kitchen and laundry will be close by.

If the design uses other than such common sense approaches...
the design will be expected to account for such.

Over-sizing the WH is the first clue that common sense isn't in play.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:58 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,622,219 times
We have a large home with the W/H far from the shower. I installed a water recirculater. I now have instant hot water all the time, if I want it. I usually only turn the pump on when getting ready to take a shower. Flip the switch and by the time your ready to hop in, the hot water is at the shower. I installed it because I hated to dump expensive water down the drain for five minutes, waiting for hot water.
There are several brands, so available at HD or Costco. I purchased a RedyTemp. It cost a couple hundred, but makes live much more fun. It installs under the sink furthest from the H/W heater. If you have no skills at all, you can install it in 2 minutes. The only tough part is, you need an outlet under the sink. I installed a new outlet under the sink and ran wire three fet down from the above sink outlet. If you can't do that, get a friend or an electrician. It's very simple if you know how.
Google RedyTemp water recirculator.. I couldn't live without mine..

Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 AM

5,640 posts, read 24,863,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongasabear View Post
We suspect part of the problem to be the location of the tank vs. where it has to travel before coming out of the faucet. The tank is in the attic and has to go down 3 levels to the crawl before coming back up to the faucets.
Exactly, it is not the heater it is the plumbing. Without a circulating system or proximity to the heater this happens to a certain extent in most large houses.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
The tank is in the attic and has to go down 3 levels to the crawl before coming back up to the faucets.
What this describes... is a bizarre set up.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,602,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Over-sizing the WH is the first clue that common sense isn't in play.
A 50 gallon water heater doesn't seem "oversized" for a home with a kitchen and at least two bathrooms.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:38 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,491,541 times
Quote:
We suspect part of the problem to be the location of the tank vs. where it has to travel before coming out of the faucet. The tank is in the attic and has to go down 3 levels to the crawl before coming back up to the faucets.
I would suggest looking into a point of use water heater for your bathroom area. That's an unnecessarily long length for hot water to travel. Not only does the hot water travel a great length, it also initially loses heat, heating up the pipes.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:40 AM

835 posts, read 2,870,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
A 50 gallon water heater doesn't seem "oversized" for a home with a kitchen and at least two bathrooms.
Def not oversized. We have a 3600 sq ft home with 5 people living in it. And for the record MrRational, that is not bragging, nor was I bragging about the cost of our home...just my attempt to validate our frustration over the "problem."

Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Come on... what home doesn't have a kitchen and two baths?
It's the number of people that are the variable (showering and to some extent laundry).

Absent a large number of people 40gal is more than plenty; even 30 can be enough.
In this case... the bizarre piping & overall distance is the problem.
---

ETA: The OP reports 5 people...
He could still reduce the main WH and be fine...
if he'll also add the second 20 gal for the showers he'll be in high clover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House