Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:50 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,138 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question;

I own a rental and I need some repairs done. In the past I have hired a handyman that worked pretty well.

The way we conducted our business was I verbally agreed to the job and he purchased the materials and did the work. AFter the work was completed, I received the receipts for material and I paid him the amount in cash.

For the last 2 years this has worked. Now, my handyman is too busy and not interested in working on my little jobs.

So I need a new handyman. I found one; phone number posted at local hardware store. He gave estimate for the job which was much higher than I wanted to. But I need this work done now.

The problem is this handyman wants a down payment for the job in advance.

I am not sure this is the norm.

I am inclined to go to hardware store with this guy and purchase the materials he needs and then deduct that amount off of the total amount we have agreed to for labor and materials.

It doesn't seem right to pay for labor in advance.

I worry that I give this guy 1/3 of money up front and he is gone... doesn't buy or do anything.

need advice.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Can you get references?
I have often gone to big box stores and bought the supplies with the handyman and just paid labor. A couple of times the contractor has found this unacceptable and I have either agreed to just advance $100 or I have not gone thru with the deal. Ask for an estimate with labor only and see if he'll let you buy materials ahead or with him and pay for the work at project end.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Find another handyman. This guy probably does crappy work and knows it.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 AM

yeah, that is a good idea. I think I would just like to buy the materials and deduct that amount from the total job and pay him the remainder.

At this point I am not debating the cost... I am just protecting myself from just handing $100 to a stranger for absolutely nothing.

He may not like my plans... in that case I will have to find someone else.

Do they have phone numbers listed in home depot as well? I found these numbers from Ace hardware.

I think I need to find a back up in case this guy doesn't want to do business the way I intend.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 AM

okay

I am thinking I should just go with a company. The amount of money I am paying... I think I am not getting a break going with an independent contractor.

Craigslist for a handyman/construction company?? The yellow pages just isn't what it used to be. Nervous about Craigslist since predators use it to solicit new victims.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:47 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
About 8 years ago I needed to have a quick handyman job done, so I called Mr. Handyman. They came out and did an excellent job for a very reasonable, at least to me, price. When I decided to renovate my powder room, I got several estimates but again called Mr. Handyman and had an excellent job done for half the price. Same thing for my guest bathroom.

One of the nice things about a franchise like this is that many of the contractors have their own business. If you like their work and can find out the name of their individual company (they usually will not give you that info because of their affiliation with the franchise) then you can hire them directly.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:38 AM

^^Thanks a bunch!! Mr. Handyman. :-)

Old 07-25-2012, 10:07 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times
In Calif, it's illegal for a contractor to take more than 10% down on a job, and you pay a % at every phase, i.e., 10 % down, 25% when the job is 25% done, etc.
Don't pay for a completed job until it is completed and you're happy with the results, so you have some leverage over him. If the job sucks, don't pay for it.
It is also illegal for an unlicensed contractor to charge for work, so if you don't like the job and don't pay him, he can't sue you because he preformed an illegal service.
There are lots of bad guys out there, especially in theses difficult economic times. Be fair, but be careful.
I don't like the sound of the guy you mentioned.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:11 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
I own a rental and I need some repairs done.
In the past I have hired a handyman that worked pretty well.

Now, my handyman is too busy and not interested in working on my little jobs.
So I need a new handyman.

I found one. The problem is this handyman wants a down payment for the job in advance.
I am not sure this is the norm.
The guy who financed his own jobs and charged a fixed price is a contractor.
A landlord should have his rolodex full of these names & numbers.

The guy who works WITH someone who can do the work themselves is a helper.
Helpers get paid by the hour or day for their time. Some might do this with you for years,
They're also good for basic maintenance tasks like lawn mowing and window washing.

In between these is the handyman who works on small jobs here and there...
but often can't finance his own lunch. You take 'em as you fin 'em.

Far more important is that he shows up when promised and fixes more than he breaks.
Set up an account at the hardware store.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I called Mr. Handyman. I think I will go with them since they are a reputable company and it is a COMPANY.

I think $300 for weatherizing and repainting a shed is a bit much. A few boards are weather-worn and they need to be replaced and a touch up paint job of the boards that needed to be replaced.

Easily a one day job since there are probably 3 - 4 boards that need to be replaced and the entire length of the board does not have to be replaced... just the bottom half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House