Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 03:23 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,141 times

Advertisements

Can the particle filter rate (higher as in a more efficient filter) reduce the amount of air flow? Could well be coincidental (and I am hoping so) and I do not think it is an issue, but my AC seems less efficient since I installed a 3M 1900 Maximum Allergen filter versus lower rated filters. It is installed in the proper direction.

Of course it has benn over 100* per day here..........LOL

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 03:48 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
If the increase in energy usage is any indicator- then yes, they do effect the flow-rate.

http://www.ce.utexas.edu/prof/siegel...ter_HB_474.pdf

Old 07-27-2012, 04:48 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Can the particle filter rate (higher as in a more efficient filter) reduce the amount of air flow? Could well be coincidental (and I am hoping so) and I do not think it is an issue, but my AC seems less efficient since I installed a 3M 1900 Maximum Allergen filter versus lower rated filters. It is installed in the proper direction.

Of course it has benn over 100* per day here..........LOL

Thanks
The 1 inch pleated filters are known for obstructing airflow. If you need better filtration, you'll want a 4-6" thick filter. Honeywell makes one that fits in standard 1" filter-grille housings with a merv 10 rating. If your current filter is actually mounted at the air-handler, they have oversized housings available that can accommodate bigger filters. If you want more effective filtering, you need a thicker filter, or you will lose efficiency & airflow.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If the increase in energy usage is any indicator- then yes, they do effect the flow-rate.

http://www.ce.utexas.edu/prof/siegel...ter_HB_474.pdf

Their conclusion was:

The goal of this research was to explore the energy consequences associated with higher efficiency filtration in residences. The results herein suggest that the energy consequences of higher-efficiency filters in residential air-conditioning systems are likely small and that other factors should govern filter selection.

While I still am not sure, thanks for the information. It helps.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The 1 inch pleated filters are known for obstructing airflow. If you need better filtration, you'll want a 4-6" thick filter. Honeywell makes one that fits in standard 1" filter-grille housings with a merv 10 rating. If your current filter is actually mounted at the air-handler, they have oversized housings available that can accommodate bigger filters. If you want more effective filtering, you need a thicker filter, or you will lose efficiency & airflow.
Thanks

I guess I am at a loss to understand how a thicker filter can help unless it is somehow in stages and even then it seems to me air flow would be less.

The filter I have is like most common home filters. It is wall mounted and the main air input to the air handler. It is about 4-6 feet from the actual air handler.

The temps/humidity over the next few days are going to be similiar so to alleviate the air filter question in my own mind, I am going to buy the same type filter that I was using (PURAFILTER 2000) and see if I notice a difference. If not better/more efficient, then I will place an AC service call.

Maybe I am going through "the change" so I am more tepmperature sensitive..........LOL

Old 07-27-2012, 06:44 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
There's a lot of factors in whether or not it's a good idea. Nine out of 10 times you'll see a loss in capacity that's really only noticeable at the upper limits of your system's abilities.

Where is your filter located?
What size is your filter?
How much cooling capacity does it have?
What type of system do you have?
What is the SEER for it?
What temperature do you like it to be in your home?
How old is your home?
How well sealed is your home?

Old 07-27-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Thanks

I guess I am at a loss to understand how a thicker filter can help unless it is somehow in stages and even then it seems to me air flow would be less.
If you took a 20" x 20" x 1" pleated filter and took it out of the frame and stretched it out how much surface area would it have? If you took a 20" x 20" x 4" filter and took it out of the frame how much surface area would it have?

Therein lies your answer.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:29 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

Therein lies your answer.
Not exactly.
Just because you have more surface area doesn't mean the air is filtered more- it just means there more surface area to catch "airborne particulate".
So, now you add a high merv rating to the equation- less air flow because of the higher filtering rate. But wait, there's more.
"Most" airborne particulate will not "stay" airborne for an extended period of time- it winds up as dust on furniture, dirt in your carpet, and grim on your walls never seeing or being caught in the filter.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:00 PM

It is exactly as I said and answered that poster's question which is a typical question about why a thicker filter isn't more restrictive. It's given that they're of the same type and material with the only difference being thickness or depth of the filter. It's all about surface area.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:19 PM

Allow me to get back and name names. I had a PURAFILTER 2000 ($10 or so at local grocery chain) in my HVAC system and all was well. I decided to change it (as I do every few months) and I bought a FILTrete 1900 ($18 or so at a big box store.

Well as I said, it seems to me (no proof) that my AC is not as efficient with the new filter. Meaning I thing it is running more then it was before and not cooling as well. Again, no proof and I would not bet a large amount on this....but.

Today I bought a PURAFILTER 2000. I will install it tomorrow and see what happens.

Again, I have no proof and if no changes I will place a service call to an HVAC company.

I will keep all informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House