Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 04:39 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times

Advertisements

A good thing to do is spend some time looking online for basic repair information on different things in your home. Youtube always has some profession and not so professional people posting videos to give you the basics of troubleshooting a/c, garbage disposals, hot water heaters, etc....

I don't recommend fooling around with electrical problems unless you know what you are doing but you do need to be informed how things work or just paint the word "sucker" on your forehead. There are a lot, a whole lot of repair companies that will love to come to your home, fix a simple problem, and charge you a bundle. That is how it is so be smart, informed.

- What size a/c? Make, model, year installed, last cleaned, basic maintenance check, where is the breaker?

- What size hot water heater? how old? Did you ever drain the water (once every 2 years is adequate) to help keep it working better?

- Garbage Disposal - Mine quit working, I did reset the breaker, nothing, almost called a repair guy, but did a quick review
on the net, youtube, found a article that said most disposals have a reset switch on the top, I checked, found it, bang, back in business. That saved me 50-90 bucks.

The big advantage homeowners have today is the net. We can get smart for free and it pays off in the end.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 04:56 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Went out for a bit and came back to a hot house. Seems A/C is not blowing cold. Not sure of the ton size, but unit looks pretty new, house is not that old.
Is there anything we can do to troubleshoot this ourselves before we call a tech.
when it rains, it pours. Story of my life.
Sometimes when the unit has been running a long time and you have the temp turned down perhaps below 68 or 70, it will ice up and blow warm air. Check to see if there is ice on the line going into the compressor. If it does shut the AC off, put it on "fan" and run it for a few hours so it can defrost itself. If the temp. is too low on the AC when you are running it the gas turns into a liquid and freezes. We just had our yearly maintenance done about a month ago on ours and the tech said that we should be keeping our temp at 70, 68 at the lowest. We had been keeping it at about 66 at night because we both like it cold when we sleep...not a great idea.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:01 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
I keep my temp at around 80, sometimes 78 at night. With temps in the 100s, that is cool enough for me! Thanks for the info!

Old 08-07-2012, 03:30 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
my set of manifold gauges is so old it only has r22, r12 ,and r502 on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House