Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 08:45 PM

19 posts, read 183,805 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a way to build a fence that is temporary yet sturdy that's relatively inexpensive? Something that doesn't require posts to be set in the ground (renting, so it's not allowed). It's mainly to keep my dog (40lb shepherd mix) enclosed but I would also like to have some sort of a backyard aswell.

I've looked into dog runs but they're usually too small to be ideal for creating a space big enough for a backyard. I'm looking to close off an area of about 70 feet wide by 7 feet in depth. It's needs to be atleast 6 feet high (my dog can already clear a fence 5 feet in height).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 08:53 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,263,975 times
Temporary, sturdy and inexpensive without posts in the ground... not really possible for a traditional fence 7x70. They make panels you can use (usually 10x6) but without posts to secure the panels, it is not going to be sturdy at 7 panels long. Or you can do the modular kits, but to get the amount of space you want, you're looking in the thousands of $$$. Have you thought about an invisible fence?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
Temporary, sturdy and inexpensive without posts in the ground... not really possible for a traditional fence 7x70. They make panels you can use (usually 10x6) but without posts to secure the panels, it is not going to be sturdy at 7 panels long. Or you can do the modular kits, but to get the amount of space you want, you're looking in the thousands of $$$. Have you thought about an invisible fence?
Yes I thought about an invisible fence. The only problem is that it doesn't prevent other animals or little kids from entering.

I've heard that remesh is pretty sturdy and almost stands up on it's own. I thought about buying a few concrete piers that have a metal strap on top and using those to nail some 4x4's to for the posts. Home Depot sells a metal remesh roll 5' x 140 feet for $100 so it's plenty long enough but not quite tall enough. But it would sit a few inches off the ground anyways due to the concrete piers. Would this idea work?

Thanks.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:28 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,573,053 times
Go over to Southern States and purchase the kennel with squared off corners kennel panel (thats four panels). Then at this point you can either purchase three more sets or they can order twelve panels with no doors (may take a month to do so). This will give you a 10x70 cofiguration. If you need to have a 7' panel for depth instead of the standard 10' it will cost more to be made (add $150). Figure it to be around $1200 (for all the panels). It'll take about two hours to assemble with only two people with a ratchet and a hammer.

If you want it to have a roof then go over to HD/Lowes and purchase fourteen metal (10') conduit pipes, two rolls of 100' (x6' for overlap) 2"x4" wire fence and a 100 bag of heavy duty wire ties. The pipes will need a few inches cut off and two holes drilled on each edge. Install two for each panel and wire tie them to the panels. Once they are in place unroll 72' from each roll and wire tie it in place. Cut off excess and you're done.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 08-05-2012 at 08:57 AM..

Old 08-05-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Go over to Southern States and purchase the kennel with squared off corners kennel panel (thats four panels). Then at this point you can either purchase three more sets or they can order twelve panels with no doors (may take a month to do so). This will give you a 10x70 cofiguration. If you need to have a 7' panel for depth instead of the standard 10' it will cost more to be made (add $150). Figure it to be around $1200 (for all the panels). It'll take about two hours to assemble with only two people with a ratchet and a hammer.

If you want it to have a roof then go over to HD/Lowes and purchase fourteen metal (10') conduit pipes, two rolls of 100' (x6' for overlap) 2"x4" wire fence and a 100 bag of heavy duty wire ties. The pipes will need a few inches cut off and two holes drilled on each edge. Install two for each panel and wire tie them to the panels. Once they are in place unroll 72' from each roll and wire tie it in place. Cut off excess and you're done.

Actually, I over estimated the length. I need between 30 - 40 feet, not 70. This is only going to be a 2 sided fence. The backyard is already fenced on both sides. However, I share the whole backyard with two other houses behind me and next to me.

I'm only looking to fence off the portion that's open which I only need two sides to completely close it off to the rest of the houses.

I've though about building a freestanding two sided picture frame fence and filling it in with some sort of welded wire. I figured the weight of it and length should prevent it from falling over.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:53 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,038,809 times
We have used mesh for fencing but still needed posts....we used the flanged metal ones....about every 10 feet.
The wire is sturdy enough for the dog but not enough not to sag/bow .
It is sturdy enough so that ,even though higher than the posts once they are in the ground, those top inches never caused a problem.
Those posts do not leave holes that are difficult to repair.
However,you still have a height problem and while the hooks on the posts allow hanging the mesh up higher, the dog could then go under.
An overhead run might be the better solution (as long as the dog isn't going to be left home alone)

Old 08-06-2012, 10:34 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
Just get some steel fence posts and some standard wire 6' fencing (like you use for a horse pen). Cheapest, quikest fence you can do and it is easliy removable. Buy or rent or make a fence post driver, it is not worth it to tryt o drive the posts with a hammer. You can make a post driver out of a piece of 3" steel pipe. Put a cap on the top and add somethingn for weight (if you can weld, it makes it easier to make one).

I bought the materials for less than $200 and installed a 20x60 run in one day. You will have to improvise a gate. Gates are expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House