Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would be a turn-off for buying a house?
Overhead power lines 27 54.00%
Power plant / substation nearby 28 56.00%
Powerful radio transmitters nearby 29 58.00%
Cell phone towers 20 40.00%
Lack of sidewalks 12 24.00%
Presence of sidewalks 2 4.00%
Streets with potholes 18 36.00%
Alley behind house 11 22.00%
People working on cars outside 16 32.00%
Flood zone 43 86.00%
Downwind from a paper plant 36 72.00%
Downwind from a sewage plant 44 88.00%
Downwind from a bakery 6 12.00%
Kids playing baseball / soccer in streets 10 20.00%
Presence of a solitary crack house 40 80.00%
Two burglaries in the last month 27 54.00%
Indoor furniture / van seats on your neighbors' porches 31 62.00%
Open garages 5 10.00%
Uncompleted homes 13 26.00%
Dirt road 16 32.00%
Bar within 1000 ft of house 22 44.00%
No bar within 1000 ft of house 1 2.00%
In valley (lower than average elevation) 11 22.00%
On hill 3 6.00%
Within a mile of EPA Superfund site 27 54.00%
Wind turbines within 1000 ft of house 19 38.00%
Bland architecture 11 22.00%
All "snout" houses (houses whose facade is dominated by a garage) 16 32.00%
Large lots (5+ acres) 4 8.00%
Small lots (<5000 ft^2) 23 46.00%
"Hipster" neighborhood 13 26.00%
Liberal protest / picket signs in lawns 12 24.00%
Cul-de-sacs 6 12.00%
Bad public school district 23 46.00%
None of the above 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:20 PM

19 posts, read 56,658 times

Advertisements

Downwind of a paper plant and/or high tension power lines (massive tower type) would be the No way for me. I have worked in town with a papermill ..I worked on the hill on the north side of town. In winter it wasn't bad, because of the northern wind blew the smell away from my work. But in summer and working in a shop without AC the smell was overwhelming at times. As for power lines(high Voltage) Ive seen some nice houses listed cheap and in the pics if you look close you can see how they took the pics trying to hide the the power lines..I google any address of a house I look at and sure enough there the power lines are ..right behind the house . I looked at a house (online) in western Pa that had been redone ,all the rooms were done very nicely. In the pic taken of the front of the house all looked great,,but after looking through the inside pics..I noticed something odd looking through the window in one of the pics. I googled and binged the address...the was a coal fired power plant within 1/2 mile of the house and you could clearly see the 100ft tall stacks out the back window of the kitchen....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 12:49 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Hmm.... I live downwind of a sewer plant - maybe 1/4 of a mile? But it may be a well managed one because I rarely experience an odor. Maybe 4-5 times a year and it is faint. I might not recognise it as such except it reminds me of the greenbelt behing my childhood home which accomodated a sewer line and its vented manholes.

Not something you want full strength every day but it doesn't bother me a bit. Having a view of the river is worth any minor annoyance.

Now a paper plant - that is an odormaker - no doubt about it. Sometimes it pains me to drive past a paper plant on the interstate.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What else did I vote for ... crack houses and flood zones and Superfund sites. Common sense, eh?
I wouldn't mind one crack house. It would be a temporary problem. If the cops didn't put a stop to it, I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKudzo
I'm a snob. People working on cars in the driveway is just fine but any vehicles parked on the lawn for maintenance or parking would be a big turnoff.
I'm a snob in this regard too.

I don't have a problem with people working on their cars temporarily, doing work that takes a few days to a few weeks tops, using real jacks and.

I do have a problem with cars up on concrete blocks indefinitely.

But I didn't pick "people working on cars" as an negative because the OP didn't clarify between normal car repair/maintenance and the permanent work-in-progress type.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:06 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
I have had several houses in various neighborhoods so I am at the point where I pretty much have strong opinions about specific things. Then others may be tolerable depending on the phase of life I am in. I pretty much find that my home buying preferences go with whatever stage I am in. Before becoming a parent I didn't mind small yards and walking distance to bars, businesses and so forth. I grew up where most men in the neighborhood worked on cars but this was usually done in the backyard or in a garage so that doesnt bother me unless its in complete view all the time. I now live in burbs on a cul-de-sac and I have to say cul-de-sac living isn't what its cracked up to be. You basically have a mini cement playground/parking lot/turn around for everyone in the neighborhood. I find it annoying to be honest.

I will not live by anything that will kill resale value such as factories or very large power lines. I avoid neighborhoods with blight or where people do not keep up the appearance of their homes. Superfund sites are a no go. We actually almost bought a house located right next to a superfund site. The builder didnt bother to disclose this (and he didnt have to per the law). We walked away from the deal and lost several thousand dollars. It was worth it. My husband is a cancer survivor and there is no way in hell I am going to add more risk.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Hmm.... I live downwind of a sewer plant - maybe 1/4 of a mile?
My first house was 1,600 feet for a sewage treatment plant, and I never smelled anything. It was rare I even smelled the marsh 2 blocks away.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:12 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
All this talk about pot holes slowing down traffic makes me want to go out in my street with a jack hammer and implement a few pot holes. LOL

Old 08-21-2012, 03:30 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
All this talk about pot holes slowing down traffic makes me want to go out in my street with a jack hammer and implement a few pot holes. LOL
There used to be a few potholes right in front of my door. Cars didn't slow much. They just make a big clunk sound from the impact. Now the potholes are filled. It's so much more quiet inside and I'm sure the cars are going even faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House