Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 07:24 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times

Advertisements

Are there any plumbers here on CD?! Please help! My toilet keeps refilling for no reason but the water level remains the same...so weird and dumb and annoying. It just keeps running and running and running and now the water valve won't turn it off no matter how much I turn it!!!

It's times like these that I wish I wasn't such a pretty boy and was more useful in the art of mechanicalanomics.

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,221 times
Have you tried replacing the flapper that opens / closes at the bottom of the back tank? It may be letting water past it's "seal" if it's really old. Your back tank may be filling up so much that it's going over the overflow valve, there's an adjustment screw, try making it so the water level is 1/4 - 1/2 inch below the top of the over-flow pipe. As far as the water valve not shutting off, that's something I won't know how to fix. Oddly enough I've been working on my toilet on and off for the past few days and been trying to figure out a slow-flush problem and all the information I've gathered has been performed. I hope this helps!

EDIT - Wouldn't be the over-flow valve, never-mind.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
Have you tried replacing the flapper that opens / closes at the bottom of the back tank? It may be letting water past it's "seal" if it's really old. Your back tank may be filling up so much that it's going over the overflow valve, there's an adjustment screw, try making it so the water level is 1/4 - 1/2 inch below the top of the over-flow pipe. As far as the water valve not shutting off, that's something I won't know how to fix. Oddly enough I've been working on my toilet on and off for the past few days and been trying to figure out a slow-flush problem and all the information I've gathered has been performed. I hope this helps!

EDIT - Wouldn't be the over-flow valve, never-mind.
Wait so is the valve thing you're talking about the black rubber thing connected to the chain thing? It looks twisted but are you supposed to put your hand in there?!

Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Wait so is the valve thing you're talking about the black rubber thing connected to the chain thing? It looks twisted but are you supposed to put your hand in there?!
Certainly!

Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,370,546 times
Quote:
Are there any plumbers here on CD?! Please help! My toilet keeps refilling for no reason but the water level remains the same...so weird and dumb and annoying. It just keeps running and running and running and now the water valve won't turn it off no matter how much I turn it!!!

It's times like these that I wish I wasn't such a pretty boy and was more useful in the art of mechanicalanomics.

HELP!
Give this video a whirl.

Video: How to Replace a Toilet Fill Valve | eHow.com

Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Yes, put your hands in there, it is clean water....rusty inside maybe....but not toilet water. You may have to fit the plug into the hole....if it is twisted, see if you can juggle the chain a bit. Sometimes the plug falls lopsided and doesn't cover the whole area securely. That would mean the water is running, without fillling. If it doesn't fill and raise the float (water floats) it would keep running like you're describing. And, sometimes you can jiggle the handle on the toilet and that can help too. Read ...
HGTV Toilet Troubles : Decorating : Home & Garden Television

Old 08-20-2012, 08:23 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,370,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Yes, put your hands in there, it is clean water....rusty inside maybe....but not toilet water. You may have to fit the plug into the hole....if it is twisted, see if you can juggle the chain a bit. Sometimes the plug falls lopsided and doesn't cover the whole area securely. That would mean the water is running, without fillling. If it doesn't fill and raise the float (water floats) it would keep running like you're describing. And, sometimes you can jiggle the handle on the toilet and that can help too. Read ...
HGTV Toilet Troubles : Decorating : Home & Garden Television
Yeah - hahaha - it's good to realize that the water in the back of the toilet is UNUSED water. The same water that comes out of your tap in your kitchen sink.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:59 PM

I finally fixed it! You guys are the best! But I put two gloves on my hand just to be sure...not sure if I trust that water despite what you guys are saying.

Anyway I think the problem was the valve was flipped upside down or something.

Off to call my dad and wake him up to let him know that his son isn't so girly after all.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:08 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
He will be proud. Tell him you've bought a new screwdriver just for emergencies.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
He will be proud. Tell him you've bought a new screwdriver just for emergencies.
Lol he'd have a heart attack if I went that far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House