Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 06:41 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times

Advertisements

I just got a new Grill two months ago, I had an old propane tank I had refilled, I used the grill maybe a dozen times to cook four hamburgers each time. Now when I try to start it, the flame is barely lit and it blows out, can it be out of gas so soon? The tank don't feel empty to me. Could something be clogging the fuel line? I never cleaned it, except to scrap off the grill surface with a wire brush when it's hot before cooking. How long would you expect a full tank of propane to last on a grill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 06:48 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
You probably have a leak somewhere and have lost your gas.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:01 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Or the venturi tubes could be obstructed - spider webs and such.
You can get a special brush to clean them out.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I just got a new Grill two months ago, I had an old propane tank I had refilled, I used the grill maybe a dozen times to cook four hamburgers each time. Now when I try to start it, the flame is barely lit and it blows out, can it be out of gas so soon? The tank don't feel empty to me. Could something be clogging the fuel line? I never cleaned it, except to scrap off the grill surface with a wire brush when it's hot before cooking. How long would you expect a full tank of propane to last on a grill?
I believe the rule of thumb is about 20 hours on high/ medium high.

4 hamburgers, takes, what 10 minutes, plus another 5-10 to warm up? Assuming 20 minutes in total, 12 times is about 4 hours.

Check your hoses for a leak and make sure your hose is correctly hooked up the the regulator. Also, you can do the hot water test to see how much propane is left.
How to Check the Level of a Propane Tank | eHow.com

Old 08-22-2012, 11:55 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
I recently had what I thought was an empty tank (it would only get the grill up to 200 degrees). I let it run and 2 hours later, it was still burning. Turned out there must have been a blockage somewhere. I closed the valve on the tank, detached the hose and then re-attached it. The grill worked like normal again (able to get one more grilling out of it as it was near empty). I'm guessing there was an ice blockage in the tank or hose connection.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:55 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I usually twist the handle on the gas tank to off when through with the grill. Even a tiny leak over time will drain a tank. That said, Pitt Chick is likely correct about the venturis. Other issues would be clogged orifices (a strand of wire poked in may help, it isn't a high-tech engine you can damage) or a malfunctioning valve.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:20 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Same here harry chickpea, I turn the barbe off at the tank when I'm finished.....sometimes TechGromit, when I haven't used it for a long time, I have to light it a couple of times, I suspect some little spider or what not has set up a home....when I'm cooking regular on the barbe (summer months) a 20lb bottle will last me a good 3 weeks, and that's cooking potatoes and steaks, whatever....full meals every night of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House