Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 03:13 PM

371 posts, read 1,363,065 times

Advertisements

We got a new roof put in. Paid a ton of money for it. The guy who did it has a reputable business, is insured, etc. and the roof came with a long-term warranty from a company and a shorter term warranty from the roofer company himself for labor.

About a week after the roof got put in, there was a lot of rain and it started raining in our house - there were multiple areas of leaks, including one very significant one. We called the roofer, he came by within a few days and noted the problem was they forgot to put a cap on the chimney and seal the kitchen sky light. So he did that. That solved that problem.

A week or so later, after a sustained couple of days of rain, one of the upper level bedrooms that also has a sky light began to leak. The paint bubbled very badly on part of the ceiling. We had to take off the paint, spackel and paint a big chunk of the ceiling. We called the roofer that day. He said he'd come by to check it out. He didn't come the day he said he would and I had to call him multiple times before he showed up. He assessed that it was the same issue as the other sky light (they seemed to not have put some sort of seal between the roof seams and the skylight). He said he'd send one of his guys over to fix it. I expressed my concern that it would rain and leak again and we need this done ASAP cuz I don't want permanent damage to the ceiling, walls, carpet or my property. This guy's all "yes, of course, no problem". Well, the guy he was supposed to send didn't show up yesterday. I called the roofer this morning and was polite, but firm that I was not happy that he is not making this a priority and that he is telling me he's going to do something at a certain time/day and then doesn't do it and doesn't even call. I noted that it's supposed to rain and thunderstorm and I don't need any more problems with water leaks. Well, he got upset with me saying that he was fixing the sky light issue as a "favor" and I should be glad he's not charging me. Umm, what?!!! That was not leaking before until he did the roof. Not only that, but the sky light is, after all, part of the roof. While I wouldn't expect him to fix glass on the skylight or its hardware, as a roofer, I assume that part of his job is knowing how to set up the roof to seal properly around the sky light so as not to create leaks. How the hell is this not his problem???!!!!!

Anyway, I remained polite and said I'm not calling to argue, just to let him know I'm very concerned about this getting done and I really would appreciate him getting his guy over here as soon as possible. He said the guy would be over this afternoon. When he didn't give me a time, i asked him to call me when he knew what time and he said he would call me by 4pm to let me know. It's 5:10pm. This is what he has done for a while now - give me times and days and bull**** and then just ignore me. He did well fixing the first problem, so I've had faith, but it feels like he's put us on the bottom of his to-do list -- and I would be patient if it weren't as urgent as it is, since the damage could quickly spiral into a much bigger problem if more water comes in.

What can I do about this situation if he doesn't come solve it by this weekend? I feel I'm getting done talking to him? As usual, I used good faith, so I didn't send him letters about the problems, just phone conversations and now I'm thinking it would be a he-said she-said kind of thing. But there's no denying my freaking room leaks when it rains despite a over $10K brand new roof. How is that not his responsibility???!! And, what's the point of his warranty, if he's going to do whenever he feels like it, rather than when it's needed?

Last edited by Minier; 08-17-2012 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 06:08 PM

44,644 posts, read 61,677,004 times
If he's a licensed bonded and insured roofer then he should immediately take care of all the leaks and costs of repairs. He created the problem, he's responsible for it. If he doesn't then call your State Registrar of Contractors. If he's licensed and doesn't do as needed he'll lose his license. If he'e not licensed/insured then you may need to get an attorney and file a lawsuit if he doesn't fix the problems within a reasonabnle time, like between rainstorms

Old 08-17-2012, 08:33 PM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
If he's a licensed bonded and insured roofer then he should immediately take care of all the leaks and costs of repairs.
Meaning- if he isn't "licensed bonded and insured" that he can fix whenever he gets around to it; or just ignore the squeaky wheel and hope it goes away?
Your qualifiers have nothing to do with it- he screwed up, and he should fix them regardless.

OP- just stay after him. Document every call, text, email. Note with pictures current condition(s) of roof, ceilings, skylites. If, after a couple of weeks of non compliance to his warranty- start legal proceedings. Like a formal letter of intent, sent certified mail.
Maybe he one of those types that respond well when there's a fire under his ass!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Meaning- if he isn't "licensed bonded and insured" that he can fix whenever he gets around to it; or just ignore the squeaky wheel and hope it goes away?
Your qualifiers have nothing to do with it- he screwed up, and he should fix them regardless.

OP- just stay after him. Document every call, text, email. Note with pictures current condition(s) of roof, ceilings, skylites. If, after a couple of weeks of non compliance to his warranty- start legal proceedings. Like a formal letter of intent, sent certified mail.
Maybe he one of those types that respond well when there's a fire under his ass!
That's sure not what the post I read that you're quoting PART of meant!

Here's the whole thing, in context:

If he's a licensed bonded and insured roofer then he should immediately take care of all the leaks and costs of repairs. He created the problem, he's responsible for it. If he doesn't then call your State Registrar of Contractors. If he's licensed and doesn't do as needed he'll lose his license. If he'e not licensed/insured then you may need to get an attorney and file a lawsuit if he doesn't fix the problems within a reasonabnle time, like between rainstorms

Old 08-18-2012, 08:45 AM

445 posts, read 1,605,926 times
If water has come thru the ceiling then the insulation is wet and needs to be removed and replaced... All the wet areas have to be treated to prevent mold It sounds like you have given him enough time and been NICE long enough .. You have a responsibility to mitigate the damages.. I would call someone to fix the problems and sue the first guy... I would put a sign in my yard letting others know who NOT to call...

Old 08-18-2012, 09:35 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,909,915 times
Call him first and threaten legal action and then Ask a lawyer to write a nasty note. If possible get a 3rd party to inspect his work. You don't want problems x years down the road

Old 08-18-2012, 11:35 AM

371 posts, read 1,363,065 times
Thank you for the responses. He is bonded and insured. He even gave a warranty on his labor, but what use is it if he won't show up? We have taken photographs and took video of the dripping while it was raining last night. Also, went up on the roof and photographed the spots where the problem appears to be coming from (doesn't look like a skylight issue, though we are no experts). After a bunch of additional calls, last night he said he would be here first thing in this morning (it's now 1:30pm, he's not here). I'm putting in a call to a second roofer to get this situation inspected and fixed, since I have no desire to wait for further damage to happen because of this guy's non-responsiveness. That's step one. Based on what the new roofer says regarding what's damaged and what needs repairing now, I'll make further plans of action. I'm incredibly irate that a new roof has actually cost me this much grief and aggravation (and $$) when the whole point was to prevent any issues since the roof was getting old. Should've left well enough alone, I guess! Argh!

Old 08-18-2012, 03:49 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,645,213 times
With that many problems on a new roof, the guy is an incompetent hack and I wouldn't want him to touch it again. I would bet money if a good roofer took a look, you would find he hacked the whole thing together and you will never get satisfaction from him.
If there are that many problems, I would be scared to death of all the poor quality work he did and covered up and are yet to show up. The guy has no pride in his workmanship or there would be no problems.
You are required to give him first chance at fixing it, but don't give him much slack, for I see a crooked guy who got paid and doesn't care about you or your roof.Check with your state contractors licensing board, and seek legal advice. It's obvious to me that you will never get him to resolve the issue. I wish you the very best..

Old 08-18-2012, 04:14 PM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
That's sure not what the post I read that you're quoting PART of meant!

You read way to much in to it (and I took nothing "out" of context)-
And obviously overlooked the sentence- "Your qualifiers have nothing to do with it- he screwed up, and he should fix them regardless."
I also based my statement on the rather obvious past postings of the OP- which appears to make (s)he in NC. And the only licensing requirement in NC is for "General Contractors"; I don't look at roofing contractors as "General Contractors". I look at them as "sub-contractors".

Old 08-19-2012, 11:13 PM

563 posts, read 1,788,783 times
If he's BBB, then give them a call and explain your case. I've heard folks say after they've done that, their issue was taken care of within several days. Your mileage may vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House