Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 02:48 PM

10,025 posts, read 17,939,539 times

Advertisements

I recently moved into a new house, which I love ... except for the kitchen, which I basically hate. (Honestly, I think it's because I'd remodeled the kitchen at my old house just 3 years before, and it was incredibly functional AND beautiful ... and this one is just awful ...) Anyway, one thing I hate about it is that it is CARPETED. You can imagine how gross it gets even with frequent vacuuming ... my kitties seem to have chosen this room as their favorite place to vomit so even if I catch it quickly, the carpet is quickly getting stained. (It's dark so it doesn't really show, but I know it's there and it's yucky.)

At my old house, when I remodeled I had 18" tile put in, and it was gorgeous and worked well. I will be remodeling my current kitchen but not for at least 2-3 years (and it might be put off for 4-5 years, depending on other things that might be higher priority), so I don't really want to spend a whole lot of money on flooring now. Any suggestions on what I should go with that won't cost too much? The kitchen is about 12'6" by 11' so not very big (and 3' of that 11' is a passage to the TV room, so it's even tinier to work in).

I have no idea what's under the carpet -- the living room and dining room are both hardwood so maybe there is hardwood underneath? (In which case, I would keep it!)

I don't like vinyl (that's what I got rid of at the old house) but might that be a decent solution for a few years? And is that something I could install myself?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 02:52 PM

17,421 posts, read 65,612,338 times
Vinyl sheet flooring/ perimeter glued. Makes for great temporary flooring because when it comes out there's just the perimeter that will need additional attention for prep'ing in the new flooring- whatever it may be.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:25 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,493,792 times
You could go with those peel and stick vinyl squares. You could go with one of those fake ceramic/stone looking tiles.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:30 PM

10,025 posts, read 17,939,539 times
K'ledge, just checked online for vinyl sheeting ... some of it has really good reviews. Sounds like that might be a good solution.

Akck, I think sheeting might be more practical than squares, but thanks for replying!

Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,871,134 times
My rental has vinyl sheeting in all of our bathrooms (and foyer). It looks decent (it's obvously vinyl, but looks nice and clean). If the perimiter comes up, there is a kind of bracket that can be glued to the sheet and the cabinets to push the vinyl back down.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:50 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,528,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I don't like vinyl (that's what I got rid of at the old house) Too Bad.
but might that be a decent solution for a few years? It's a Forever Solution.
And is that something I could install myself? Not Likely.
You should be able to do all the demo work to remove the carpet...
but until you get to that point it's just a guess for what will be needed beyond that.

Plan for some lauan plywood and basic vinyl sheet.
Get help putting them in.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:31 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,624,826 times
I think what is under the carpeting might set the direction of how/cost to replace.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:36 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,083,186 times
Ack. I hate carpeted kitchens. It was a huge deal when I was a kid. My grandmother had it installed and then my mom did. I remember my friend's parents went with it too. If you are looking for a inexpensive and easy to rip out later solution, I would probably go with a pergo type flooring. The Pergo brand is probably more expensive but many places are selling much cheaper versions. It floats and can be easily popped up later. Could also be donated to a local charity when you are done with it.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:23 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,784,276 times
i had a carpeted kitchen, i plan on hopefully redoing it in 3-5 years completly, its PART hardwood underneath (looks like thered been some water damage so they replaced 1/2 the floor with ply) and i ant afford to replace the rest yet and my kitchen is also small so i whent with a good quality sheet vinyl...the better quality stuff looks feels and wears MUCH better, and when the time comes, itll be easy to remove!

i would NOT suggest peel and stick, once that glue gets a hold its a PITA to clean up the mess it leaves when you rip it back out...so unless youd be reflooring directly on top, id avoid them for a temporary solution.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:53 AM

600 posts, read 3,441,451 times
Armstrong and Mannington both make vinyls that can be loose laid rather than being glued at all. With all due respect to K'ledge Builder, perimeter glued systems can be a bit tricky for the DIY'er.

The two I'd look at are Armstrong's Stratamax and Mannington's Sobella. Both can be found on their respective websites, along with basic installation info. And when you get around to the actual remodel, you can simply roll these floors up and toss them into the recycle bin, or re-use them somewhere else.

Regards,
Streamer1212
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House