Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:50 AM

55 posts, read 167,803 times

Advertisements

Good morning all. I'm requesting a little advice. Here's my situation. I live in a four story townhouse. Bottom floor is the kitchen, 2nd floor is the living room and half bath, 3rd floor are two bedrooms and small landing, and the top floor is the master bedroom and full bath. The kitchen has white tile, the 2 bathrooms have lamitate, and the rest of the house has berber carpeting, stairwells and all. A few years ago I bought a surplus of engineered hardwood flooring from a coworker at a ridiculously low price because it was just sitting in his garage. They are 3" x 3/8" planks, pecan cherry, or something like that. My father and I used the engineered hardwood for the second floor living rood. We glued it down. It still looks good. The only weird thing is that the first floor kitchen is tile, stairs up to the living room is berber carpeting, and the second floor is this engineered hardwood.

I've recently gone through a refinance and got a little money back. Around $1800. I decided to put this money back into my house since that's the reason why I received the money in the first place. I've decided to place hardwoods on all 3 stairwells (7 steps each) as well as the landings/hallways at the third floor and the fourth floor. I think I have enough engineered hardwood material left over (around 120 sq. ft.) to accomplish this. I would have to hire a contractor to do the work. I'm down to two contractors and here is the work and prices they quoted me.

Contractor #1. Will use the engineered hardwood I already have for the stairs and landings. $900 Labor. $900 to buy the stair nosing for each step, possibly purchase more engineered hardwood in case I am short at $6.99 a sq. ft. Have to purchase the material for the risers which is still unknown at this point. So right now, I'm at $1,800 without the risers and may possibly need more engineered hardwood.

Contractor #2. Will use my engineered hardwood on the 2 landings (will definitely have enough material), will use solid wood and stain to match my engineered hardwood, install 3 total bull noses (at each transition). Install all the risers. Cost is $2,075 total, labor includes. This cost includes all material (stairs, risers, bullnose)

Which would you choose? Is solid wood better than engineered hardwood on stairs? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Solid wood has the advantage of being able to be refinished more time since there is actually more wood. You'll probably not be able to tell much of difference between the two when you put them down. I'd wait until you get all the information needed to get a complete quote on the first one.

Right now I would go for the second contractor because his quote seems more complete.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyaariel View Post
Is solid wood better than engineered hardwood on stairs?
Almost universally and especially if they aren't going to be carpeted... yes.
If they will be carpeted... then the MDF treads are fine.

Quote:
A few years ago I bought a surplus of engineered hardwood flooring....
Sell the bargain lot of flooring you have. Start over.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 AM

Thank you. I have a feeling they will cost about the same, or the engineered hardwood would cost a little more, which is strange since I thought I would save money using my own flooring material.

Is the cost in line with doing 21 steps?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:01 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
We just did our stairs but it was a DIY project. So I cant comment on a contractor price but do want to mention mixing the two materials. We actually had a difficult time matching Engineered wood to the hardwood treads we purchased. I have two landings that I wanted to use engineered wood on. My reason being I was pretty wiped out with staining and putting poly on the treads. It was taking a long time to do and I was kind over the whole thing by the 3rd week. Even though I stained the treads a common walnut color, the engineered stuff had a much duller finish and the stain on them didn't seem as deep or true as the hardwood. The grain on the hardwood really showed through where the engineered stuff did not. I cant really explain it properly but the two together looked off. I am no novice to hardwood refinishing but just wanted to point out what we ran into. So we bought unfinished hardwood flooring for the landing, stained it and put it down. I also felt that the extra coats of poly we put on was a good choice since I have dogs and wanted to maintain the finish as long as possible, since in general stairs take a beating. The engineered flooring seemed to have just one coat of poly on them. You would know better than I how the finish is holding up though. Good luck on whatever you decide. I personally hate carpet on stairs. its a pain to vacuum and gets dirty so fast!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:02 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
I've priced out steps before just for the treads and they cost anywhere from $35-40 per tread. I'd guess material-wise the cost would range from $700-1,100. Usually labor is at minimum, equal to the cost of materials so it looks like a good price. My guess is that a contractor will be able to better match the color since they do it all the time.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:12 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I've priced out steps before just for the treads and they cost anywhere from $35-40 per tread. I'd guess material-wise the cost would range from $700-1,100. Usually labor is at minimum, equal to the cost of materials so it looks like a good price. My guess is that a contractor will be able to better match the color since they do it all the time.
Whoa. What type of wood? Ours cost 17.98 each for red oak.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:23 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
To answer the question- contractor #2.
He obviously understands stairs and stair code.

If you use the engineered flooring over the current treads, you'll throw off the rise at the first and last steps. By replacing the current treads the contractor can keep the rise/run correct- finishing is just a matter of matching stain and finish.
This is also a good time to add any reinforcements to stringers if needed and also eliminate any squeaks that maybe present.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:04 PM

Where did you get the treads for $17.98 if you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Whoa. What type of wood? Ours cost 17.98 each for red oak.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:36 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Yeah!
I've never seen wholesale prices like that for r.o. treads; pine maybe.
Or was it a C/L find or Ebay closeout?

I've seen clear pine and poplar in that ballpark-

Here's a price list from 4yrs ago-
http://www.hardwood-lumber.com/images/stair_pricing.pdf

*which doesn't include shipping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House