Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:44 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

I tend to put off starting them. I will figure out what I am going to to and what I need. Buy the materials and or tools and then they sit until I feel like working on it.

There are some projects I get to a point where I am dearding the next step or I am nervous about my ability to complete it propoperly, so I find excuses to put it off. I have a closet I built int he mudroom where I need to cut down some folding doors and instal them. The doors are pretty old and were part of our house. I get one shot to cut them correctly. If I ruin them, I will probably have to re-build the closet to change the opeining size to fit a modern door. My Chop saw has a problem (the guide rail is not straight - thank you harbor freight), so I am a bit concerend about messing up. Thus I have put this particualr project off for three years wiating for a chance when my brother is visiting to help me. I actually once hired a handyman to instal those doors for me, but he gave me a price and then never came back when I asked him to come do it.

So sometimes, I stop before finishing the project, but not usually. However it is not unusually to have a hiatus of five or ten weekends when I am otherwise occupied and cannot work on a project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
You guys sound just like us. I guess a home is always a project in progress and one thing will always lead to another.

We enjoy it although usually some sort of argument ensues while the project is underway. My husband is so damn bossy. If he would just do everything I say, there would be no arguments.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:54 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
We decided to paint the house this year. We had an 8' slider with the seal broken, so we decided to replace it with 6' french doors before we painted. Now a 6' door left about 2' of space needing to be filled. Initially, I was going to just put up some plywood and re-side it to match the existing siding. The day before we started removing the slider, we decided a window would look better there above the dog door we'd be putting in. So we demoed the slider, framed and installed the new french doors. We also framed for the new dog door. Once that was complete, we measured and ordered a new window. We're currently waiting for the window to arrive (it's been 10 weeks). In the meantime, we painted the house, the trim and the front door. Finishing around the french and dog doors is waiting on the window too, both inside and out. At the rate things are going, we won't be able to finish painting around the doors until next year.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:56 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
No, my husband is the King of stalling a DYI project. As usual he is stalling on trim. He hates trim jobs.
He also stalls on painting. I have a slider to put in but he won't commit to it. Even if I hire someone to do it he is hesitant.
But I love that over the years he has helped people build their homes and additions. He is a Jack of all trades.
That has always been to our advantage.
However, yes...he stalls, and stalls, and stalls. Sooner or later it will get done, and I am hoping it is sooner.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:12 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
We enjoy it although usually some sort of argument ensues while the project is underway. My husband is so damn bossy. If he would just do everything I say, there would be no arguments.
Yeah - come on... we really know who is the bossy one here and gets their way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
We decided to paint the house this year. We had an 8' slider with the seal broken, so we decided to replace it with 6' french doors before we painted. Now a 6' door left about 2' of space needing to be filled. Initially, I was going to just put up some plywood and re-side it to match the existing siding. The day before we started removing the slider, we decided a window would look better there above the dog door we'd be putting in. So we demoed the slider, framed and installed the new french doors. We also framed for the new dog door. Once that was complete, we measured and ordered a new window. We're currently waiting for the window to arrive (it's been 10 weeks). In the meantime, we painted the house, the trim and the front door. Finishing around the french and dog doors is waiting on the window too, both inside and out. At the rate things are going, we won't be able to finish painting around the doors until next year.
Sounds like it might end up being a cold winter if that window doesn't arrive soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
No, my husband is the King of stalling a DYI project. As usual he is stalling on trim. He hates trim jobs.
He also stalls on painting. I have a slider to put in but he won't commit to it. Even if I hire someone to do it he is hesitant.
But I love that over the years he has helped people build their homes and additions. He is a Jack of all trades.
That has always been to our advantage.
However, yes...he stalls, and stalls, and stalls. Sooner or later it will get done, and I am hoping it is sooner.
Honey? Honey? Is that you? I think you may be the subconciousness of my wife. I;m sure what you are saying is EXACTLY what she is thinking. I always tell my wife - Hey..... the price of the labor is right.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Only thing about hiring a handyman or somebody like that to do the last few things is I just know they are going to do work that I'll be critical of and be upset that they didn't do it as good as I could have done.... and I am free. HA!
My mother once told me she thinks this is due to the fact that once you reach that almost-done point, you can easily visualize your dream coming to fruition and don't need to complete it to feel the satisfaction. The dopamine has come and gone, so what's the point?

I personally feel (after many years of procrastination and watching my mother procrastinate) that once you get to that almost-done point, you realize that it isn't going to turn out exactly they way you'd dreamed and is NOT going to substantially change your life for the better, so what's the point?

I've dealt by trying to be more realistic about what I will and will not finish. I can visualize something right down to the end, agree with myself that it is a great idea, accept that I don't have the time and energy to see it through, and then go do something that really needs doing, like the dirty dishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House