Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your favorite brand(s) of residential plumbing fixtures?
Moen 5 38.46%
Delta 4 30.77%
Kohler 3 23.08%
American Standard 2 15.38%
(Price) Pfister 3 23.08%
Brizo 0 0%
Danze 0 0%
Peerless 0 0%
Kingston Brass 0 0%
Rohl 0 0%
Aquasource 0 0%
Glacier Bay 0 0%
Other (specify) 3 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:49 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know someone will criticize me for my polls, however, polls are fun and interesting.

So, what are your favorite brand(s) of residential plumbing fixtures?

My picks are Moen and Delta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 11:08 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
I like Price Pfister but also chose "other", because I love Toto toilets.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:18 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
In general I like better quuality brands when I can afford them. Many of the listed brands are all Masco prducts and all are similar in quality. All of the listed ones are usually pretty low quality made in china stuff. Amongst those brands, If I have ot get a cheapo faucet or other fixture, I just pick the particular faucet that I like the looks of.

I tend to avoid Moen becuase those cartridges are such a bear to remove, but maybe they are better now. I would not know becuase i avoid them based on their older designs.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I tend to avoid Moen becuase those cartridges are such a bear to remove, but maybe they are better now. I would not know becuase i avoid them based on their older designs.
You can buy a tool specifically to get the Moen cartridge out. I know because I had to replace one in my shower (existing Moen faucet from when I bought the house; it may be original to the house which would be mid-80s). Couldn't do anything until I went back out to I think Home Despot and got that tool (which I learned about after digging around for additional info online). Plumbing always takes two trips to the store.... New ones may be somewhat different but I'm not sure they are significantly different.

On top of that, I think it's already starting to fail again a few years later. Seems to be dripping a hair even when pushed all the way off....

Old 09-17-2012, 07:40 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
DO NOT GET KINGSTON BRASS, THEY SUCK.

I bought a vanity faucet, rubbed oiled bronze, had to get a new hot water cartridge as there was no water pressure coming out. The cold was better, but not much.
There doesn't seem to be a good enough aireater in the water as it splatters when it comes out. Both handels now squeak when turned on. The faucet looks good, but I am not happy with the performance.

Now the drain thing, the bronze had worn away after 6 months thus showing brass underneath in both the vanity and bathtub. I called the company and they gave me 2 new drains, so far so good, but I haven't rubber them with anything to clean as of yet.

The bath tub handles oar fine, they work good, however the bathtub spout where the water comes out, seems to splatter also and does not have a nice water flow. The old brass spout from the early 80's when the water ran, it was aeratered very good and the sound of the water flow was even pleasant, this water flow has a horrible sound and sounds like a splattering effect in which it does.

So no, all in all, I do not like my kingston brass faucets and would never get this brand again. I only bought these to get rid of the brass and have the bronze, as it was a small update for the bathroom as I am not ready to do a full gut job as of now.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
You can buy a tool specifically to get the Moen cartridge out. I know because I had to replace one in my shower (existing Moen faucet from when I bought the house; it may be original to the house which would be mid-80s). Couldn't do anything until I went back out to I think Home Despot and got that tool (which I learned about after digging around for additional info online). Plumbing always takes two trips to the store.... New ones may be somewhat different but I'm not sure they are significantly different.

On top of that, I think it's already starting to fail again a few years later. Seems to be dripping a hair even when pushed all the way off....
I have that tool. But after spending hours with both feet on the wall pulling on that tool with all my might on more than one occaision, I prefer not to have to replace another Moen cartirdge. Sometimes, they just slide right out, sometimes they take hours of tugging, soaking, banging and tugging some more. Now, I just cut the moen device out, instal new pipe with shark bite connectors and put in a replacement device. If you fiactor int he value of your time, it is not worth it to replace cartridges.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:48 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
I have that tool. But after spending hours with both feet on the wall pulling on that tool with all my might on more than one occaision, I prefer not to have to replace another Moen cartirdge. Sometimes, they just slide right out, sometimes they take hours of tugging, soaking, banging and tugging some more. Now, I just cut the moen device out, instal new pipe with shark bite connectors and put in a replacement device. If you fiactor int he value of your time, it is not worth it to replace cartridges.
LOL Yeah, luckily it didn't take me quite that long. If I tear out the tub/shower (or have it done) someday I am damn well getting a new non-Moen faucet, that is for sure. But I might not be there much longer (couple years or so max most likely) and if I can clean it up enough and recaulk, I might not be changing the tub. I believe it would be difficult to completely change the faucet without removing that part of this fiberglas surround (it's a 4-piece but designed together so to change it the tub has to go too). Can't get to it from the back really, kitchen cabinets/counter in the way!

Old 09-17-2012, 10:53 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,502 times
I voted "other" for Grohe fixtures.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:03 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
In general I like better quuality brands when I can afford them. Many of the listed brands are all Masco prducts and all are similar in quality. All of the listed ones are usually pretty low quality made in china stuff. Amongst those brands, If I have ot get a cheapo faucet or other fixture, I just pick the particular faucet that I like the looks of.

Just in case anyone was wondering, the Masco brands are Peerless, Delta, and Brizo. Peerless is Masco's value-priced brand, Delta is their mainstream brand, and Brizo is their luxury brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House