Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 07:18 PM

211 posts, read 402,589 times

Advertisements

My Husq 350 is toast, I'd like to replace it but not sure which direction to take. As a girlie I gotta have one that is easy to start, the 350 was a very easy. I liked the power the 350 offered so don't want to step down...opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 05:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsfan View Post
My Husq 350 is toast,
Why do you say it's toast?

Quote:
As a girlie I gotta have one that is easy to start, the 350 was a very easy.
You know about the compression button? The blue one on the top of the saw assuming that model has it?

My Brother ran a tree service for years and bought Huskies exclusively, his saws never gave him any trouble and they were being used constantly. Having said that with Husky moving into the big box stores I have to question whether they have compromised quality.

What I would suggest is Stihl, if you go to dealer they do have pro saws that will be the same power and a lot less weight. You might be surprised to find out even some of those little saws for working in a tree can run into the $600 range.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:47 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
My Huskie has been generally OK, but does stuff sometimes that make me wonder about QC as well. For whatever reason, the muffler bolts decided to loosen and fall out last year. I've never had an engine where that happened.

For small jobs, it is much easier to pull out one of my electric chainsaws. I even have a little polesaw with 12" blade that can be powered by a 1200 watt generator. Super lightweight, press switch and it is going, release it and it stops and allows you all the time you want to fiddle with tops or branches or brush, then is ready and waiting for you.

If I was doing serious work in the woods, I'd pony up for a Stihl as well.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Echo is the easiest to start.

My father (82) went through a series of saws, bought them, tried them returned them. Tried most of the major brands. Settled on the Echo. It is substantially easier to start, by a lot, not just a little bit easier. It is not necessarily the best brand for
ruggedness and durability, but definitely the easiest to start.

I borrow it and work the heck out of it. Then I end up taking it in for repairs from time to time. When using it, it seems like I spend as much time sharpening the chain, tightening the chain, adjusting things as cutting. One thing makes a huge difference. Get rid of the homewoner safety chain it comes with and replace it with a real chain. It will cut 500% better. You just have to be more careful and prepared for kickback. Safety chain prevents kickback, but also prevents cutting.

But it sure starts easily.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:36 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Spouse loves his Stihl, and finds it easier to start than his old Craftsman.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
I like my Stihl farm boss.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:09 PM

211 posts, read 402,589 times
Thanks for the help everyone!...I did take it in to a repair center, they said it's burnt up. The 350 got a lot of use through the years.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:26 PM

735 posts, read 1,584,572 times
Stihl. Purchased after hurricane Fran (1996) and runs like new today with absolute no issues or repairs other than chains and oil.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:59 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,264 times
I was a dealer 30 years ago. Sold Echo, Stihl, and others. found echo underpowered. The new Huskys are really light, but I have not used one enough to really evaluate. I still have 2 30 year old stihls that cut 4 to 5 cords per year.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:09 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
I like Stihl the best. They are easier to buy in that the models numbers go up as they have more power. Also they always start for me, but note I keep my saws well maintained.

But how much power you need depends on how large around the trees are in your area you are cutting. If you need a longer bar for larger trees like on the west coast, then also need more power. If the saw you have been using worked ok, then get the same or equal power.

Another factor is parts and service. If you only have a husky dealer nearby, then get a husky! But if there is also a Stihl dealer nearby, then consider those as well. See how easy they are to start. Also how heavy various models are.

Note: Keep an eye on the air vents when sawing. Wood chips will fly up and block off the air flow which is needed to cool the engine. Sometimes the wind is blowing just right and those chips go right there. This can cause a chainsaw to overheat! (Brush the chips off with your hand every now and then.)

Also stay away from chainsaws sold in retail stores. They are designed to be used 2 times a year by homeowners and will not hold up heavy use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House