Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 03:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

We painted our fiberglass doors. Since you have questions, I'd visit a local paint store and talk to them about how to do this job properly. We've painted many things in our lives, but we had a lot of problems with our doors. We were using S-W paint for outdoor surfaces, and we could not get the job to look right. We had Ben Moore mix matching paint, and we had better luck. I painted the back door with the Ben Moore paint, but my job was not the best I've ever done.

Do find instructions online about how to paint doors, even fiberglass doors. Don't just slap paint on them any old way. I faked a real door with my brush strokes, and I think my job looks better than DH's.

When you buy paint, get the right brush, and make sure the paint is DIY friendly. You should get your best guidance from people who sell paint for a living, to DIYers and to pros.

By the way, my favorite front door is a steel one we add as a replacement to our last house. I thought it was the best door ever. And when it closed, it had such a satisfying thunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 04:32 AM

4 posts, read 1,137 times
Hi guys, this is my experience with fiberglass painting and staining. I work for a fiberglass door manufacturer name Nova Doors and we use a water based product called TruCoat for painting and staining our fiberglass doors. It is made specifically for fiberglass doors so it doesn’t require any special primers, is super durable and lays down really smoothly. You can check more about them on Trucoat.us

Old 07-22-2020, 03:25 AM

Hi guys, let me share you my first hand experience with fiberglass painting and staining.

I work for a fiberglass door manufacturer name Epic Doors and we searched for good product for years (working already 13 years in that company). Before year of two some new firm called Trucoat came at our office presenting their paint to us. We tried and guess what? Since then we use their water based products called for painting and staining our fiberglass doors. It is made specifically for fiberglass doors so it doesn’t require any special primers, is super durable and lays down really smoothly.

It Worth checking! We are super satisfied with it!

Old 07-22-2020, 06:41 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Let me say something about Flat Paint finishes. Don't use flat paint for anything.

When we bought our house last Fall, it'd been repainted with flat paint. I cannot tell you how many marks have been made on the drywall. And it's unwashable too. We much better prefer eggshell finish on drywall and gloss oil base paint on cabinetry and trim.

As far as exterior doors, we prefer a high quality semi-gloss latex paint as it sheds water and just holds up better. And it's washable.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:51 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Let me say something about Flat Paint finishes. Don't use flat paint for anything.

When we bought our house last Fall, it'd been repainted with flat paint. I cannot tell you how many marks have been made on the drywall. And it's unwashable too. We much better prefer eggshell finish on drywall and gloss oil base paint on cabinetry and trim.

As far as exterior doors, we prefer a high quality semi-gloss latex paint as it sheds water and just holds up better. And it's washable.
I agree, to a point I had my painter do all my exterior doors, one which was just installed and one which was older, in a semi-glass paint, and they're both holding up beautifully to the weather. Now, for my interior I did have him use flat paint on most of the plaster interior walls as flat finish is more "forgiving". (I don't make marks on the wall anyway). He did use an eggshell finish in the bathroom and kitchen though.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:12 AM

I work for Epic Doors which manufactures high-performance fiberglass entry doors. We evaluated several paint suppliers including TruCoat 623, Sherwin Williams Polane 2K Acrylic, and Aquasurtech D200.

We were looking for an environmentally friendly, single component water based paint that was super durable, had great adhesion and laid down smooth.

Based upon our evaluation we selected TruCoat 623. It was much more environmentally friendly than Polane 2K and is a single component and TruCoat had better adhesion than D200 and was priced better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House