Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 04:03 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, it seems that Energy Star qualified storage tank gas water heaters (those with an energy factor of 0.67 or greater) seem almost as expensive as tankless units. I understand that to achieve that level of efficiency for a storage tank unit, either power venting or an automatic flue damper will be required, which adds to their cost. Why do they have to be almost as expensive as tankless units though? What is the point if you can get even greater efficiency with a tankless unit for not much more?

Note that the initial energy factor set in 2009 for Energy Star qualification was 0.62, however, since September 2010 it has been raised to 0.67. So this means that even though your water heater may have an Energy Star label on it, it actually doesn't qualify for Energy Star under the current version of the standard, even though it may still qualify for energy rebates in some areas, as well as earning one LEED point. We have a 0.62 EF Bradford White M45036FBN unit, and I have seen other homes in our neighborhood that have the same model with an Energy Star label on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 04:25 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,139 times
Gas heaters, and stoves, are more expensive than electrics. Not sure all the reasons, but I just know that it's true.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:41 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Gas heaters, and stoves, are more expensive than electrics. Not sure all the reasons, but I just know that it's true.
I'm not comparing against electric water heaters, but against gas tankless water heaters.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:05 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
They will sell some because some people are simply traditionalists. Tankless seems new to them so they do not trust it. Just like some people still put copper plumbing in a house instead of PEX. No reason for it, not as good a product, not cost effective, but hey it is tried and true (althoguh Tankless and PEX have been around for decades, most people think they are relatively new.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House