Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 11:56 AM

70 posts, read 278,205 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what type of contractor I would hire to install a new exhaust vent for my clothes dryer? Plumber? Appliance installer? Handyman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 04:46 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I googled DRYER VENT INSTALLATION and my city/state when I was looking for someone to install my dryer vent. Then I checked the Better business Bureau to ensure that the company I selected was reliable.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:08 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Any HVAC contractor can handle that-
It's in their job description- "V"entilation.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Any of the above can probably install it correctly. Plumbers often get hired to instal washers and dryers so the vent is part of their work. A handyman who knows what he is doing is probably your best bet cost wise, howevr be wary, an idiot handyman can end up burning down your house. Do nto let him use that cheapo flexible pipe. It is flat out dangerous.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A handyman who knows what he is doing is probably your best bet cost wise, howevr be wary, an idiot handyman can end up burning down your house. Do nto let him use that cheapo flexible pipe. It is flat out dangerous.

I had a handyman install my dryer vent pipe the first time around. He was a good handyman but apparently knew nothing about dryer vents. He used that cheapo flexible pipe and vented it into the attic.

A couple of years later I read about how that installation could result in attic mold at best and a fire at worst. That's when I googled and found a company that specializes in installing dryer vents. They changed the cheapo pipe out for a solid one and did the installation through the roof, as it should be.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
He vented into the attic and just left it? You may be lucky to be alive. Dryer fumes are somewhat toxic. That is why you vent them to begin with. Venting into the attic means the fumes are settling right back into your bedrooms (unless the exhaust is lighter than air, but I am pretty sure it is not. Even if it is lighter than air, eventually your attic would fill up with exhaust and it woudl be forced down into your house. If it built up enough it might be dangerous. I would be ticked about that.

A good example of how a handyman could kill you (plus the fire risk). Of Course a fully licensed plumber or HVAC guy who is not knowlegable, dumb or lazy could just as easily have done the same thing. You may wnat to let your handyman know he should not be installing dryer vents or get some training or at least read a book about it. He might kill someone.

Venting through the roof can be problematic period. Dryer lint will build up on your roof and in your gutters. It can mix with other things and form a solid mat that will prevent drainage and can cause problems. I cannot remember seeing one venting through a roof before. Usually they vent through the walls. However I do know that lint can cause major problems for a building roof from a lawsuit by a building owner who was next door to a carpet mill and a wood working factory. The lint combined with the sawdust and created an impenetrable paste. LInt is actually a pretty tough material especially when combined wiht some other type of fiber. The same could happen if it combines wiht other things, cottonwood fluff, small leaves, maybe even dust. You should probably keep a close eye on your roof and gutters.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Venting through the roof can be problematic period. Dryer lint will build up on your roof and in your gutters. It can mix with other things and form a solid mat that will prevent drainage and can cause problems. I cannot remember seeing one venting through a roof before. Usually they vent through the walls. However I do know that lint can cause major problems for a building roof from a lawsuit by a building owner who was next door to a carpet mill and a wood working factory. The lint combined with the sawdust and created an impenetrable paste. LInt is actually a pretty tough material especially when combined wiht some other type of fiber. The same could happen if it combines wiht other things, cottonwood fluff, small leaves, maybe even dust. You should probably keep a close eye on your roof and gutters.

Thanks. I have the dryer vent guys come out once a year to inspect/clean my vent. I had the gutters checked/cleaned last month -- not because of the vent but because there are trees in yards adjacent to mine. The guy who checked them said he's never seen such clean gutters.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:22 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
HVAC company. I had one installed 6 months ago and they did a great job. Charged about $150 for an easy run (20') if I recall.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:14 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
My dad installed mine. Of course it was just a matter of knocking a hole in the wall to the side yard, nothing complicated. We moved the laundry inside during a remodel and the contracter had it going into the crawlspace under the house then outside, so many bends, but it broke under the house and we couldn't get to it so we just abandon it, patched and tiled the hole in the floor, and went for the straight shot through the wall. Now everything is accessable and easy to maintain with no place for lint to build up or hide.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:56 AM

482 posts, read 1,233,832 times
When I moved into my house, mine was vented directly into the garage. Recently, I ran it myself and hard piped it above the garage ceiling and out through a glass block window (there are pieces that will replace a glass block with the dryer vent).

If you don't feel comfortable doing things like that yourself, an HVAC person is the best way to go, as others have said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House