U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 04:14 AM

394 posts, read 706,332 times

Advertisements

Had a sewage backup last night through a basement shower drain. When we bought the house (3 years ago) it was stated in writing the house was on the sewer system and our water bill (WKUD) includes sewer. Getting a plumber out this AM to asses the situation. With this happening during prolonged rain (I did get water in the basement during the last heavy rain storm, but I didn't think it was sewage) I'm wondering if I'm actually on a septic system.

Anyone ever dealt with a similar situation?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 PM

Turns out to be a collapsed sewer line on the street. I was just the first house affected.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:27 PM

15,204 posts, read 11,297,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC20853 View Post
Turns out to be a collapsed sewer line on the street. I was just the first house affected.
At least it's NOT your problem to fix....

Old 10-03-2012, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,723 times
Default sewer problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC20853 View Post
Had a sewage backup last night through a basement shower drain. When we bought the house (3 years ago) it was stated in writing the house was on the sewer system and our water bill (WKUD) includes sewer. Getting a plumber out this AM to asses the situation. With this happening during prolonged rain (I did get water in the basement during the last heavy rain storm, but I didn't think it was sewage) I'm wondering if I'm actually on a septic system.

Anyone ever dealt with a similar situation?
Just because you are paying a bill does not mean you are hooked up to the system. Had a friend that lived in North Hills off Prosser Rd that has an older house. He was paying a sewer bill for years and then water/sewage sprang up in his backyard. With some digging, he found a septic tank and a dead drain field. He had to dig a ditch by hand to connect to the sewer. Suggest you determine where your sewer line leaves your house. If there is a septic tank, it should be pretty close to where the line exits the house. It should be no more than two feet deep. The septic tank people use a T handled sharp metal rod that they just start sticking in the ground in the likely spots. If you hit concrete, you have a septic tank and probably not hooked to the sewer system. This is more likely if your house is old enough to predate the installation of the sewer lines on our street. I'd ask for a refund from City for the sewer bills you have paid. Good luck on that one, but worst you will get is a NO. If you are handy at all, it is pretty easy to install a sewer line to street. Rent a 6" trencher and install 4" schedule 40 PVC drain pipe. City will have to install a tap to the sewer line. You can connect the PVC to a cast iron pipe with a rubber coupler available at Lowes or HD. If you hire this done, expect to pay over $1000

Old 10-08-2012, 04:40 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,152,045 times
Sounds like you need to call your realtor agent and he can help advise. You may need to call a professional cleaning company to help do the proper cleaning!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:59 PM

Well. As my second post said. The problem was off my property. Was determined ny the plumber my RE agent recommended when we bought the house.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,152,045 times
Did you get the clean up, done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House