Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 1,895 times

Advertisements

thank you for the response and input. no, I was thinking of one exposed wall furnace, vented, to provide some heat in the two rooms upstairs. not efficient for the other room.

the quote I got for the 100k furnace, a standard unit to sit in downstairs middle room corner, is to duct and have two vents going upstairs, one for each room (no door).

my concern is that downstairs will be cooking hot, while the two vents upstairs have no control other than open or close the vents themselves.

I have a quote for $6500 for either. same quote, two different systems.

the guy that proposed the central unit said the 6.5" or larger holes that would need to be put in the walls of the old home would reduce resale value, so to your point there.

just want the house to be as comfortable as possible. at this point I am leaning towards the 100k btu furnace put downstairs with the internal ducting.

jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 1,895 times
"Personally, I would go with a mini-split heat pump as my first choice" - what is a mini-split heat pump?
the weather in the central Kentucky these past few years has been pretty brutal as far as the winters go.
the reason I'm in this fix is that the gas company went in and red-tagged all my heaters. there were a couple open flame stoves, in kitchen and bath, and a floor furnace, rusted out and leaking fumes.

it's a rental. but the house I grew up in and want to keep it. who knows. might be back.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:19 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,641,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchdude View Post
"Personally, I would go with a mini-split heat pump as my first choice" - what is a mini-split heat pump?
I think "mini-split" is a brand name, it is also called an "air source heat pump", this is basically a small outdoor compressor which can move heat both directions -- works as AC in the summer, and provides heat in the winter, runs entirely on electricity, but operating cost is very low, lower than NG in most climates. When it's really cold out (think below 0F) you might need supplemental heat, but the modern units should keep up with even a poorly insulated house except on the very coldest days in Kentucky.

Some of the bigger units can use a single compressor to drive a "cartridge" in each of several rooms, with each room having it's own thermostat. No ductwork, just a few small holes (electric wiring and refrigerant lines). Heat pump total installation cost should be just a bit more than the quotes you have for gas heaters, unless of course you still need to install a wall furnace as backup heat for -1F nights when a heat pump might not be able to keep up with the heat loss due to poor insulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We went out to the county to see a charming little property with a house of 843 square feet, rather open and with a wall furnace (Cozy) and 2 window air conditioners. ... So, maybe many will step back in time to the older versions as we seem to go backwards because of the economy?
Actually, a lot of people are moving forward to air source heat pumps, especially for smaller houses. Keep the wall furnace to use when the temperature drops below zero and stays there, get rid of the window AC units.

Quote:
the weather in the central Kentucky these past few years has been pretty brutal as far as the winters go. the reason I'm in this fix is that the gas company went in and red-tagged all my heaters. there were a couple open flame stoves, in kitchen and bath, and a floor furnace, rusted out and leaking fumes.

it's a rental. but the house I grew up in and want to keep it. who knows. might be back.
Ouch.
I like the small direct vent wall furnaces, minimal holes to cut and local control of temperature.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 10-17-2015 at 04:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House