Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:45 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times

Advertisements

Been reading this thread since I have an Amana (Goodman) The receipts show the previous owners replaced a 12 year old SEER 12 Carrier, with a SEER 10 Goodman because of a bad bearing in the Carrier. (Makes me wonder if replacing the motor on the Carrier might have been a better choice at the time.)

The Goodman install was $1330 in 2004 which doesn't sound like much, based on what I've read and experienced with HVAC costs. The receipts have that "small local contractor" feel to them, so I don't have high expectations of the install.

I bought the house in 2008 and I think it was empty for most of 2007. So really, this unit was used for about three years, and I used it for two before it began leaking and having difficulty on hot days. I went through the summers of 2011 and 2012 only using fans.

Considering the cost of R-22 nowdays I may just replace the unit than bother trying to have the leaks brazed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 07:54 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
The Goodman install was $1330 in 2004..
Considering the cost of R-22 nowdays...
Noise aside... if it hasn't failed you then just ride it out.
Be ready to do the condensing unit though as you are on the downhill side for that
and if changing over to R410 to do the evap coil at the same time. Budget and save up.

The next question is the furnace... 'cause that is at least as due as the rest of the system.
Have fun.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,354 times
I just had a new Goodman AC installed at my apt and it is already leaking water on carpet inside ....
I noticed a sticker outside on unit stating DuPont ISCEON MO99 (R-438A) Is this the correct kind of charge? The maintenance told me they took the old freon out of old unit and had it transferred in my new unit to save cost. This had me thinking they don't have a clue what they are doing. Can this work doing it like that?

Old 06-22-2013, 11:31 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish* View Post
I just had a new Goodman AC installed at my apt and it is already leaking water on carpet inside ....
I noticed a sticker outside on unit stating DuPont ISCEON MO99 (R-438A) Is this the correct kind of charge? The maintenance told me they took the old freon out of old unit and had it transferred in my new unit to save cost. This had me thinking they don't have a clue what they are doing. Can this work doing it like that?

The answer to your question is- it will; for awhile.

438 is a non CFC replacement refrigerant for R22. But the two are NOT compatible! So, if they truly dumped the charge from the old system (which I'll assume is R22) into the new system (which is marked for R438), guess what happens when the next tech comes to service the unit and needs to add refrigerant?

Old 07-05-2013, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,275 times
Just wait until you have to deal with the warranty department of Goodman. They will do ANYTHING to get out of their obligation. Just went around with them for TWO month over $200. I finally told them to get lost. NEVER again a Goodman product for me.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:33 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I replaced a 1990's 10 SEER Goodman unit last year with a new 15 SEER Payne unit. The new air handler weighs about 3x as much as the old one, feels much more sturdy, and is quieter.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,168 times
Goodman products are just as good or better than any other manufacturer. if it's installed and maintained right goodman will serve you well. I see plenty of 25 plus year equipment still in service today and that's not a lie. Now I don't like their all aluminum new a coils, but I install new furnace condenser and a aspen brand coil and your in business.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:58 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Roberson View Post
Goodman products are just as good or better than any other manufacturer. if it's installed and maintained right goodman will serve you well. I see plenty of 25 plus year equipment still in service today and that's not a lie. Now I don't like their all aluminum new a coils, but I install new furnace condenser and a aspen brand coil and your in business.
The problem is Goodman's liberal sales policy where almost anyone can walk into one of their supply houses and buy one of their units, unlike other brands such as Carrier, Trane, or Lennox where their supply houses will only sell to licensed contractors. For this reason, Goodman tends to be a brand that is frequently installed by hacks.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,423 times
Default Top Advantages of Goodman Gas Furnace

I have order Goodman Gas Furnace before 3 years . It works properly without any problem. This Top Advantages of Goodman Gas Furnace was really good in feature and look wise also.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:43 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
This is a pretty old thread, but I'll bite. I've dealt with Goodman back when dad and I were building houses. I can't tell you how many people who bought into the Goodman hype and regretted it. Goodmans are low end builder grade units that usually work long enough to sell the house. Their warranty department might as well be non-existent because they will do anything they can to fight a warranty claim. If you find one that makes it 5 years with no issues you have been extremely lucky. They're cheap for a reason.

Personally every time we've gotten HVAC quotes (for our house) for new units I specifically state that we do not want to discuss Goodman. We try to stick with Carrier or Trane where we can.

Almost every HVAC parent company has their top tier, mid tier, and low tier line of products to reach a broad audience. These tiers are achieved by offering different components. The lower grades have the cheapest components of all. However, one thing to note is that most companies outsource their parts from the same manufacturers, so a lot of the components in a Trane for instance, are similar to components in a Carrier.

Daikin Group:
Daikin - Premium line
Amana - Mid-grade line
Franklin - Mid-grade line
Goodman - Low-grade line

Carrier:
Carrier- Premium line (Had two heat pump units for almost 20 years between them with 1 capacitor failure in total)
Bryant - Mid-grade line
Heil - Mid-grade and low-grade options (Was installed in my previous house when it was built. The unit lasted 6 years before sending the fan blade through the coils. We replaced with a Carrier)
Payne - Low-grade line

Rheem:
Rheem - Premium line (This was installed in our house when we bought it last year. It's already had two failures and is 2 years old.)
Ruud - Mid-grade line
Weatherking - Low-grade line

Nortek:
Maytag - Premium line
Westinghouse - Mid-grade line
Frigidaire - Mid-grade line
Nutone- Low-grade line

Ingersoll-Rand:
Trane - Premium line
American Standard - Mid-grade line

More importantly than the unit itself is the installation. While some units will wear out more quickly, a poor installation will ensure that components of any grade don't function properly and will lead to nothing but headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House