Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:30 PM

316 posts, read 660,622 times

Advertisements

Whats the scare with granite counter tops? I've seen homes with the entire living room done in granite. I think after getting a radon test done in the home inspection it will tell you if you have unsafe levels, since its everywhere.
How do you tell if its real granite or imitation, since they make imitation of just about everything out there now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 11:18 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Shhhhh. Do not adare say that here. You will be verbally assaulted and told you are a crazed germophobe!.

Also never say you would not like to sleep in a bed with dirty sheets form soemne else's use.
I am a crazed germophobe. We also ripped out asbestos tiles off of our beautiful maple floor in our kitchen without wearing masks. We didn't know they were asbestos so I asked a MD I work with if we had made a serious mistake and he told me not to worry about it. You have to have years of exposure to get sick. As far as sleeping in hotel rooms I often wonder if they do indeed change sheets between patrons:ee k:

Old 10-20-2012, 12:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I am a crazed germophobe. We also ripped out asbestos tiles off of our beautiful maple floor in our kitchen without wearing masks. We didn't know they were asbestos so I asked a MD I work with if we had made a serious mistake and he told me not to worry about it. You have to have years of exposure to get sick. As far as sleeping in hotel rooms I often wonder if they do indeed change sheets between patrons:ee k:
Well, we'll hope you have no young children at home.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:28 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I'm also one of those "germophobes". Carpeting is much more difficult to clean than hard wood or even tile. And when you throw in some pets, one hack of a furball, carpet is a mess. Hardwood is easier even if it requires constant sweeping. I'd rather do that.

As for hotels, they do change the sheets...but, as one who did work in a higher end hotel many moons ago, I will tell you, as I've said on these forums before, the minute you walk in to your room, request a new blanket and bedspread. They do NOT always change those. They will change them if there is a big mess on them or if it's been awhile but no, they don't always change the blanket and bedspread between guests.

Call. The one they bring to you will be laundered.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:05 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranosb View Post
Whats the scare with granite counter tops? I've seen homes with the entire living room done in granite. I think after getting a radon test done in the home inspection it will tell you if you have unsafe levels, since its everywhere.
How do you tell if its real granite or imitation, since they make imitation of just about everything out there now.
The big scare is the cost to tear them out and replace them with something appropriate for a historic house (or at least something that does not make your cool charming historic house look the same insade as every mass produced subdivision house in the country).

The "radon comes from granite" scare makes me laugh. What is even funnier is many times the same people will get in their car and drive on the freeway while texting. And they are worried about dying becasue of radon from granite counter tops?

Old 10-20-2012, 04:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm also one of those "germophobes". Carpeting is much more difficult to clean than hard wood or even tile. And when you throw in some pets, one hack of a furball, carpet is a mess. Hardwood is easier even if it requires constant sweeping. I'd rather do that.

As for hotels, they do change the sheets...but, as one who did work in a higher end hotel many moons ago, I will tell you, as I've said on these forums before, the minute you walk in to your room, request a new blanket and bedspread. They do NOT always change those. They will change them if there is a big mess on them or if it's been awhile but no, they don't always change the blanket and bedspread between guests.

Call. The one they bring to you will be laundered.
Thanks for the heads up. I often wondered about that. Sometimes the bedspreads are obviously sticky or stained. I just toss them on the floor anyway. Usually the room is warm enough you do not need a bedspread or blanket. Often they have an extra blanket inteh closet. Are those usually cleaned, or do they just fold and toss them back into the closet?

Old 10-20-2012, 05:26 PM

208 posts, read 318,201 times
Carpet is nice is certain areas - like a master closet where you change clothes and live where it's cold in winter. Our home had carpet and linolium when we purchased it(built in 1999), but we have replaced all but one room with tile and hardwood. Hardwood floors can actually be cheaper than carpet if you can install yourself. We did put an area rug in our family room because my boys like to lay on the floor a lot and it's more comfortable, but at least it can be thrown out in a few years when it's "grody."

Old 10-20-2012, 05:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I just toss them on the floor anyway.
That's what I do. I won't go near a hotel bed with the spread still on it. Won't even sit on it!

Old 10-20-2012, 06:45 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
I actually worked at a motel many years ago when I was in college. Cleaning motel rooms was quite an eye opening experience. I lasted 6 months. Most people are pretty respectful but the ones that are not, wow....they sure do leave an impression. I worked for a very popular motel chain that is still in business today. The general business practices of motels and hotels are generally the same and boy they are scary. All these years later, I still cant relax in a hotel room. I have to force myself not to think about it.

It is true bedding is only washed several times a year. Sometimes less than that. if it doesnt stink or have visible stains, they may only get washed once a year. You have to remember the people that clean rooms don't make crap. Hauling heavy bedding down to the basement or the other side of the property is a hassle. Figure, they get maybe 15 rooms (on a good day), most have 2 beds each so that is 30 very heavy comforters to lug. You can imagine if someone can dodge this duty, they will. Some places pay maids by the room and not per hour and they only have a specific time frame to clean all the rooms. Check out is 11 in most places and some people feel the need to push the limit till 1 or 2. Then management is all over the maid to get the room done. I think the mattress pads under the sheets are probably the nastiest. Those get washed less than the comforters. Pillows? *shudder* I worked with one girl that if the sheets looked clean, she didnt change them at all. She fluffed out the wrinkles and made the bed.

The carpet is horrible. Feces, blood, urine, vomit and so on. Some places will simply dye the carpet to cover the stains. You wont really notice because you cant compare how it looks to the other rooms. Most of the beds are on plywood boxes. Lift up the bedding and take a peek if you dare. Might find some pop cans, socks condoms, underwear or whatever else that made its way underneath there that the maid missed. Honestly, the carpet scares me the least. I will have shoes on, the other stuff is far more scary to me.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:31 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Fallingwater and Three Wolves. EWWWWWWWWWWW. It makes me never want to travel again. Maybe we should bring our own bedding and a huge piece of plastic to put over the bed. I will ask for all new bedding if I can bring myself to go to another hotel again. That's horrible not changing the sheets between patrons. Beyond nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House