Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2012, 07:33 AM

475 posts, read 1,370,530 times

Advertisements

When I moved in 4 years ago, I undid the sapling straps on the two maples up front in the smallish yard. I did not mulch them, just let them go and they have gone a bit crazy. They have gone up to 20-25 feet easily and one has a thickish trunk now. But the one tree has exposed roots growing at the house due to I assume it likes the run off from the rain which is over there. It has two roots with 4 foot exposure from soil and then one goes under the sidewalk. There is a slight incline away from the house so I'm sure some soil has eroded.

So my questions are: can mulching now help to get this under control? I've read up on this but was putting it off because I was concerned about edging on the roots which wouldn't look good. The canopy from both these trees is almost that whole section of yard so is mulching under the drip line ok?
Also since the trees are close together, would mulching them together make more sense? About 6 feet apart there wouldn't be much grass in between them. Anyway, any ideas appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 10:06 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Remove them. Maples are inappropriate for a small yard. They will just get bigger and cause increasing problems. Once they get much bigger, the cost of removal will be astronomical.

Mulching heavily around the base of a tree can cut off airflow to the roots and promote termite infestations.

There are plenty of dwarf stock trees that are much more appropriate.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I'd remove one maple, not both. They're fighting for water and such. By removing one, the other can flourish without being intrusive.

Higher an arborist to prune the tree. The roots will stay at bay if the crown is heavily pruned. It slows root growth. Only an expert should do this because it's important it be done properly.

Don't mulch. Mulch is evil. It's full of bacteria and bugs.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:43 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Unfortunately for you, maples are just one of those trees with really shallow roots. Too bad they are so beautiful! Yes, it does seem that taking out the tree closest to the house is a good idea.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:50 PM

I just noticed I typed "higher" instead of "hire."

Old 10-21-2012, 08:03 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
You may have liquid amber not maple. Or possibly crummy maples like silvers.

Good maples do not "go crazy" they grow slowly and their roots are usually deep (depends on soils).

Old 10-22-2012, 11:07 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Good maples do not "go crazy" they grow slowly and their roots are usually deep (depends on soils).
This has not been my experience at all - the maples I have had in my yard are all have many roots near the surface (and I was aware of this when planting). In the right area, it's not a problem.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:51 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Not in my area!
Yes, they grow slower than some other types of trees, but the roots do NOT go deep.... LOTS on the surface.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
Maples naturally have roots close to the surface as far as I know. All the different kinds I've had or seen do.

That said, some varieties are messier than others for landscaping. Silver maples, for example, just keep on growing and spreading. Planting these purposely in a yard really shouldn't happen, but they are cheap and fast so it does still happen.

If you're willing to take a chance you could actually cut some roots and see what happens. Depending upon other conditions a strong tree will survive that.

Two large trees so close together really isn't sustainable for the long run, I suspect. If you want to keep one I agree with Hopes, have one removed and the other pruned professionally. If roots are still an issue seek the arborist's opinion on that (hire an arborist who knows something about tree care, not just a plain tree removal service). If you keep both it's just going to be a bigger problem in the future.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Not in my area!
Yes, they grow slower than some other types of trees, but the roots do NOT go deep.... LOTS on the surface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Maples naturally have roots close to the surface as far as I know. All the different kinds I've had or seen do.
They're more likely to have roots even closer to the surface in areas that don't get much rain.

We live in Pittsburgh, which gets much more rain than CHTransplant and love4hours get in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House