Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2012, 04:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,963,134 times

Advertisements

I learned and proved by using them that Behr paint was no where near the quality of professional painter brands like benjamin Moore and Dunn Edwards. I never understood why Behr was top rated, except that it was pretty good quality for cheap paint $20/gallon vs. $60/gallon (but why use cheap paint?). After several painters refused to use it and insisted that I buy Benjamin Moore, I tried using some of both and discovered a huge difference both in how well it goes on and how long it lasts. However I am informed that the new Behr paint is very much improved. Are their any painters (professional or not) who have compared the new Behr to one of the traditional better paints?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 06:58 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,170,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I learned and proved by using them that Behr paint was no where near the quality of professional painter brands like benjamin Moore and Dunn Edwards. I never understood why Behr was top rated, except that it was pretty good quality for cheap paint $20/gallon vs. $60/gallon (but why use cheap paint?). After several painters refused to use it and insisted that I buy Benjamin Moore, I tried using some of both and discovered a huge difference both in how well it goes on and how long it lasts. However I am informed that the new Behr paint is very much improved. Are their any painters (professional or not) who have compared the new Behr to one of the traditional better paints?
Yep. Behr is still crap. Let tell you about my experience a month ago. I always use Benjamin Moore. Even said on here I wont use anything else. Soo..we were replacing the carpet on our stairs with hardwood about a month ago. Figured we should paint at the same time. I got lazy. I was tired, work has been a hassle and I needed to pick up a few things from the Depot. I thought heck, its only the landing. I can get away with some Behr paint. I simply didnt want to drive across town and get my tried and true Ben. I talked to the guy at Home Depot and his exact words, "Trust me, you will never buy Benjamin Moore again after using this stuff." Hmm...quite a claim. So I picked out an off white and was on my way. Spent the day being a gymnast painting the stairwell. The paint wasn't going on well. I started to get that sinking feeling I made a huge mistake but I told myself it would be okay. Its the stairs, not a huge deal it will be okay. I got done and knew it wasnt going to turn out well. I told myself to give it a few hours. The whole denial thing. Maybe it just needed to dry. My husband comes home who is color blind by the way and his first remark was "why does it look blue? did you pick blue?" No. No, I did not. Every damn time I buy Behr paint, the color is NEVER what I picked out. NEVER. It also looked chalky uneven and just over all crap! I was so upset. I was tired and my husband told me to go get some Ben. Moore and he would repaint the stairs for me. Right away the paint covered in one coat and was the exact color I picked.

If I see that guy at Home Depot again, I will have to educate him. Behr paint was crap before and still is.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:44 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,592,252 times
I will agree that Behr is crap. But I've also used B.M. to repaint several rooms and felt the quality was comparable to Valspar. I definitely felt B.M. wasn't worth the added cost. I've been using Valspar ever since. The color B.M. may last longer than Valspar that I don't know. But to me it's still not worth the cost.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:59 PM

9,366 posts, read 14,172,228 times
I have painted several rooms in my house with Behr Ultra and just love it. I like the viscosity, viscoelasticity, coverage. I have used Behr, SW, FH, Valspar paints, and I like Behr Ultra the best. But to each his own, and I am only a DIY amature. I have used eggshell and semigloss finishes only, but don't know if that matters.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:05 PM

45,558 posts, read 60,822,331 times
Same as above. I've also used Behr on the exterior and I get 8-10 years out of it before repainting. It's exposed to salt spray and blown sand from the beach. I'm also a bear for surface prep.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,963,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I will agree that Behr is crap. But I've also used B.M. to repaint several rooms and felt the quality was comparable to Valspar. I definitely felt B.M. wasn't worth the added cost. I've been using Valspar ever since. The color B.M. may last longer than Valspar that I don't know. But to me it's still not worth the cost.
I had more trouble with Valspar than I did with Behr. Between the two, I would choose Behr. But neither one compared to BM or Dunn Edwards, or the top of the line Sherwin Williams. I guess I will go get some of the new Behr and use it to comare. I still have some BM paint around (actually about 15 gallons or part gallons in various colors).

Old 10-22-2012, 07:14 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,139,391 times
I have never used Ben More. I have used Valspar, Behr, Olympic and Glidden. Without a doubt I prefer Behr Ultra over all of them. I use brush and rollers when I paint. I mostly use the Flat Enamel, but have used Simiglass for trim and doors. I always add FloTrol to my glossier finished paints to prevent brush and roller marks. Stuff works great.

I have only performed interior painting with this paint though. Also have use all sorts of colors from White, Taupe, Dark Teal, Bright Orange, Purple, Yellow, etc.

Maybe I'm just a fool, but I always put up two coats of paint anyways. I have kids and they're tough on stuff. The Flat Enamel is great because you can clean it like a semi-gloss or Eggshell.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:30 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,730,926 times
Don't waste your money on the Behr with the primer built in, it covers no better than the regular Behr paint, but costs about 25% more.

I painted my gable ends and overhangs with Behr about 6 months ago, it remains to be seen how well it holds up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House