Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 05:33 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,210,897 times

Advertisements

We bought a house and didn't move into it right away. So, we found battery operated motion detector lights. They aren't very bright, and I think have an LED light. Anyway, we put them around the yard, on trees etc., FACING the house. So the light goes on when anyone approaches the house, but does not aim anywhere but directly at our house.
It's not a terribly bright light, but in a dark yard, definitely lights up what moves.
And, when we would arrive after dark, always had light.
Now that we live here, we've left them up. The batteries last a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
We bought a house and didn't move into it right away. So, we found battery operated motion detector lights. They aren't very bright, and I think have an LED light. Anyway, we put them around the yard, on trees etc., FACING the house. So the light goes on when anyone approaches the house, but does not aim anywhere but directly at our house.
It's not a terribly bright light, but in a dark yard, definitely lights up what moves.
And, when we would arrive after dark, always had light.
Now that we live here, we've left them up. The batteries last a long time.
Kady, do you have a link to the brand you bought?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Update: It would cost around $150 for a new light fixture and the electrician. And this is AFTER I already paid the electrician to fix the existing fixture (see original post) -- before I realized the lady next-door sleeps in the back room where the lights bother her. Anyway, $150 may not sound like a lot to you, but as I stated, times are tough right now. I don't have a neighbor who will risk his life on the roof or an extension ladder for a pizza and case of beer. Nor would I want that type of job done by an unlicensed, uninsured person.

I feel like I have been as considerate as possible, after I learned of her issue, and have taken as many steps as I can to minimize the amount of light, while still considering my own security and feeling of safety. The original post was not a question of HOW I could provide security without annoying her, and it actually WAS an either/or question, based on the existing situation and without having to invest more money than I already have.

By the way, I have two dogs, thank you. I suppose they would bark if someone was breaking in here, but they slept through the neighbor's break-in. And they don't help light up the driveway when it's dark out there.

I would, however, be interested in the lights that Kady mentioned above.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
The original post was not a question of HOW I could provide security without annoying her, and it actually WAS an either/or question, based on the existing situation and without having to invest more money than I already have.
Interesting. In that case, I vote for consideration of the neighbor. Carry a $5 flashlight in your purse so you can walk from your car to your house without tripping.

We offered you low cost solutions, like installing a shield on the light to further ensure the light is shining downward, changing the lightbulb to a different color, changing the lightbulb to lower watts. You just keep coming up with a million brick walls to hinder that.

Why did you install a light that you can't reach, that you'd need to pay someone who is insured to change a lightbulb? The good thing about that is eventually your lightbulb will burn out and your neighbor will sleep better.

But there is a cheap solution. You can buy a long pole specifically designed for changing lighbulbs in high places. No ladder needed. No licensed contractor needed. Just you, the long pole, and a lightbulb. https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbm=sh...w=1366&bih=683 It's a good investment because you're going to need it eventually anyway.

I suspect you'll find a reason to not buy a lightbulb changing pole. Throughout your posts it seemed like you merely looking for validation that it's okay to annoy your neighbor. This last post solidifies that for me.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:53 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
We have motion detector lights that go on for 5 minutes and then go off. They light up the backyard and when I see they're on I look out the window. The last time I saw a big fox which is a neighborhood nuisance although he is cool to look at. Anything as large as a small dog will trigger them. You should be able to adjust the timer, right?

Old 10-26-2012, 08:31 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Interesting. In that case, I vote for consideration of the neighbor. Carry a $5 flashlight in your purse so you can walk from your car to your house without tripping.

We offered you low cost solutions, like installing a shield on the light to further ensure the light is shining downward, changing the lightbulb to a different color, changing the lightbulb to lower watts. You just keep coming up with a million brick walls to hinder that.

Why did you install a light that you can't reach, that you'd need to pay someone who is insured to change a lightbulb? The good thing about that is eventually your lightbulb will burn out and your neighbor will sleep better.

But there is a cheap solution. You can buy a long pole specifically designed for changing lighbulbs in high places. No ladder needed. No licensed contractor needed. Just you, the long pole, and a lightbulb. https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbm=sh...w=1366&bih=683 It's a good investment because you're going to need it eventually anyway.

I suspect you'll find a reason to not buy a lightbulb changing pole. Throughout your posts it seemed like you merely looking for validation that it's okay to annoy your neighbor. This last post solidifies that for me.
This. As I said, it's NOT an either/or situation for any reasonable person, there are many reasonably priced solutions, but you seem determined to make it one.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:54 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
So your neighbor should have to move her entire bedroom, i.e., change her living arrangements because you insist on keeping a light that keeps her awake at night? You seem really bothered by the fact that she doesn't sleep in the master bedroom. Would your opinion change if she did, yet had a family member living there who slept in the room in question instead?

I would have a problem with anything a neighbor does that keeps me awake at night, and refuses to do anything to resolve it. You can argue that you have a right to feel secure (whether or not the light actually does provide security). However, your neighbor has an equal right to be able to sleep at night. I actually find it rather telling that you state you're not looking for ways to provide security without keeping her awake.

Team Neighbor here.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:31 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Throughout your posts it seemed like you merely looking for validation that it's okay to annoy your neighbor. This last post solidifies that for me.
Yep, it's looking that way. It is NOT ok to be inconsiderate just because you are broke. If you didn't budget for things like this then that should not be your neighbors problem. Leave the light off.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:41 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:

Did you actually read my original post or are you just here to attack me?

Did you read this part?
Quote:
I bought a small 1960 rancher two years ago. It had double motion-detector lights installed at both back corners of the eaves, but they were not working when I moved in. I had an electrician come out, and he had to replace the north side fixture, but just put new bulbs in the south.
The lights WERE ALREADY THERE WHEN I BOUGHT THE HOUSE. I did not select the location.

Did you read this part?
Quote:
So now, on the south side, I have a 45W spot pointed downward toward the back door, and a 60W flood pointed downward toward the driveway and basement windows on the side of the house. (I tried to get a spot so the light would be more contained, but they're hard to find in higher wattages.)
I changed the bulbs. Myself. I have a ladder. I didn't say I need an electrician to change a bulb. I said I need an electrician to CHANGE THE FIXTURE. The light is in a hard-to-reach position, while you're at the top of an extension ladder in a precarious position. No neighbor would be volunteering to do that job.

So while I appreciate comments, maybe you should read the post first before going off on critiques about where "I" installed the fixture and telling me to get a lightbulb pole.

Yes, I could look for a shield (I thought a "spot" served that same purpose) or a different-colored bulb and do that myself, and I may.

And yes, I am annoyed about the whole thing. I was merely using the previous owner's light fixture. I knew the neighbor lived alone, and if she had family who used that back bedroom, I would have thought twice about doing it. Yes, I made an assumption that she used the master. By the way, her daughter lives behind her and keeps two big floodlights on the back of her house ever since the break-in, but I guess that's OK because it's further away. Anyway, nevermind, I get your point. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:20 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,210,897 times
Suzy....I don't remember the website, but you can Google "battery operated motion detector security lights".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House