Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 05:35 PM

116 posts, read 256,700 times

Advertisements

One weird thing we found in our future home is that the builder puts water heater in attic. Would it be more convenient for maintainance if it is in garage? We have a choice to pay extra 1000$ to bring it down to a corner of our 3 car garage. But we are debating on whether it worths the money to do so. We don't really need 3 car garage. One of the garage can be transferred to a bedroom although we don't have the plan to convert it. (our house is 3100 sq feet with 4 bed + an office that will be converted to a guest suite). Our concern is, if we leave the water heater in attic, then it would be a big trouble when fixing and maintianing. If we move it to garage, then the future buyer (we may sale the house after 5-7 years) won't have the choice to convert that garage to a bedroom if they want, and plus we need to pay extra 1000 to bring it down. By the way, does ppl who buy 4 bedroom house usually need 3 garage?

So in short, do you care if the water heater is on the attic when you buy a house? Do you think it is worthful to pay the money to move it down?

Any suggestion or comments are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 05:45 PM

37 posts, read 161,474 times
mine is in my attic..so far no issues..i look at it like this...it is sitting in a pan with a drainage pipe if it leaks, and gravity sends the water down vs having to pump it to the bathrooms, showers, kitchends, etc...

Old 10-10-2007, 06:56 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,072,004 times
Our water heater is in the attic. We have a brand new house and the water heater has leaked & already been replaced. The house is less than a year old! It didn't flood. It just leaked. Luckily I go up to the attic pretty frequently and am always checking it out. I personally would leave it alone. I'd just make a habit of going up there once a week to keep an eye on the pan.

Your other question about do people who buy a 4 bedroom house really want a 3 car garage? YES!!!!!! You better believe it! I wish I had a 3 car. We have a 2 car now and can only fit 1 car in. With dh's motorcycle, the bikes, the kid toys, & lawn mower there is absolutely no room for a 2nd car. So having a 3 car would be ideal for us.

I would much rather have a 3 car garage than a 5th bedroom if I had to choose.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:58 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,376,899 times
I think I would like a 3-car garage too to make up for the fact that the houses don't have basements.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:02 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,101,356 times
Very ignorant way to build.

Can cause a real disaster if pan overflows or pipe leaks missing pan.

Beyond belief that anyone would put heater in attic. Not worth the risk to save a few square feet of space.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:51 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,659,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Very ignorant way to build.

Can cause a real disaster if pan overflows or pipe leaks missing pan.

Beyond belief that anyone would put heater in attic. Not worth the risk to save a few square feet of space.
Has anyone with an attic water heater ever had the water heater burst? That 50 gallon is going to fill the pan and then some.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:55 PM
rfb

2,593 posts, read 6,330,726 times
It seems common to have the water heater in the attic. With a pan underneath with a drain pipe, it is fine short of a catastrophic failure. I've had two homes with the water heater in the attic with no problem. I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:59 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,659,137 times
I'm just curious how many people have had the water heater burst and leak out all 50 gallons, and whether the pan and drain were sufficient for the flow?

Old 10-10-2007, 08:02 PM

116 posts, read 256,700 times
thanks for all the reply. Also for annually maintaince, do you need to flush the water heater? How can that be done if it is at the attic?

Old 10-10-2007, 08:04 PM

836 posts, read 3,462,259 times
I have had a water heater burst (it was in closet next to laundry room). It made a huge mess that required an insurance claim. My understanding was that it blew all the water and then kept refilling, so I am not sure a pan would have helped (we weren't home). Maybe if the drain is a largish one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House