Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 07:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
more important though is back feeding a generator is not legal as well as dangerous.
If you have interlock?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 07:18 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
i the case of electrical work though the homeowner is held accountable if someone is injured and unlicensed work was done.
B.S. The electrical code ALLOWS homeowners to do there own electrical work. So long as it's done by electrical code and is inspected by an electrical inspector, you DO NOT need a licensed electrician to perform the work. Even if no permit was filed and it wasn't inspected, so long as the work is done to code, I highly doubt a homeowner would be found at fault. Now if a investigation finds the electrical work is NOT done to code, then that's a different issue.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:20 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
you didnt read what i wrote..

i said if the homeowner does the work and someone is injured because he screwed up he is culpable. there is nothing to argue. who else gets sued if your the only party?

many states even allow a homeowner to do electrical work on his own home but not someone elses.

if a licensed electrician does the work he has be insured in order to perform that work for a customer . either his own or the company he works for.

if a licensed electrician performs the work the home owner isnt held negligent if something about the work hurts or kills someone since they didnt do it the electrician did . again nothing to dispute ,thats how it works.

if the electrician is unlicensed good chance you both will be sued and there is no guarantee the unlicensed guy is working under an insurance policy .

its important for the homeowner as well not to appear to have any links as a gc either:

Homeowners also increase their risk of exposure to being culpable in any construction project if :

- the homeowner takes out the building permit for the work to be done (never do this!),

- the homeowner pays the contractor by the hour,

- the homeowner supplies or loans the tools and materials to get the job done,

- or the homeowner gives directions on how to perform the job.

so calm down and re-read it. im the one arguing that no one will void your home insurance claim if you did get sued and you did the work yourself.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-05-2012 at 02:47 AM..

Old 11-06-2012, 03:39 AM

being a ham radio operator we have field day every year and operate in the field with generators.

i thought it would be a good idea to use gfci' extension cords off the generators.

well with the gnds and neutrals bonded at the generator all the cords were popping the gfci's .

im not sure exactly why but im thinking the loop between the different size and resistance neutral and ground paths were setting up ground loops that were tripping them.

since gfci work just fine without even having a ground you wouldnt think it would matter but there is no other explanation i can think of..

if we had a ground rod i would have tried an isolated ground on the generator side.

we ended up just pulling the cords off and didnt use them.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
B.S. The electrical code ALLOWS homeowners to do there own electrical work. So long as it's done by electrical code and is inspected by an electrical inspector, you DO NOT need a licensed electrician to perform the work. Even if no permit was filed and it wasn't inspected, so long as the work is done to code, I highly doubt a homeowner would be found at fault. Now if a investigation finds the electrical work is NOT done to code, then that's a different issue.
Depends on entirely where you live, and the state electrical codes. As a former resident of MA, all my work had to be overseen by a master electrician, followed by the town electrical inspector. Permits were required by law. It wasn't negotiable. (I hated date codes on the wire, as that was sort of a clue as to when the work was done). Plumbing was the same way. Saw a master plumber almost get into a cat-fight with the inspector as to the interpretation of the (vague) codes.
But given that this is C-D, I expect lots of mis-information.
This is coming from a guy that has dogs named 'Delta' and 'Wye'... get it?

Old 11-06-2012, 06:57 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
being a ham radio operator we have field day every year and operate in the field with generators.

i thought it would be a good idea to use gfci' extension cords off the generators.

well with the gnds and neutrals bonded at the generator all the cords were popping the gfci's .

im not sure exactly why but im thinking the loop between the different size and resistance neutral and ground paths were setting up ground loops that were tripping them.

since gfci work just fine without even having a ground you wouldnt think it would matter but there is no other explanation i can think of..

if we had a ground rod i would have tried an isolated ground on the generator side.

we ended up just pulling the cords off and didnt use them.
Ahhhh!!!! Ground loops.... an electrical engineer's worst friend
Makes me want to run and hide.... Especially with extremely low-noise amplifiers.
We ran generators (for field day) that were isolated (medical grade isolation transformers), so that there was no ground reference needed. Provided way more protection to the operators than a gfci... can't get shocked (to ground), as there is no reference to ground. (It helps if you worked for a medical device manufacturer, and they are throwing the xformers out )

Old 11-06-2012, 03:45 PM

hey real men take our chances out in the field. we dont need no stinkin isolation transformers.

im still curious though as to why the gfci's tripped. i even called levitons techs as im a techie myself and they were unsure too.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:07 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
being in the business we sell 10/4 rubber cord or 8/4 depending on the length of the run for the main run.

most generators have a Ll14-30p plug which is 30 amp rated. WE SOLD A WHOPPING 300 PLUGS OUT IN 4 DAYS. we could have sold everyone we got in addition.

we sell about 5,000 ft of 8/4 a year , we sold 15,000 ft in 4 days.
Just going to mention and have a 150' of 8/4 in the shop... needed it for a job and keep it around just in case.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:40 AM

as an electrical wholesaler in long island we sold 12,000 ft of 8/4so and 800 l14-30p plugs in one week. we couldnt get them fast enough it was incredible.

im so buried with work since my end of the business is designing custom motor controls and having our panel shop build them.

seems everything we ever built for lower manhattan is gone and has to be re-bought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House