Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2016, 01:25 PM

22,249 posts, read 47,165,320 times

Advertisements

What to do?
Read the thread.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,709 times
I had the similar issue that I saw the separation b/w molding and ceiling in a couple of places. it is a new construction house with construction done two months ago. I am wondering if the separation is caused by house settling down or it is a indicator of foundation issue. can someone comment on this?

Old 12-17-2016, 09:36 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,544,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongpan View Post
I had the similar issue that I saw the separation b/w molding and ceiling in a couple of places. it is a new construction house with construction done two months ago. I am wondering if the separation is caused by house settling down or it is a indicator of foundation issue. can someone comment on this?
I guess you didn't read the other posts either!?

Old 12-19-2016, 05:05 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,539,418 times
I had to re-read the thread to see where I left off, since it has been revived and it is indeed the season of truss uplift...

I've had two engineers look at my house (two, because of foundation cracks and someone telling me my first engineer was bad). No foundation issues.

Someone told me that there is a way to fix this that involves installing deadwood in key places, and removing nails in key places - I haven't had this done because I can't seem to find someone who really knows about this problem enough to fix it. I stopped looking and just live with it. It looks awful now and fantastic in the summer.

I thought of removing the molding from the wall and attaching to the ceiling, but the problem is that it doesn't separate everywhere, so I'd have unevenly crooked molding part of the year. No good.

One easy thing to do is buy Big Stretch caulk and put it at the top of the molding. It works but is imperfect.

Here's some info on truss uplift that I found:

https://www.donan.com/knowledge-base...ft-discussion/

Old 12-21-2016, 08:48 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,593,168 times
I wouldn't be too concerned about it myself. I'm going through the same issues right now in my kitchen. Come spring, the gaps will disappear again.

We also have issues in the winter with a couple of doors not closing correctly. They tend to hang at the top corner during the winter, but in the spring and summer they don't give any problems. Things move.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:39 PM

9,122 posts, read 14,664,501 times
Yeah that's classic truss uplift probably coupled with the crown not being nailed to the structural members. Either missed or nails too short.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,324 times
I been doing interior trim for long time and I always cough some of my guys that are to lazy to find the wood before nail the crown ,
And that's the issue you have at this moment I think,
They just put a few nails on the crown but to the drywall only,
If that's the problem you good then, all you have to do find someone qualified to do the job re-nail the crown.
Note : install a temporary humidifier to see if you have moisture in your house..

Old 12-17-2017, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,051 times
Just curious- did your house ever have any more changes? Our house is 20 years old and ceiling/molding is starting to look like the pictures you posted. Concerns me. Live in Arkansas. Has just gotten cold and we did have our heat turned down often so cool inside house.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:19 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,593,168 times
Nothing much to be concerned about.....

Materials shrink in cold weather, so any gap between the crown and ceiling/wall will magnify. Most use caulking to "hide" the gaps, but eventually it gives way and the gaps open back up again.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:48 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,539,418 times
I barely even notice it anymore, now that I know it's not structural damage. It looks bad in winter, but the Big Stretch caulk is helpful (I didn't redo it this year and yup, there are gaps).

Everything comes back together in March...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House