U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:13 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,933,195 times

Advertisements

The op has a delicate butt.

I've never sat on a porcelain toilet seat , well. I have if the seat wasn't down...

Those padded toilet seats are down right nasty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 10:29 AM

5,538 posts, read 22,620,724 times
More than once I have moved into a place and thrown away wood, padded, and thin plastic seats to install high quality heavy plastic seats. Durable, easy to keep clean, and comfortable.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:45 PM

6,178 posts, read 9,240,004 times
FYI, the toilet seats that our builder (Fulton Homes) installed are strong plastic. However, we already had a fill valve fail in one of our toilets in less than a year; it was a cheap WDI fill valve from China. I replaced it with a Korky QuietFill Max Performance.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:30 PM

498 posts, read 618,118 times
Default I can relate

I live in a 30-something-year-old lower-income place for those over 62. The toilet seat cover will not support me and buckles or rides to the side if I try to sit on it to slip my bedroom shoes off before getting in the shower. The seat itself doesn't actually fit the bowl. I'm really afraid to put my entire weight down--and I'm not that heavy! There are people much, much bigger than I am who live here and I wonder how they manage! I understand the OP's dilemma. The whole thing is the thinnest, flimsiest plastic.

I've already changed out the shower head in this bathroom and now am considering getting a new toilet seat assembly. Will I be able to replace it with basic tools (screwdriver and/or wrench)?

Old 11-09-2012, 06:16 PM

19,708 posts, read 59,615,576 times
Seats are usually attached with thumbscrew nuts. A pair of pliers helps if stuck, but normally no tools are needed. Standing on a toilet isn't a great idea even though 99.9% of the time we get away with it. It is just kiln fired clay after all.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,027 times
Plastic toilet seats are more durable and easy to use than wood and metal toilet seats.Durability matters more or we mean that quality matters more than quantity.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:54 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,050,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Seats are usually attached with thumbscrew nuts. A pair of pliers helps if stuck, but normally no tools are needed. Standing on a toilet isn't a great idea even though 99.9% of the time we get away with it. It is just kiln fired clay after all.
True, but the main issue is normally getting the old toilet seat off. That can be a messy and disgusting affair, as the bolts may have rusted on (older ones used metal fittings) and there can be a lot of 'build up' under the bolts and under the straight piece at the back of the seat. My wife (rightly IMHO) insists of a complete change of all 'throne seats' in any house we buy, with a very thorough cleaning before a new one is installed.

She is also partial to the soft close solidly made platic seats, very useful when you have young kids and very easy to keep clean....

Old 07-15-2014, 11:18 PM

41,375 posts, read 52,679,949 times
WD-40 or Liquid Wrench would loosen any old rusted seat bolts. As far as a mess over the years, I don't think so unless people are lifting the bolt covers and doing their duty on top of them.
New plastic seats are easiest to clean and they don't scratch like wood ones do. The last porcelain seat I saw was in a museum in China and it was from the Ming Dynasty in the 1600's.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:28 AM

125 posts, read 135,582 times
Thin plastic "cheesy" toilet seat works perfect in my kids bathroom, especially with younger kids if they drop it they won't be breaking any fingers. Supports them just fine, fits fine and is very easy to wipe down. Came with a cheaper Kohler I installed, nothing wrong with it.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:38 AM

581 posts, read 1,208,772 times
I just replaced our two toilet seats with wooden seats and steel hinges. No one in our family is fat by any means but we seemed to have problems with the cheap plastic hinges snapping. Last one the hinge stayed tight in the toilet "never loosens!" But it snapped where it connected to the hinge.

Nothing more frightening as a man to be sitting with your bits n pieces hanging low, and the seat slips rapidly to the side... :-)

So anyway... It's not that I wanted a wood toilet seat, I just wanted to get the strongest seat hinges I could find. Darn seats are gonna last a lifetime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House