Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:12 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As noted the lower asthma rates in people using coal or wood may be related to their lifestyle. There could be many other explanations. For example a coal or wood stove a lot of times are installed in basements keeping the humidity down, there also use a lot of air for combustion so you have a lot of fresh air coming into the house. As far as coal goes I don't have asthma but from the information I have gathered from people that do their affliction has remained the same or improved after switching to coal.

My personal opinion on the increased asthma rates is that it's caused by three factors. More energy efficient buildings that trap indoor air pollution, increased used of ducted heating and kids spending so much more time indoors.
Agree with you, and will add the following: there are all kinds of air pollutants inside the average home, specially a modern air-tight one that does not have an air exchanger. A lot of people don't realize that the chemicals we use at home for cleaning, air deodorizers, and so on emit fumes we in turn breath. Then a lot of homes where the interior humidity is not properly balanced allow for the growth of mildew. To make matters worst, sometimes mold is not visible. The big city's inner city areas are notorious for a high incidence of asthma, and most of the pollution is inside the homes or apartments as well as air pollution from engines (all kinds), power plants, boilers, and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This fireplace had a closed front. Furthermore, I said I have the same problems when visiting my sister's house and she has a wood burning stove. They're not airtight when you open them to add more wood. The problem is the particles that get into the air. Even a small amount of particles can have serious consequences.

Wood pellet stoves also have health dangers.

If anyone still wants to have one of these stoves or fireplaces, the last article lists which ones meet Washington state specifications for less health risks. That could be used as a guide for making a purchase in any state.

I wouldn't do it though, not after what I experienced and learned. My sister's smallest child has severe asthma and breathing problems in the winter months. They have to give him breathing treatments at home. I'm going to let her know what I learned so she can spare that poor child further misery.
It's not the same thing, Hopes. An air-tight stove has seals around the front or side doors, and combustion air comes from outside the house much like a direct-vent natural gas stove. Once a draft is established and you open the door to add more firewood, if done properly you don't get a back draft.

While all kinds of smoke (from any source) aggravates an asthma condition, the condition itself does not have to be caused by wood smoke alone. Asthma can be cause by numerous sources: dander, pollen, mold, pets, chemicals in the air, air pollution from automobiles, or from boilers, power plants, etc. Some people get asthma from perfumes

While you look at all the reasons why people get asthma, you will notice that environmental factors are one reason out of numerous:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/info...p#.UKR9yqXCEUU

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-14-2012 at 10:34 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 PM

13 posts, read 13,284 times
I've been heating my house this year with a wood stove fireplace insert. It does a decent job - raising the temp from 58 to over 80 with just 4 logs. If you're buying this stove new, make sure you get one with blowers. They REALLY project the heat a lot better than simply radiating.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:29 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I'm well aware that asthma can be aggrevated by many things. I want to be clear. It didn't cause an asthma attack. I felt like I wasn't getting enough oxygen. I can't explain it any other way. It was different from an asthma attack. I didn't need an inhaler. All I needed was fresh air.

I looked it up online and learned that wood burning is dangerous for people with respiratory and cardiovascular conditions because the particles in the air can cause PERMANENT damage to the lungs. It doesn't do this to healthy people because their lungs can expel the particles. It can cause heart attacks in people with cardiovascular conditions via hindering the amount of oxygen that reaches their tissues.

When I first came into the thread, my intent was to merely warn about the possible dangers for people who already have lung and cardiovascular conditions. I love wood burning stoves and fireplaces. As I said, a wood burning fireplace was on my list of wants when I was house hunting. I'm so glad I had an opportunity to experience what I did so I can mark it off my list.

And while many people love their wood burning stoves and fireplaces, I think it's important people with lung and heart diseases be informed of the risks. Anyone who would argue that really isn't taking into consideration the very life of another person since death is one of the risks.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
While all kinds of smoke (from any source) aggravates an asthma condition, the condition itself does not have to be caused by wood smoke alone. Asthma can be cause by numerous sources: dander, pollen, mold, pets, chemicals in the air, air pollution from automobiles, or from boilers, power plants, etc. Some people get asthma from perfumes

While you look at all the reasons why people get asthma, you will notice that environmental factors are one reason out of numerous:
What Causes Asthma? Who Gets Asthma?
I'm well aware of why people get asthma and things that cause attacks. That's really irrelevant to the this discussion. I never once said that wood burning causes asthma. I'm saying that people who already have the condition are at risk of permanent damage to their lungs if they are around wood burning.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 AM

Can we stop the over focus on asthma? I just happen to have asthma, but this is a serious danger for people with other lung conditions, COPD and emphysema, where it's important to retain levels of lung function for as long as possible. The damage done to the lungs isn't temporary, like an asthma attack, but PERMANENT damage to the lungs. And I wouldn't want to tempt fate if I had heart disease either. Imagine having a heart attack simply because your body wasn't getting enough oxygen because they were enjoying a wood burning fire.

I get it. You all love your wood burning stoves and fireplaces. Since you're healthy, that's great. But please don't defend it to the detriment of people who are unhealthy. There are serious risks for those people. Permanent life changing and life ending risks. This isn't something to take lightly or quickly disregard simply because you can safely enjoy something that might be dangerous for others.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
The most important thing we do with our wood stove is to have it inspected & stove pipe swept regularly.
Totally agree! For both safety and liability. I have asthma but no problem with the woodburner. My problem comes from extremely dry air (southern NM). Putting a pan of water on the stove doesn't do a thing. I have to boil water on my gas stove!! I've tried vaporizers but went thru 3 of them in 2 years. I guess I'll have to spring for one of the high dollar humidifiers.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:04 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Totally agree! For both safety and liability. I have asthma but no problem with the woodburner. My problem comes from extremely dry air (southern NM). Putting a pan of water on the stove doesn't do a thing. I have to boil water on my gas stove!! I've tried vaporizers but went thru 3 of them in 2 years. I guess I'll have to spring for one of the high dollar humidifiers.
Good point. The water on top of the woodstove disappears fast, so it must be doing something, but I'm looking into a humidifier as well.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Can we stop the over focus on asthma? I just happen to have asthma, but this is a serious danger for people with other lung conditions, COPD and emphysema, where it's important to retain levels of lung function for as long as possible. The damage done to the lungs isn't temporary, like an asthma attack, but PERMANENT damage to the lungs. And I wouldn't want to tempt fate if I had heart disease either. Imagine having a heart attack simply because your body wasn't getting enough oxygen because they were enjoying a wood burning fire.

I get it. You all love your wood burning stoves and fireplaces. Since you're healthy, that's great. But please don't defend it to the detriment of people who are unhealthy. There are serious risks for those people. Permanent life changing and life ending risks. This isn't something to take lightly or quickly disregard simply because you can safely enjoy something that might be dangerous for others.
Why don't some of us stop talking about lungs and hearts and talk about wood stoves instead?

Old 11-15-2012, 12:41 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Why don't some of us stop talking about lungs and hearts and talk about wood stoves instead?
Good idea!
Ours is being installed right now. It's a rather small one. 1.8 but should heat our 1620SF home. We did our homework, called the insurance company and talked to the city. We've hired someone to work with my husband on the installation. He has installed many stoves.
Most homes in our area have wood heat as an alternative heat source in their homes. I live in Oregon.
We have an all electric home. If power goes out, we'll still have heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House