Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 01:14 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times

Advertisements

While I like the basic idea of a front-loader I have a couple of questions..

-- Will ALL front loaders regardless of size accommodate a comforter or queen size spread?

-- I REALLY hate the issue of having to leave the door open to avoid a mildew smell. Something about that just bugs me. It's like I'd be buying something already know its basic design is faulty. You ought to be able to close the door of the dang thing.

Any info on things issues, please?

(I'm debating whether the comforter issue is worth the door aggravation)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 02:01 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Big size front loaders will wash your comforters. No problem.
You don't need to leave open your door ALL the time. Just wipe dry the rubber around the door after use, leave it open to dry out and close the door -
( the rubber gasket that lines the door left wet inside the door will smell after a while due to mildew ).
Also once in a while run a load on hot to kill any lingering odor-causing bacteria and wash away any stubborn residue that may be living inside your machine. And if your washer has a "clean cycle" option, by all means use it. Use "Afresh", chlorine or white vinegar when running a clean cycle.
Use only specialty HE detergents, and use only 1/2 as directed. You don't need the recommended amount to have all your clothes clean. Trust me. That's marketing gimmick, to make you buy it more often.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:55 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
-- Will ALL front loaders regardless of size accommodate a comforter or queen size spread?
IF you buy a large capacity model, it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
-- I REALLY hate the issue of having to leave the door open to avoid a mildew smell. Something about that just bugs me. It's like I'd be buying something already know its basic design is faulty. You ought to be able to close the door of the dang thing.
My mom taught me to always leave the lid up on a top loader (for air circulation and to avoid mildew/smells), so leaving the door open on the front loader is the same to me.
I never wipe my gasket; I use regular liquid detergent. I do not have a small/mildew problem.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 AM

452 posts, read 898,411 times
I like top load washers just because the wear and tear on them. Having 3 small children needing to wash tennis shoes is a major issue. The front load washers may have changed where there is no issue with the door coming open, ajar, or off balance, because of a heavy object. Just my 2cents, it is a fad with the front load just like stainless steel appliances. New stainless steel is the new frost white in appliances.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:34 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
the worst thing about the front loaders is when you forget something, you just can't throw it in.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:41 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
I've had a Maytag neptune for over 10 years and like a front loader because I can fit more in it including large comforters. I never leave the door open to air/dry and have no trouble with mold but I live in southern NM. My washer has a feature where you can stop it, and add something else to the load, after it has started so I think the new front loaders have that feature. And it is true; use the HE detergent and you do only need half of what they say unless you have a really dirty load (doggie blankets, yard clothes). However, the washer does tend to wrap clothes around each other and I don't think there is a washer manufactured that doesn't. Recently had to have the door sensor replaced and that repair was $250 (agh!!!!!)

Old 11-13-2012, 09:45 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
Really, on ours you just push the stop button and in less than 30sec the door unlocks, throw it in and push the button again and it starts back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
the worst thing about the front loaders is when you forget something, you just can't throw it in.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:32 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Really? What brand/model do you have that does not allow that?

I toss things in with no trouble!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Really? What brand/model do you have that does not allow that?

I toss things in with no trouble!

I am in the laundromat, the doors dont open, the water will come out. yikes.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Just wipe dry the rubber around the door after use, leave it open to dry out and close the door -
( the rubber gasket that lines the door left wet inside the door will smell after a while due to mildew ).
Also once in a while run a load on hot to kill any lingering odor-causing bacteria and wash away any stubborn residue that may be living inside your machine. And if your washer has a "clean cycle" option, by all means use it. Use "Afresh", chlorine or white vinegar when running a clean cycle.
Use only specialty HE detergents, and use only 1/2 as directed. You don't need the recommended amount to have all your clothes clean. Trust me. That's marketing gimmick, to make you buy it more often.
Glad to hear not everyone needs to deal with that.

Right now I have the appliances that were with the house and they're more than fine. And most of us, I would guess don't do comforters that often. I have to go to the laundromat to do mine, and while it's an extra step, it's not a dreaded chore. But I see the day coming when that gets old.

But the frugal person in me 1) doesn't replace things that aren't broken, 2) instead of replacing has things repaired anyway if at all possible.

So let's say it would break and the repair would be 250.00 that's still cheaper than a new set. Is a new set worth not going to the laundromat once a year?

I hate not knowing my own mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House